Black People Politics : OBAMA AND THE PALIN EFFECT

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by oldsoul, Sep 12, 2008.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    OBAMA AND THE PALIN EFFECT

Sometimes politics has the uncanny effect of mirroring the national psyche even when nobody intended to do that. This is perfectly illustrated by the rousing effect that Gov. Sarah Palin had on the Republican convention in Minneapolis this week. On the surface, she outdoes former Vice President Dan Quayle as an unlikely choice, given her negligent parochial expertise in the complex affairs of governing. Her state of Alaska has less than 700,000 residents, which reduces the job of governor to the scale of running one-tenth of New York City. By comparison, Rudy Giuliani is a towering international figure. Palin's pluck has been admired, and her forthrightness, but her real appeal goes deeper.
    She is the reverse of Barack Obama, in essence his shadow, deriding his idealism and exhorting people to obey their worst impulses. In psychological terms the shadow is that part of the psyche that hides out of sight, countering our aspirations, virtue, and vision with qualities we are ashamed to face: anger, fear, revenge, violence, selfishness, and suspicion of 'the other.' For millions of Americans, Obama triggers those feelings, but they don't want to express them. He is calling for us to reach for our higher selves, and frankly, that stirs up hidden reactions of an unsavory kind. (Just to be perfectly clear, I am not making a verbal play out of the fact that Sen. Obama is black. The shadow is a metaphor widely in use before his arrival on the scene.)
    I recognize that psychological analysis of politics is usually not welcome by the public, but I believe such a perspective can be helpful here to understand Palins message. In her acceptance speech Gov. Palin sent a rousing call to those who want to celebrate their resistance to change and a higher vision.
    Look at what she stands for:....CLICK HERE FOR .pdf DOWNLOAD

2. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    IMHO the pyshe of white america,and uncle/aunt Tom Amerikkka was exposed when george w bush was elected President for a second time (well i say he stole both elections).

These ignorant ,violence loving people,would rather pay $4.00 for gas,murder inocent people all over the worl,and listen to lies and jokes ratrher than issues,or work for peace and prosperity. The dumbest people are the trailer park trash that support a rligious nut like palin,these con-servatives are using them as slaves,lol they don't even know it,all they know is they can't vote for progression,just recession.

palin amounts to nothing more than a stand up comedian,who doesn't even write her own material. I think obama wins,the polls imo are not a close as they're acting. Obama is up in key states.

peace

3. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    He was not elected. He was appointed. Once by the eleCtoral college (IN TOTAL DISREGARD OF THE POPULAR VOTE) and once by the Supreme Court.
    You are right. Palin and the Republican campaign is a cesspool of undigested lies.

Never before have I seen a vice president upstage the president but that seems to be McCain's campaign strategy to stand in the side lines and shout "Go Palin, Go Palin!"

4. LadyLC

LadyLC Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    I believe that is the reason Palin was selected in the first place, for shock value and so that the Republicans can have their own "celebrity" as they have accused Obama of being. I am tired of hearing about this hockey mom and her pregnant daughter and the supposedly black baby daddy mess and more about the direction they want to take the country. Can folks not see that they are trying to distract America from the important things the election should be about?