Pan Africanism : Oba Iparankanru, WHAT IS YOUR CULTURE???

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Isaiah, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Please, my brother, explain what is YOUR culture... Elaborate, speill it out for us, because the floor is yours... Please explain, my brother(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. Oba Iparankanru

Oba Iparankanru Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh Ok, I think this thread should be changed to what is your culture, so people can share the aspects of their cultures. My culture is our foods, traditions, language and customs,

My language is Idaasha

Some of the foods i enjoy are
    boiled peppered chickens feet,
    dried snail, palm nut soup, ekute
    orunla, spicy corn/and meal

Then there are ceremonies when a child is born, and is growing
    such as naming, the shaping of the head,crowning, and the protection for when they grow
    to protect them from bad things, to name a few. also there are levels of spirtual recognition from personal to nation simular to yoruba.

Also we have many cotton works and cloth making, sculptures and masks of many types.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    boiled peppered chicken feet!?
    i think I'll stay here.

4. Oba Iparankanru

Ratings:
    +1
    lol shoot man it is gooooood especially with rice, those chitterlings are worse
    :puke2:

5. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm not eating Chitterlings, dried snail OR chicken feet. :puke:

6. Oba Iparankanru

Ratings:
    +1
    oh man, lol that smiley reminds me of one time when i ate thai food at westlake.. never again

7. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I like Thai food. Best place is on madison & boren. I wouldn't really eat anything at Westlake mall though.

8. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Young people don't talk to the elders anymore...the continuity is gone

This is interesting because I have friends in my own African American community that ate boiled chicken feet coming up and lot of people use to mix them with dumpling or noodles. Cornbread (sometimes spiced with peppers), hot-water cornbread, cow tongue, every part of the pig, but the squeal :lol: (chitterlings, hog maws, feet, ears, snoot, etc.)… ox tail soup, neck bone, buffalo fish, tripe (cow stomach), okra…fresh picked, cleaned and cooked mustard, collard and turnip greens, etc., etc., etc. There were many foods that were cooked more by the elders when I was a boy and are now not included in our diet or cuisine.

We didn’t particularly care for the white man’s food and especially his Barbeque. Most of the foods that whites prepared were very bland and they usually couldn’t deal with the spices in our dishes. (note - we came in contact with white people food only occasionally)

EVERY BLACK TABLE HAD SOME TYPE OF HOT SAUCE.

There were many medicinal and herbal concoctions (down home remedies) and a lot of wisdom and story telling, about everything from life challenges to stories about haints (spirits) and visions.

But times have changed, many people have passed-on (died) with their secrets intact (the big mamas and mot’ dears) and with the advent of fast foods and fast money, sisters don’t cook like they use too or if at all.

The further you go back, a broader scope of our particular cuisines and ethnobotanical skills are revealed.

Peace,

Brother Sun Ship

PS___by the way, I personally don’t eat a lot of those foods anymore, because my eating habits have changed and lot of that stuff wasn’t necessarily all that healthy, but when compared to today’s junk foods (seem to be consumed heavily by our people), I have taken a second look at our historical diets.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Oba, thanks for the insights on your culture - which is what ethnicity???

Another question I have for you is, what is AMERICAN culture?(smile!) Remember brother Oba, there was NO AMERICA 'bout 500 years ago... Some folk would certainly say there still aint no AMERICA... Think about this question before answering, brother...

I am sure that if you THINK about the question, you will come to understand some things about this term you are using...(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. Oba Iparankanru

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, I'm Nago, Ohori