Black People : NYPD Officer claims pressure to make arrests

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by hartwell, Mar 4, 2010.

1. hartwell

hartwell Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +252
    NEW YORK (WABC) -- An Eyewitness News investigation talks to a police officer who reveals the pressure they are under to make quotas.

When Officer Adil Polanco dreamed of becoming a cop, it was out of a desire to help people not, he says, to harass them.

"I'm not going to keep arresting innocent people, I'm not going to keep searching people for no reason, I'm not going to keep writing people for no reason, I'm tired of this," said Adil Polanco, an NYPD Officer.

Officer Polanco says One Police Plaza's obsession with keeping crime stats down has gotten out of control. He claims Precinct Commanders relentlessly pressure cops on the street to make more arrests, and give out more summonses, all to show headquarters they have a tight grip on their neighborhoods.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/investigators&id=7305356

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Well, Officer Polanco, WELCOME TO OUR WORLD!

*Sheesh! Black people have known this like....FOREVER.* :cool:

And Black and White cops do it.

Some aren't as nasty as others, but many of them will use "any means necessary" to make an arrest and to write tickets.

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

I can definately relate........

I see it everyday, it happens to some of my friends all the time and some of them are corrections officers, or hold other city/state positions!

It happened to me a couple of years ago while i was on the Grand Concourse around 10pm coming from playing a chess tournament @ a family members house with some friends and others who come and play with us all the time and i was walking to the 4 train with my board and clock in my book bag when 2 cops pulled up to me on the corner under a street light, jumped out like swat and the sgt. demanded that i tell them what's in my bag. When i refused, the rookie cop (who was obviously being shown the ropes) started to get closer to me and making threatening gestures as he was repeatedly reaching for his gun trying to intimidate me. While i was laughing at the rookie & asked what precinct they were from & he told me, the sgt (both cops were Latino's) gave me two options. 1) tell me what's in the bag, then open it slowly & let us see for ourselves - or 2) Be arrested & sent downtown to the tombs (he actually said the hood name for where they house blacks and latino's & very few whites who get arrested & the whites are usually some type of drug addict) for disorderly conduct & be given a summons/fine on top of the arrest.

It was around this time that i gave him 2 options....1) i will allow you to arrest me @ which time you will obviously search my bag, but after i call my lawyer you will have to show just cause as to why i was stopped and harrassed and forced me to surrender under the threat of being shot as your partner has threatened to reach for his gun about 10 times and you as sgt. and senior officer will take the weight & probably face a seperate racial profiling & conspiracy case (because they didn't follow protocol & never asked for my ID, & me knowing the street lights in that neighborhood have cameras in them recording 24/7 because it is a drug infested neighborhood) as well as a lawsuit in your honor.

Or

2) the same condition as #1, but after i call my lawyer I will quietly wait while you process my paperwork and it reaches your oncoming Captains desk (who is black & works at the same pct. & i gave his name) when they switch shifts at midnight! lol - they looked @ me like i was retarded of course, but the ace up my sleeve was that the Captain is a friend of mine & of my family and left the chess tournament about 20 minutes before me so he could go get ready for work!

I guess i didn't give them the reaction they wanted, or had them so confused with my arrogance toward them that they had a side bar at which time the sgt picked up his walkie talkie and pretended (i say pretended because there was no sound out of the radio before he picked it up) he had another call which was an emergency and they both headed toward the car and the sgt. while getting in on the drivers side pointed angrily at me and told me he would remember me & that next time he saw me with a bag he would not ask me twice.

I'm sure whomever they bumped into later that night or on their next shift would not be as fortunate as i was because they were out to get someone. I was just the wrong one thanks to what i have learned from being around our brothers in a group called "100 black men in law enforcement" here in NY)!

- just 1 of my personal run in's with cops trying to make quota's...

4. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    If this officer is taking a stand from within then he has applied Dr. Martin Luther Kings philosophy of "standing in the face of injustice", so that it is know that injustice exist

this officer probably has a family and things important to do also

in any event

I have been beat up, dragged, arrested by cops and the such, so this is no advocation for an overall lack of serving and protecting and holding up the law in any community

I respect this officer speaking up and I hope his intent is sincere

5. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    Officers making a quota.
    Tickets, arrests, summons..............and the beat goes on.