Black People : NY Exhibit

Ms Drea

Oct 16, 2004
Illinois
destee.com
Occupation
Educator
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speechless

<hr<hr

<hr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Assassination of Barack Obama: Freedom of expression or racism?

A controversial art exhibit was raided and shut down before it could be viewed in NYC yesterday.

According to the NY Times blog: Cityroom, Boston-born performance artist, Yazmany Arboleda, tried to set up a provocative art exhibition in a vacant storefront on West 40th Street in Midtown Manhattan with the title, 'The Assassination of Hillary Clinton/The Assassination of Barack Obama'.

The artist thought his racist views were protected under the Constitution because he was expressing himself through his art. Wrong.

Not 30 minutes after Arboleda set up the gallery across the street from the New York Times building, police, feds and secret service swooped in to shut the art exhibit down. While police covered the offensive storefront window with brown paper, Arboleda was led away in handcuffs to be 'interrogated'.

Arboleda, 27, learned the hard way that freedom has its limits. Later, in an interview, he said: 'It's art. It's not supposed to be harmful. It's about character assassination - about how Obama and Hillary have been portrayed by the media.' He added, 'It's about the media.'

View the offensive artwork after the break.

'In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
- Martin Luther King Jr.

as i tuned into the debate the other night and watched as barack talked about the ability of his VP to run the nation, I couldn't help but to get an eerie feeling when he said "heaven forbid something happen to me".....It was almost like a foreshadowing or something.....I hope I'm wrong, but I don't like when I get those feelings on the inside.......

It is an interesting exhibition!

Link below to view:

http://www.theassassinationofbarackobama.com/

"it explores the figurative, but highly effective attempts by the American populace to assassinate Barack Obama's reputation during his historic candidacy for president. [...] bold, unapologetic statements that reflect the extreme judgments and characterizations placed on the first competitive African American presidential candidate"

In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Speechless

<hr<hr

<hr

The Assassination of Barack Obama: Freedom of expression or racism?

A controversial art exhibit was raided and shut down before it could be viewed in NYC yesterday.

According to the NY Times blog: Cityroom, Boston-born performance artist, Yazmany Arboleda, tried to set up a provocative art exhibition in a vacant storefront on West 40th Street in Midtown Manhattan with the title, 'The Assassination of Hillary Clinton/The Assassination of Barack Obama'.

The artist thought his racist views were protected under the Constitution because he was expressing himself through his art. Wrong.

Not 30 minutes after Arboleda set up the gallery across the street from the New York Times building, police, feds and secret service swooped in to shut the art exhibit down. While police covered the offensive storefront window with brown paper, Arboleda was led away in handcuffs to be 'interrogated'.

Arboleda, 27, learned the hard way that freedom has its limits. Later, in an interview, he said: 'It's art. It's not supposed to be harmful. It's about character assassination - about how Obama and Hillary have been portrayed by the media.' He added, 'It's about the media.'

View the offensive artwork after the break.

'In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
- Martin Luther King Jr.

Ms Drea,

Satire, and racial at that, has no business disguising itself as Art nor receiving protection under the 1st Amendment! Good post!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back