Black Sports : Number of African-American baseball players dips again

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Destee, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,691
    Number of African-American baseball players dips again

ST. LOUIS – Major League Baseball, celebrating Jackie Robinson Day on Sunday, has the lowest percentage of African-American players since the earliest days of the sport's integration, according to research conducted by USA TODAY Sports.

The African-American population in baseball this season has plummeted to 8.05%, less than half the 17.25% in 1959 when the Boston Red Sox became the last team to integrate their roster, 12 years after Robinson broke baseball's color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers.

It's a dramatic decline from 1975, when 27% of rosters were African-American. In 1995, the percentage was 19%.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

I don't know if there have ever been any 'afrikan-american' baseball players in MLB.

On another note, they don't need them anymore. They've been all used up. Back when Robinson and others started to be allowed to play with the white boys, they were hand picked. Not neccessarily the best players from the 'negroe' leagues, but the white boys felt they were the best suited to play they're part and not try and make a ruckas. They don't call it "america's game" for nothing and like the 'right to vote' - right now they are taking it back.

"baseball is as american as moms apple pie" - well, we never had any of their mothers apple pie at the time that saying was coined. If fact, we were still being called 3/5 of a man and couldn'e walk thru the front door in places. Even Jackie Robinson will tell you the stories of how they wouldn't wash his uniform with the white players uniforms, so while his team was on the field getting ready to play, jackie was still in the locker room in his shorts waiting for his uniform. When it finally got there and he made it to the field, they would dock him for being late. :eeek:

They really feel that this is america's game and to let 'non-americans' take it over would simply be un-american.

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486

Cont'd:

Part of this story is played out on a small scale in the movie "LIFE" with eddie murphy and Martin Lawrence. They were working with and spotted the talent in "can't get right" when they let him hit the ball. A white boy comes along who is a scout for the major leagues and tells eddie and martin that if they are willing to allow can't get right to come play in the majors, that the white boy would get all 3 of them a pardon. Well, the white boy returns when he said he would, but the only thing was that he only came for "can't get right". He didn't get the other 2 pardons for eddie and martin. They were his handlers because "can't get right" was deaf and a mute, just the type of 'talented negroe' this white boy was looking for. Minus his handlers, "can't get right" would have to do and agree to everything the white boy told him because he had no one there who truly cared for him.

Another great example would be "bingo long and the traveling all-stars".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    While it is true that the percentage of African-American players in the MLB has dipped drastically, that does not necessarily mean there are less Black players in the league.

The MLB's "new Black" is the Afro-Latino (Manny Ramirez, Sammy Sosa, Alex Rodriguez etc).

5. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    Many american black kids do not consider baseball cool today. There have been efforts to stir interest. But in the late 60s thru thwe 70s baseball, left the core cities and moved to the burbs. This may have added to the problem

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587

I mentioned in an earlier thread that is was my generation when young Black athletes started leaning more towards basketball than baseball. The year mentioned in the article was my last year in high school and my experience with white coaches caused me to lose interest and I sure was not alone.1975.

I grew up watching Dodger legends such as Maury Wills, Willie Davis, Willie Crawford, Richie Allen, Al Downing and many more but that changes and over time brothers became virtually non existent but on the hoop court Kareem, Magic, Silk, Worthy....who cared about baseball?

I only started watching again a few years ago and now that the Dodgers have Matt Kemp they arose exciting but too much drama with the management.

Well. My grandpa and two uncles played pro ball and knowing how they got treated also played a role in my losing interest. So I'm not going to trip off the decline in black players because many teams long ago to switch to the Hispanic and Asian markets. They can have it.

7. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    well, we're only make up 12 percent of the population of the United States... so 9% sounds about right. why should their be more black players? Too many of our kids waste too many hours preoccupied with games while this life is out here ready to eat them alive.

8. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    I must admit, this is my mentality. Baseball is a boring sport to watch and play (unless you are a pitcher or at bat in my opinion) and a step up from golf as far as interest. There is a reason why the NFL is (currently) the #1 sport in the US. I have had people that told me that I do not appreciate the strategy of baseball and that I may have ADD... lol. Anyway, I love to play chess and that is more strategic than any baseball game in my opinion and baseball is just plain old boring, just speaking for myself here but I must reiterate that baseball is really boring.

9. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    its a sport that mitigates our athleticism.. our physical advantages are more apparent in other sports.. mainly football.. boxing.. basketball.. track and field..

10. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    Baseball is an extremely difficult game to play. There is a reason the salaries there far outpace the other sports. But when the owners abandoned the inner cities, it began the death knell for it as far as blacks are coincerned. It is tied to the civil rights movement.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. negroe baseball player talked about in the movie life