Nri Kingdom...the cradle of Igbo Civilization

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by Akobundu, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Akobundu

Akobundu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Divine being
    Ratings:
    +36
    Nri in the Awka area is the cradle of Igbo civilization and culture...it is the Mecca of Igboland...also one of the oldest kingdoms (if not the oldest) in Nigeria earlier than 500 BC...it was the spiritual and economic center of Igboland, parts of Edoland (later became the Benin Empire), and Igalaland (later became the Igala empire) at its prime in the 12nth-15nth centuries...their culture, tradition, and philosophy was centered on peace, harmony, knowledge, wisdom, justice, and oneness with Creation (Chi, Aja Ana, Anyanwu, Igwe, and etc) and the Creator (Chineke)...Eze Nri (Divine king of Nri) was the traditional Igbo pope and he and his mediators (real Nze and Ozo men) spread peace and civility throughout the land and found many settlements abroad...they are responsible for the Igbo Ukwu sites, Four market days, Nsidibi, Okonko society, Ozo/nze title systems, Igu alu, and etc...

Unfortunately they declined after the 15nth century due to internal disputes and the slave trade...this led to the rise of bloody imperialistic states like Benin and Igala and greedy commercial oracular oligarchies like the Aro Confederacy, Awka, Umunoha, and etc...however, Nri stood against slavery and the Osu caste systems and was still a safe haven for ALL PEOPLE...including runaway slaves...

The British hated the Nri Kingdom and until 1911, repeatedly attempted to invade Nri which always ended in complete failure....The British never defeated Nri militarily...they made negotiations and threats to Eze Nri Obalike (Last Divine King of Nri Kingdom before colonialism) that they will commit genocide against all Igbos if he did not commit a taboo of leaving Nri Kingdom (Eze Nris were not allowed to leave Nri)...Eze Nri Obalike agreed to leave Nri in order to save innocent lives...the British managed to almost destroy what was left of Nri's influence by 1911 through their mischief...

Nri people are descendants of Eri (manifestor) and his son Nri (manifestation) the fathers of Igbo civilization...Eri founded Aguleri and the Umueri clan through his other children but he gave his powers to Nri who migrated from Aguleri and founded the Nri kingdom...

The cross migration of Nri-Igboland was great...therefore it is impossible to say "I have more Nri then you"...there is a little bit of Nri in all of us...Igbo is Nri and Nri is Igbo...you are Nri and Nri is you...

*60% of African Americans have at least one Igbo ancestor...Igbo captives and traders also came in large numbers to Haiti, Jamaica, Belize, Trinidad, Dominican Republic, and through out the Western hemisphere

-Chi Bless

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Eze Nri Ènweleána II Obidiegwu Onyeso...16nth recorded King of Nri
    [​IMG]

And more...

http://www.chikodianunobi.com/pages/books-in-print/nri/tranditions_beliefs.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nri_kingdom

http://www.springerlink.com/content/r52vw2388641744h/

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/igbo/hd_igbo.htm

http://archaeology.about.com/od/iterms/g/igbo_ukwu.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKTP_HkpGd4

2. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Good to see you back Brother Akobundu, kedu?

I remember buying this book called "Igbo's: The African Root of Nations". It was pretty hardcore pseudo-science, but beautifully done and heavy with references and footnotes. I still want to do go through all of it again to double check.

But there can be no doubt of our migration and greatness, but what disturbs me the most --- is that our parents seem to hold much disregard for this kind of information. In that sense, we are the same as all our Afrikan brethren all over the planet - MISEDUCATED and IGNORANT of OURSELVES.

The best I could do was to make my dad pick up "The Problem With Nigeria" by Achebe. Good book though.

On the other hand, I see to many of our peoples (Igbos) that are arrogant towards other Afrikans, especiially "black" (Afrikans in amerikkka), this is a problem. I understand the Yoruba-Hausa tension, but why must we talk down on everyone else just because we are so proud of ourselves?

I'm a true separatist (see: Biafra), and I LUV my people too much - kai! But I can't find a simple good reasons to talk down on Benin peoples, River peoples, Akwa Ibom peoples, or Zulu peoples or east-Afrikans (commonly dubbed cattle-rearers by my parents). Man, I'm ranting - my bad.

What's good with you though, little Brother? Don't see you much over here these days. School?

Dig the Ancestral vibrations here, with Brother Lemar:

Bless,

- Ikoro

3. Akobundu

Divine being
    Ratings:
    +36
    Adima...I salute you...the book you mentioned sounds very interesting...have you heard of "After God is Dibia" part 1 and 2 by John Anenechukwu Umeh?

It is very unfortunate that most Igbo parents like most other Africans have almost total disregard for this rich information...the level of disregard by Igbo people is mainly due to the very devastating Biafran War...1967-1970 was the last years of the many many years of full scale stout Igbo resistance to imperialism...and right after the war, was when the devastating penetration of Evangelical Christianity nonsense really invaded Igboland...Christianity becomes huge in Africa mostly after a terrible event...the slave trade, colonialism, and mainly Western instigated wars are the greatest examples...my parents and their generation will tell you about how Evangelism became huuge in Igboland just recently right after the war...your parents will say the same...there are even some books on it...

"Kalu, Ogbu U. 1992: The Wind of God. Evangelical Pentecostalism in Igboland, 1970-1990."

"The Civil War Revival and its Pentecostal Progeny: A Religious Movement among the Igbo People of Eastern Nigeria (1967-2002)" University of Birmingham, 2004."

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache...and&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

and etc

The same is going on Rwanda to traditional women...imperialism through these neocolonial wars in Africa have a terrible effect on our rich culture...these wars destroy alot and we have alot of recovering to do...

http://www.rootsandrooted.org/?p=271

Many Igbos are ignorant of themselves because of the inadequate level of study about our history and culture due to colonialism and the war...also due to the fact that our main spiritual center that united most of us Igbos and etc, the Nri Kingdom declined in power 400-600 years mainly due to slave trade and internal issues...so a Pan Igbo identity is weak and due to the ignorance of ourselves, we look down on others without knowing we are the same people with common origin and disgrace ourselves by trying to copy our oppressors and valuing the nonsense...but our Pan Igbo is rising again slowly and with people like us, we will quicken the process...

I love the 1967-1970 Biafra...in fact I am a reincarnate of a Biafran soldier...my dad and relatives from both sides of the family fought in the war...we were severely unarmed, outnumbered, hungry due to Nigeria's blockade, and yet we held our own for three years, embarrassed Nigeria, killed many thousands of Nigerian soldiers, and successfully overcame a genocide attempt by the foreign powers (mainly the West) and their neocolonial Nazi Nigerian puppets...even with all the bullshyt we went through during the 70s being one of the poorest groups, we rose back up financially very quick...but not as quickly mentally and politically yet which is very understandable but not acceptable...but rather than create a new Biafra, I am more concerned on how to revive Igbo Civilization and unite so our neighbors will be forced to reconcile with us...some Ijaws have already started like Alhaji Mujahid Asari Dokubo:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200907130808.html

This way we will solve our ethnic tensions and go to the root of the problem...which is the control of our resources which are not righteously in the hands of the indigenous people but the rich elite...particularly the Muslim Northern Oligarchy of the terrorist police state of neocolonial Nigeria and their Western masters/pimps...

Bro, I have honestly been gone because I was dealing with self contradictions mainly due to internal issues and this destructive Western society...

And the ancestral vibrations are on point!

-Chi Bless

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Thank you for sharing those book titles!

I'm further interested in the history of any "arrogance" in Africa towards African Americans and other African peoples.

5. Akobundu

Divine being
    Ratings:
    +36
    We are all Nri

-Chi Bless

6. 360

360 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +148
    That is an interesting topic. I too am interested. Please share any information you are able to obtain sister cherryblossom and let us examine this together, comrade.

7. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    A little off topic: Is the Singer Lemar of Igbo heritage?

8. 360

360 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +148
    Yes, if anyone knows do tell. We must discuss the heritage, habits, thoughts, religion, body odor, sexual preference, height, relationship, political affiliations, and virtually anything else related to any living or dead entertainer.

Entertainers are the most important people in the world. If we don't pay attention to them we will all die. Our bodies' ability to function is directly related to how much we discuss entertainers and how devoted we are to worshipping their existence. Scientists have proven this. If you want to live, you have to follow the lives of entertainers. This is extremely important. Never forget this or you will end up like starving children on television who don't know anything about entertainers so their bodies slowly give way to nature and they die a miserable, horrible death. You also need to worship television for the same reasons.

9. Akobundu

Divine being
    Ratings:
    +36
    Its on topic a lil bit lol...and yeah he is...

10. Akobundu

Divine being
    Ratings:
    +36
    Bless^ god...I reposted the topic in the open forum

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nri civilization

2. nri kingdom

3. decline of nri civilization

4. The nri civilization,
  5. what led to the decline of nri civilization,