Black People : Now is the time to make Black Friday/ BLACK!

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ankhur, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    With a trillion dollars, how much is the corporate oligarchy expecting us to spend until Kwanzaa?

and can they afford to loose that 13 billion, from a national Black boycott?
    at a time,
    when the national economy is going down the sewer

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

At best, a boycott would only reduce some stress and possibly save a few lives and hard aches, it would have little to no impact on those with money who spend during this shopping trend, in my view.

3. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    well many folks said the same thing during the Briminghamabus boycotts,
    and it's a matter of historical record of how many of those companies either went out of business or suffered financialy for a decade after.

we didnt' have 13 billion to withhold back then, but we know ow many companies are dependant on us to be the pawns of crass consumerism, to meet their bottom line.

Wall street and Madison avenue are well aware fo the power of the black dollar, while many of us are still unsure.

The statistics about our spending pattersn around the holidays was alomst impossible to get due to the changes in certain search engines, but

the ones that did show up require a 2 thousand dollar plus subscription for the report, and if corproations will pay that to know our spending patterns

then there s some real power in our spending or withholding our dollars

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

Again, good thought, poor reasoning...To compare the Birmingham bus boycott with a propose Black Friday boycott, for me, takes on mixing apples and oranges; the stakes were much higher for black people fighting racism, juxtapose to consumer spending, which occurs across racial lines. Now if the boycott could suppress across racial lines, then it would have the overwhelming impact you seem to be seeking against the oligarchy, in my view.

5. Bxblasta

Bxblasta Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +160
    Good reasoning and observation all around. If blacks in America were to stop spending our money in these corporations this Matrix will come CRASHING down without an ounce of doubt. What is the color of faces you see in advertisements around Christmas? Black! They need our energy, they need our dollars, how else would they thrive with power if we were not the people providing them with a mean of control? To say a "boycott" of this nonsense they sell is useless, is like throwing in the towel.

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

Bxblasta,

It’s safe to say this quote(above) points to a misunderstanding of the position I’ve taken in this discussion; to say boycotting is useless and throwing in the towel, is not a good description of my view points. It is a misnomer to think the effects of blacks boycotting anything is not apparent, and that there is disagreement with a successful black boycott.

The bigger issue is to get from proposing a Black Friday boycott, or talking about blacks boycotting Black Friday, to the actual boycott. It is without question, the kind of impact we have when we come together and boycott, hence...the Birmingham bus boycott.

7. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    no misunderstadning you said racial lines and it is more then common knowledge , regarding the literaly billions of dollars that madiso Avenue spends advertising specificaly to the black community and the large number fo products, and foolishness targeted to our community.

it is also pretty much common knowledge to any economics high school student that the Christmas sales are the most important sales period, in the entire sales year

for any company selling products in the United States.

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

Big misunderstanding brother, did you not read to have an overwhelming impact against the oligarchy, you need more than just the black dollar? Are you without understanding the context of across racial lines?

Christmas sales? Who doesn't know that Christmas is Commericalmas, so to speak, winding down the merchants financial year, and not necessarily the reason for the season, what black person doesn't know this, Brother?

Address the bigger issue placed on the table, pulling off the boycott, making it happen is in front of us; If's and discussion only is meaningless, do we agree?

9. Bxblasta

Bxblasta Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +160
    Unfortunately alot of blacks do not know this and we suffer for our ignorance. Money plays a huge role if not the biggest among these oligarchies. Fiat money was created for the sole purpose of control. As little as 500,000 blacks boycotting all Wal-Marts for example will have Wal-Mart changing their tune overnight, I bet anyone on that one, but you are right, actions speak louder than words, and I don't expect blacks to boycott any company anytime soon SMH but I personally do my best to spend as little money as possible with these companies and it always have to start with self before it goes viral.

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

So, perhaps the focus should be on education, in order to make it happen, and not just the hypothetical; makes sense to me, Bxblasta. And I agree, like I said, anything we come together on and boycott would be successful, especially Wal-Mat.