Destee Network : Notebook Purchasing...heeeeelp!

Discussion in 'Destee Network :' started by Ireadastory, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Ireadastory

Ireadastory Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    Ok, I am really needing the advice of someone who knows. I want to buy a notebook computer and I have been approved for a Dell for $913.34 of course they jacked the price up from $709.00 by adding a warranty and only they know what else. What am I suppose to be looking for when purchasing a notebook? I want microsoft word and internet capability that is all I know. I want to break into freelance writing that is my purpose for purchasing a notebook. I don't necessarily want a credit card with Dell. I have one credit card and good credit and I like it like that. Can anyone help me pleaaaaasssse?

2. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

I purchased a Dell notebook for roughly about the same price. I have a Inspiron 1150 with pentium 4 processor, cd burner, 20 Gig hard drive and AT&T Egde wireless internet. I opted not to get Centrio Technology because I would never be in a hotspot long enough to rely on WIFI internet. What I did was went to several computer brand websites and built my Dell to my specific needs. If all you want to do is freelance writing and maybe check your email, bankaccount, news and have discussion on Destee then essentially all you need is a word processor with internet access. You shouldn't be spending that much. Another place to check is Best Buy and Circuit City. I would not buy a notebook that didn't come with a warranty or service plan. The key with any computer purchase is not to buy more than you need right away. The way technology is growing everything you have now will be obscelete in 2 to 3 years.

Peace

Radical Faith

3. Ireadastory

Ratings:
    +9
    Thank you Radical Faith. I really appreciate you helping me out. I have a desk top computer and as of yesterday I was going to sell it and use that money towards a notebook, but after I went home and got it ready to sell I decided to keep it until I save enough money to purchase the notebook without getting a line of credit with anyone. I just don't want to go into debt on a want and not a need. Thank you for your response.

4. Kelvin Brown

Kelvin Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full time Internet Marketer
    Ratings:
    +1

Unless you have a nearly new PC, you are not going to get much by selling it.

You would be much better off by keeping it as a backup to your laptop.You may also want to consider getting a docking station to go with the laptop.

Kelvin

5. Ireadastory

Ratings:
    +9
    Thank u Kelvin. I appreciate your advice.

6. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Ireadastory

The docking station is a very good idea. You may be able to plug your current monitor into the docking station and look at that instead of looking at the small screen on the laptop. I have a flat screen monitor at work and it's great.

I have a Dell Latitude D600 at work. If you don't like using that flat finger pad or that little pointer control in the middle of the keyboard on the laptop, then you should also purchase a USB Mouse for your laptop. I recently ordered a USB Mouse for my laptop. I'm not vere proficient in using those other options for controling the pointer.

And you will also need an adaptor for power. The batteries on laptops don't last very long.

Good luck on your purchase.