Black People : Not white = Black

Zulile

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 24, 2007
Occupation
HR/Finance
I grew up knowing this. Anybody not white, was Black. It was all about your features and the colour of your skin. The term Black encompassed all.. Indian, Palestinian, Brazilian.. even the Chinese. It was understood that the terms of race were white vs the rest - and although we referred to each other by nation and culture... ie Indian, Brazilian, Palestinian.. it was clearly understood it was US (Black) and THEM (white).

I was born and raised in a multi cultural/lingual family, and my formative youth spent over various continents. This concept I describe above, of white and Black was never questioned - it was known, accepted, believed and relayed in most aspects of life. An example which I experienced multiple times - Put together an Angolan, an Egyptian, an Indian, a Chinaman.. we could argue forever - add one Irish man in the mix and the vibe of the room changes. We would collectively group in our commonality - we are not white.

I did not recognize this for what it was at the time. I had never heard of the term White Supremacy, nor had I studied the politics of the world and the global marginalization of non white people. I was just living life.

I moved to Holland a few years ago and was astonished to learn about the serious divisions amongst 'Black' people. Holland has a large Moroccan and Turkish population - thus to me, Black folk (not being white) - but lo and behold, they refused to be called anything but their nationality or religious affiliation. This threw me off.. the depth of racism amongst people I had always recognized as being culturally different, but still.. Black. With one common 'enemy'. Hmmm. Ok. I mentally redefined the term and what it meant to me. I turned to to the people who looked like me.. only to discover that I would have to redefine the term again.. and again.. and again.

Needless to say, I wasn't happy - It sent me into a spiral of despair and depression - I felt I had lost a collective identity - not only that, my own upbringing seemed foreign to all, thus I had no connect to any people - as the definitions of being Black became so fine, I could not find my spot. Socially I was always 'foreign' and different - being Black wasn't enough to bond.

I went into a concious period of learning (still in it) and destee.com was the one place I found a sort of refuge, as it is very diverse, community orientated - and so much knowledge to be found within - drops enough names and info for me to continue research further. I'm like leech just sucking it all up! I have learnt so much in the last year my library has quadruppled in size.

I had found the true definition of being Black! African heritage was key - I learnt much about the African diaspora - ie the African American & the Euro-African, and the drive for 'Black' people of the West to obtain equality, recognition and empowerment. I understood Black as being a frame of mind, not only a colour. I have learnt that the language we use to communicate in contributes to our own marginalization - I have learnt that almost all we see, eat and hear feed this racial divide. Mind control. Add the direct physical attacks on Black people from the powers that be to your next door neighbour - and you know we are in serious strife!

I'm picking up my battle axe here!

I just dont know where to aim it, and why.

I am not Black - I am African - which is ironic, because I have always been African (Zulu). Thus, I am Black.

Sounds like an identity crisis - hahaha - it isn't. I have come to the conclusion that the modern day new 'Black' Man is fighting a battle within a larger battle - which is my old school 'Black' man. The aim remains the same: to eradicate white supremacy. The new Black man I can understand the desires, but the desired result are not global solutions as long as other "races" are being marginalized. The old school Black man I understand - wiping out white supremacy - but in order for it to be "just" it needs to include all non white people - who dont want to be Black. The more I read/learn the better I am able to define my own path within it all.

I thank all members for dropping their knowledge and thoughts here. If you got his far, thanks for reading my emotional purge ;)

:heart:
Zulile

eta - content may change as new informatoin becomes available - that's the joy of personal development - haha!

Zulile said:
I grew up knowing this. Anybody not white, was Black. It was all about your features and the colour of your skin. The term Black encompassed all.. Indian, Palestinian, Brazilian.. even the Chinese. It was understood that the terms of race were white vs the rest - and although we referred to each other by nation and culture... ie Indian, Brazilian, Palestinian.. it was clearly understood it was US (Black) and THEM (white).

I was born and raised in a multi cultural/lingual family, and my formative youth spent over various continents. This concept I describe above, of white and Black was never questioned - it was known, accepted, believed and relayed in most aspects of life. An example which I experienced multiple times - Put together an Angolan, an Egyptian, an Indian, a Chinaman.. we could argue forever - add one Irish man in the mix and the vibe of the room changes. We would collectively group in our commonality - we are not white.

I did not recognize this for what it was at the time. I had never heard of the term White Supremacy, nor had I studied the politics of the world and the global marginalization of non white people. I was just living life.

I moved to Holland a few years ago and was astonished to learn about the serious divisions amongst 'Black' people. Holland has a large Moroccan and Turkish population - thus to me, Black folk (not being white) - but lo and behold, they refused to be called anything but their nationality or religious affiliation. This threw me off.. the depth of racism amongst people I had always recognized as being culturally different, but still.. Black. With one common 'enemy'. Hmmm. Ok. I mentally redefined the term and what it meant to me. I turned to to the people who looked like me.. only to discover that I would have to redefine the term again.. and again.. and again.

Needless to say, I wasn't happy - It sent me into a spiral of despair and depression - I felt I had lost a collective identity - not only that, my own upbringing seemed foreign to all, thus I had no connect to any people - as the definitions of being Black became so fine, I could not find my spot. Socially I was always 'foreign' and different - being Black wasn't enough to bond.

I went into a concious period of learning (still in it) and destee.com was the one place I found a sort of refuge, as it is very diverse, community orientated - and so much knowledge to be found within - drops enough names and info for me to continue research further. I'm like leech just sucking it all up! I have learnt so much in the last year my library has quadruppled in size.

I had found the true definition of being Black! African heritage was key - I learnt much about the African diaspora - ie the African American & the Euro-African, and the drive for 'Black' people of the West to obtain equality, recognition and empowerment. I understood Black as being a frame of mind, not only a colour. I have learnt that the language we use to communicate in contributes to our own marginalization - I have learnt that almost all we see, eat and hear feed this racial divide. Mind control. Add the direct physical attacks on Black people from the powers that be to your next door neighbour - and you know we are in serious strife!

I'm picking up my battle axe here!

I just dont know where to aim it, and why.

I am not Black - I am African - which is ironic, because I have always been African (Zulu). Thus, I am Black.

Sounds like an identity crisis - hahaha - it isn't. I have come to the conclusion that the modern day new 'Black' Man is fighting a battle within a larger battle - which is my old school 'Black' man. The aim remains the same: to eradicate white supremacy. The new Black man I can understand the desires, but the desired result are not global solutions as long as other "races" are being marginalized. The old school Black man I understand - wiping out white supremacy - but in order for it to be "just" it needs to include all non white people - who dont want to be Black. The more I read/learn the better I am able to define my own path within it all.

I thank all members for dropping their knowledge and thoughts here. If you got his far, thanks for reading my emotional purge ;)

:heart:
Zulile

eta - content may change as new informatoin becomes available - that's the joy of personal development - haha!
In understanding how the world is run among people, rather than attempting to establish some sort of cultural identity in your interaction with other people, try attempting to establish justice. Counter-Racism is about problem solving. The problem of racism (white supremacy) should be solved before or in the process of solving all other problems. That is the focus.

Picture this...people come to you for help in solving their problems. You go to others seeking help in solving your problems. That should be the focus of every non-white person.

You will not get pushback from other non-white people when they see you are sincere in helping them to solve problems. You may get a strange reaction initially because usually we are not used to other non-white people asking us if there is any problem they need help with solving today. So you may get some strange looks initially but that will wear thin quickly once you begin to help people. When you become focused on producing justice and getting other people focused on producing justice you may not ever have to bring up the topic of race but the white people who practice racism (white supremacy) will become more and more focused on you.

Just like Obama right now. That is why they are after him. He hasn't used the word justice yet. He's been talking about "change". Well if you have injustice and you want to change it if you change it at all you'll have to change it to justice. Any other so-called change is just more injustice. But he hasn't used the word justice yet. Even in his speech he said "We the people, in order to form a more perfect union" and he stopped right there. Well the next two words in that paragraph are "establish justice"...so he's heading in that direction. And they know it, which is the reason they're talking about the speech so much. They know where he's headed and how many people he's taking with him and so they attempt to derail him. But there is no way to counter counter-racism. So they will end up derailing themselves while attempting to derail him.

Just focus on producing justice by solving problems without producing more problems and take everybody with you and you will not have to even mention race. The racists (white supremacists) will take notice of you. A lot of non-white people may not know what's going on but the white people who practice racism (white supremacy) are gonna take notice immediately.

Try it out and let me know what happens. I enjoyed reading your post very much.

jamesfrmphilly said:
you grew up under a system of white supremacy. under that system, white people define who is what.
as you know, i reject that. free black people define themselves. free black people think for themselves.

peace
I'm still in the process of growing up.

In this universal prison SYSTEM of injustice where the major injustice is the mistreatment of people on the basis of color this is how it works...

The Warden (White Person Who Practice Racism (White Supremacy): OK, you prisoners go ahead and decide what to call yourselves...you are free to do that. And you can call yourselves anything but wardens because you are not in the position to function as the warden. all you people function as prisoners. Go ahead and define yourselves while you are in my prison SYSTEM. Here...wait a minute...I'll help you compose a list because you act like you don't know where to start. Let's put black on that list. Now some of you don't want to be black because of the way I treat black people so let's put african american on that list. Now some of you don't want to put african american because of the way I treat african american people so let's put negro on that list. Now some of you don't want to put negro because of the way I treat negro people so let's put african on that list. Now I have trained most of you to dislike the so-called african, which is really a name I made up, and trained them to dislike you so let's put afro-asiatic on the list. Now some of the so-called asian people don't want to be associated with the so-called african people because of the way I treat so-called african people. I do give the so-called asian people access to more things but I treat them the same way I treat you...you just don't understand how I do what I do so you don't know it. Let's put indian on the list even though so-called india is in the so-called asian cell block but the people in the asian cell block know I ain't gonna give them access to more things if they say the indians are asians so to keep getting access to more things they don't want to be associated with indians so we have to put indians on the list. Let's also put mexicans and brazilians on the list even though mexico and brazil are in the america cell block they are not looked at as americans because I have convinced the so called blacks and the so-called browns and others that they are in the american cell block and being there means they will get access to more things and I have trained them not to want to share that access to the things I give them with more people so they don't want to be associated with the brazilians and mexicans...and all of you people are in the same prison. You people are so smart you're dumb.

Look I've got you people so divided and working against each other I'm gonna take a vacation from the prison and you will not even see me but you'll keep up the good work because most of you don't even believe you're in a prison of injustice anyway. So keep building that list and working against each other. Go ahead...define yourselves. My prisoners. (*chuckles*)

Now it ain't supposed to be that way and if people plan on replacing that prison SYSTEM with a SYSTEM of justice you're gonna hafta start from where you are. It's like reading a map. The first thing you wanna figure out is where you are. Then you figure out where you want to be. Then you take the most efficient, straight forward, logical route to get from where you are to where you want to be. This is called linear thinking. We do, most often, what is called circular thinking where we go from problem perception, away from problem resolution, down a diversionary path, and back to problem perception.

Stay focused on the objective.

Replace White Supremacy With Justice.

***updated***
Sorry, I got sidetracked while writing and didn't finish part of it. After re-reading it I completed it.
***updated***

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back