Black Education / Schools : Not University Bound - Why ACT?

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by medusanegrita, May 25, 2010.

1. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    My baby is GRADUATING!

No big deal, everyday occurrence for some of yall, but this is only the 2nd person in my family in about 3 generations or more who ever graduated from high school.... and i didn't think we would get here. I was preparing and offering him alternatives like Job Corps because I wasn't sure if he was gonna graduate.

He's actually the 2nd first person to graduate because even tho my brother did graduate, he did nothing with that education whatsoever and could barely count change.

Anyways, I started 3 different colleges and never took an ACT or SAT. I don't prefer these test and avoided them at all cost and I'm glad I never took them. I never been to a University, so maybe that's why I never had to take them.

My son has decided on vocational school or community college, but they gave him ACT papers to fill out and register to take the ACT.

Is this necessary? I know he can get grants, loans, and scholarships without these test. I don't want him to take them.

What is the ACT for and should I at least consider filling them out or what?

If he doesn't have to and he can maneuver his way through college, vocational school, and life then I am not going to encourage him to take these test. The only thing I ever had to take was a placement exam and that was for only one school.

2. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    He doesn't have a choice. Either he takes the test, or he ain't getting into no school - just like he couldn't graduate without taking some form of a graduation test(or is it different in your state?).

The SAT and ACT serve the same purpose: they evaluate a student's understanding of the material he or she learned in HS and determine their readiness for college.

Statistically, AAs do better on the ACT than on the SAT so make sure that's the one he's taking.

Why you don't want him taking that test? Whats your problem with standardized testing?

3. warriorprincess

warriorprincess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +201

Congratulations!
    That’s good news. You must be so proud. Its tough out here for young people for so many reasons and to make it through all of the muck and mire is quite an accomplishment.

As far as community college goes, I am of the same mindset. Most would not need a student to take an ACT or SAT. As you mentioned, I am more familiar with the requirement that students take a placement test or some other type of test such as COMPASS. I am not sure where you are located but I would definitely look around as different schools require different things. I know of one community college off hand that doesn’t require it either exam but does have some other type of placement test. I just checked.

Some students in 2 year colleges or community colleges are setting themselves up on a path to transfer to a 4 year college at a later date. Maybe there are different requirements depending on the path.

However there are many career paths that only require the two years of college, associates degree, what have you. Aside from the community college route, you have certificate programs. Some of these are even online, which can be a nice option. I know off hand of certificate programs for paralegal studies that are 2 years or less. I am not sure of the requirements though.

There are also a lot of technical programs in the health profession that are around the two year range.

What types of fields is he interested in? He is so fortunate to have some one help him to figure all of this out. So many parents are hands off when it comes to this stuff. Lol. I know mine were.

4. warriorprincess

Ratings:
    +201

My son has decided on vocational school or community college, but they gave him ACT papers to fill out and register to take the ACT.

I just realized that there is a they in this sentence. Who are they? Highschool guidiance counselors perhaps? If so, I would take in what they say and do my own research.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Congratulations Sister MedusaNegrita and SON !!! :toast: :toast: :toast:

I know you are proud of him! Thank you for sharing this great accomplishment of his (and yours) with us!

Years ago my Daughter was more involved with the community (when she was a teenager), and she wrote a small article for us titled, [ame="http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19256"]Have you taken the SAT and ACT?[/ame] She includes some particulars regarding each test and you might want to let your Son read it.

As a result of your question above Sister, I asked her today, what is the purpose of the ACT. She said that it (and tests like it, the SAT, GRE, etc.,) is basically a placement test, used primarily to determine how much of the high school information the prospective student already knows (though she had to take both upon entering high school). She said that these tests are used to help providers of higher education determine where to place the new student. For example, not all hgh schools produce the same level of students, as some actually graduate students without them having 8th grade reading or comprehension skills and some graduate college level students. So these tests help the prospective schools know where the new student falls, if they are ready (right in the door) for college level math, or if they need some additional help to get them up to speed, before tackling calculus or something more rigorous.

She said that while it may not be required in every institution to complete an ACT or SAT, some type of placement test will be required, for it's the only way the school can know if the student is actually ready for their curriculum. It would be to the detriment of the student and the institution, to place the child in a class they are not academically ready for. Likewise, it would be detrimental to both, if they arbitrarily placed him in a remedial math class, and he's a math wiz. The placement tests help with these kinds of scenarios.

Colleges and universities do look at these numbers (results) to help determine if the student is ready for them, though they are not the only determining factor. While a Yale or Harvard may require high test scores, a community college or vocational school won't require the same high results.

I also got the impression from her, that the test isn't something that should be feared. Just tell your Son to go in and do his best. There is no pass or fail, for again, it's basically an assessment of what he already knows.

Sister MedusaNegrita ... i get the impression from you, that you're not a "test taker" kind of person. I've heard of some folk that simply freeze up when the word test is even mentioned, even though they probably know all the material. If this is the case, that you have some reluctance to test taking, you probably don't want to pass that on to your Son. Instead, encourage him to do his very best, give him your confidence in him, and let him work his magic! Oftentimes, as Parents, we instill our fears into our children unaware. With this in mind, I'd be encouraging the baby to take every test he wants, moving on up that educational ladder as far as he can.

I believe even vocational / trade schools require some sort of placement test, so it's going to be difficult getting around them. Since it is difficult, embrace them instead, letting your young Man know that we're all pulling for him!

He can do it, and do it well! :toast:

If you have any more specific questions, let me know and I'll ask my own personal expert ... my Daughter ... for I did not go to college or take any of these tests ... but I know someone who did! :D

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

6. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Please at all costs encourage, and this sounds hard, test tacking skills among one young ones.
    Unless the youth are living in amajor city with major Black buinesses it will be almost impossible in todays and tommorows job market to get a craft union job, like carpenter, plumber, electrician, bricklayer.

Those not college bound in big cities depend on civil service which has allowed millions of Black folks to live comfortably , and enough so to send their children to college, and mostly private schools, but in other areasof the nation it would be good to look into medical or accounting professions at some level, because regadless of how the economy is, those professions will keep one in a stable income.

But please be aware that these hard times and absence of affirmative action,
    competition is and will be very high, so all pluses cancel any minus

7. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +877
    First, Congrats on your son's achievement! I agree with Ankur. I know for many health organizations they are leaning towards bachelor prepared nurses over those with an AA in search for more knowledge of evidence based practices and critical thinking scenarios. We have many nurses who have 10-20 years of experience going back to school for bachelors and masters and a few doctorate.

8. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Thank you all for the congrats! I'm very geeked! :em2300:

He's neutral or indifferent, one or the other. He even said he wasn't going or that he didn't care if he went, but now that everything is in place, I'm sure he's going to be proud and smiling as he walks across that stage to get his diploma. I think I'm going to get 'ghetto' and scream.
    For some of yall who think poor black folks don't value education and why some of us are always screamin and hootin and hollarin at graduations.... you just don't know. We don't tell you our stories out of the shame that goes with it.

I waited until the last minute because as I said, I stayed positive about him graduating but I wasnt so sure he was gonna do it. I just ordered the gown last Tuesday. I called the school about getting the gown and gave me the website of the company they are using this year. The website said there wasn't any more available. I called the school again and they gave the company's representative to get the gown. I called him the day before he was set to deliver the gowns, got my order in, and picked up it up yesterday. The graduation is TODAY!

These are my children and I'm sensitive so my words are guarded (as guarded as can be for somebody sharing stuff all over the friggin board, but anyways....). I never graduated. Had no idea of the process. My son has practically gone to a different high school all 4 years. I thought all he needed to get was the 24 or so creds. Well up until about 2 months ago, he was falling short of that. 3 weeks ago, he made the credits but tells me about a test he was suppose to take or else he wouldn't graduate. I knew nothing about this test, I didn't even know a seperate test was required to graduate. His present school did not have this test (a Constitution test) and I had no idea where he took it. I contacted the counselor and she told most kids take this test their freshman year and I gave her the school he went to his freshman year.

She never called me back to confirm that he took it and passed and....I'm little skerd so I don't call her, I just got my inner voice telling me that I'm gonna have a graduate. But he gets all his creds, nobody has told his is not graduating so I go ahead and order the gown at the last minute. Go pick it up at the school today...... and get called into the principles office.
    Oh crap, this does not sound good.

She tells me he has 26 creds, and that he PASSED the Constitution test that I had no idea he needed and took his freshman year :em2300: ..... so why am I sitting in the principles office of a graduating senior? Because they got all this information at the last minute, and his name is not on the LIST to graduate.
    What? I feel panic but there's a part of me that's saying 'calm down, it's all good.' And his principle has this very low and somewhat dour monotone that sounds like she's about tell you someone died or got shot, so I'm not hearing any hope in her voice.

Turns out, the LIST is the list of names they put on the program... the type of program that tells what's happening at an event and in what order. His name is not on that. But he will be able to walk across the stage and get called for his diploma. Someone pricked my head with a pin and let out all the hot hair, and now I'm cooled and relieved.

Because we ain't that dam smart. Yes... we. My kids take after their parents, and they have a momma that didn't graduate, scores lows on IQ test, and a special-ed daddy that did graduate but is a complete imbecile. Alright, I won't do my kids daddy like that, thats my resentment talkin... he's a good man, works hard and he's dependable but seriously he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed. If you know what a TABE test is, he scores about at about the 8th grade level... and this is for someone who graduated.

My oldest kids struggle academically, emotionally, behaviorally, and psychologically. They are special ed kids who diag keeps changing, but still SD/LD/BD or something like that. School is not an easy task and getting through it was/is difficult.

I know some yall hate that they seem to push kids through school that seem like they don't know anything or are not learning, and I understand this and agree, but sometimes you just wanna get through it and get the hell out of it. Such is the case here and with me personally. If would stayed in school I would be a graduating at 20 years old from high school.... feeling like a dumbbutt with a C or D average... or less. I admit it, some of my son's teachers gave it to him... gave him the least grade he needed to pass instead of what he actually deserved, bless their hearts, but they will not be disappointed.

We aren't the smart people who can gloat about making a 1600 on a SAT, or an 800 on am ACT. If anything, chances are these test will show us to be academically deficient. THAT'S why I don't want him to take it and am discouraging of it. Plus I talked to the principle today. She said the ACT test is $35, and if the test is taken for the schools that don't require it, they will still look at it and use it to gauge your academic readiness and preparedness. But in the schools that don't require it, they usually have their own Accu-placer tests. I prefer him to take those test instead of these ACT/SAT things.

Now I got children that are quite smart. My one daughter was nominated by a teacher to go to Washington and represent herself in some kinda young Leaders program and get to the meet the president and all that, and she's only a 6th grader (couldn't go, it cost nearly 2 grand that I ain't got). She does well in school. Now her.... she would probably do good or great on the ACT/SAT, and maybe I wouldn't be so discouraging of it for her.... but again if she ain't gotta take it I prefer that she not.

As for vocational training, my son has a grand interest in cars (ofcourse :em3700: :rolleyes:) and he did very well in technical school were he took automotive technology. He can fix dam near anything wrong with a bike (take 'em apart and put them together), and he already knows how to fix or pay attention to how fix a few things on a car, like changing brakes, changing a starter and alternator (he does some of this with his dad, so maybe he's not really an imbecile. I don't know how to fix a car except change a tire and check oil levels so I'm more stupid about that than they are. Stupidity is relative).

He also likes computers and electrical technology so he's looking into combining these interest working and studying in diesel mechanics. The wave of the future is hybrid cars, which will deal a lot of computer and electrical parts, and (according to a recruiter for an out-of-town tech school) there's a broad range of possibilities in diesel mechanics -cars, buses, airplanes, trains, water treatment, the electrical and heating companies, etc.

He needs to be in the classes with the more hands on stuff, and the sciences and math he takes will all be related to what he's actually learning in the hands-on... not separate like in prerequisites you have for college. There is a community college diesel mechanics program I'm going to look into, but I'm sure they have the prereqs. I'm also looking into a few more vocational schools to see if the ACT is required or not.

I got 'em. He's good. They all are. Yall just need to realize that not everybody is gonna follow the same program that you designate as the only good way to succeed. And how do you know that.... if you don't know or understand the other side of things?

Maybe that's why I'm here. Maybe not. Hell if I know.

9. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

This is a myth that has been circulating in the /US nursing world for years! its not gonna happen, the nursing shortage is now at a critical level(over 100,000 RNs are needed in the US last time i checked)so I doubt ANY hospital will turn away nurses just because they hold an AA degree.

The nurses going back to school do it to get out of floor nursing/and or for more $.

10. warriorprincess

Ratings:
    +201
    True. The same can be said for PA (physician assistant) programs. They have a lot of these programs at community colleges as well.

The Health Care Industry is going to need all the help that it can get in coming years.