Black People Politics : No, We have not been conned by Obamacare

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Full Speed, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    No, We Have Not Been Conned By Obamacare
    By RICK UNGAR
    Robert Lenzer posted a piece today here at Forbes under the title “We’ve Been Conned; Obamacare Will Not Save a Cent”. In the piece, Mr. Lenzer argues that the president admitted that he never really believed that healthcare reform was going to save money during a speech Obama gave Friday where he said, “As a consequence of us getting 30 million additional people healthcare, at the margins that’s going to increase our costs.”

While I would agree with Mr. Lenzer- and others seeking to use the line in a ‘gotcha’ moment- that this was not the best possible choice of words, or at least required further explanation, these analysts are either purposely missing the point – or simply did not understand the context of what the president was saying.

Let’s try and clear it up.

The recently published CMS report on costs states that “relative to our February, 2010 projections under the prior law, average annual growth in national health spending over the projection period [2009-2019] is estimated to be 0.2 percentage point higher than our previous estimate.” The report also points out that the number of uninsured people in the country will be reduced by 32.5 million.

No, We have not been conned by Obamacare

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    No we have not been conned,
    in fact it is clearly stated that the new bill is not only

a Bail out for the HMOs
    that were created by Richard Milhouse Nixon as extortion for the consumer to pay for medical care,

it also says that each citizen is a victim that must use the services of an HMO

by law or face penalties.

And to make sure things go smoothly
    a former HMO lobbyist was put in place (in fact a woman who noted by Bill Moyers;
    lead the battle against Single Payer System)

as the new health Bill Czar.

People aren't stupid!!!!!!!!

What is the markup for the HMO?,
    from the old systm, before the republicans put thisCASH GATE in place?

If a Drs bill is $300,
    the doctor gets 1/3 and the HMO gets the rest,
    (ever wonder why he only sees you for 80 seconds and throws a prescription in your hand?)

Hence the real reasons why the health costs are so high.
    Multipy that EXTORTION,
    by 80 million people!!!!

In other words EVERYONE would have health care and it would be affordable, for the government, even wthout nationalized health care or a public option,
    if the HMOs were abolished!!!

now it's not just the extortion as an ish it's the good ole pharmaceutcal companies,
    who were at the bargaining table to get this bill written when you and I were not invited

According to Gary Null the markup on pharmaceuticals, some have as much as now get this 800% markup or better

and guess what? the bill refuses to
    touch that bit of extortion as well!

What a racket!
    the FDA keeps you sick and the
    Medical Industrial Complex Pimps your misery!
    giving you a prescription to counter the side effects of the prescriton they gave you before.

3. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,731
    I just simply don't understand the politics behind this healthcare issue at all. All I know is this past summer when I had to take care of my own child and have his eye appointment, eye glasses and etc., instead of dividing up my payment into three steps as I had always been allowed to do in the past, this time I had to come out of pocket and pay about $350.00 all at once or else, my child would have to go without. And when I had to go to the doctor, instead of paying $50.00 co-payment, it went up to $70.00 co-pay for an office visit. And now, I'm wondering why the change.

I believe that this kind of issue is going to sack a lot of middle class people. Their children are going to suffer and parents are not be able to take their kids to the doctor, and etc. I'm wondering if the government is forcing people to pay high prices now in order to cover cost to pay for people who are on welfare? If so, this will be one way that middle class people will soon become poor and dependent and also forced to go on welfare...communism...

It seems like an attack being made on the middle classes, a situation that might soon escalate into race hatred and class wars...in my opinion...

People might start voicing that they don't want to pay for poor peoples 'illnesses' and etc...

4. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    You see there is rhetoric pro and con

but when a hard woring Black mother is put through hell , getting care for her children , when times are hard and everyones wallet has been stretched t the limit,

then we all feel that pain!!!

Practically every Progressive website mentions this, and Single Payer Advocate
    this is what the doctors for Single Payer had to say;

Instead of eliminating the root of the problem - the profit-driven, private health insurance industry - this costly new legislation will enrich and further entrench these firms. The bill would require millions of Americans to buy private insurers' defective products, and turn over to them vast amounts of public money.
    The hype surrounding the new health bill is belied by the facts:
    About 23 million people will remain uninsured nine years out. That figure translates into an estimated 23,000 unnecessary deaths annually and an incalculable toll of suffering.
    Millions of middle-income people will be pressured to buy commercial health insurance policies costing up to 9.5 percent of their income but covering an average of only 70 percent of their medical expenses, potentially leaving them vulnerable to financial ruin if they become seriously ill. Many will find such policies too expensive to afford or, if they do buy them, too expensive to use because of the high co-pays and deductibles.

www.pnhp.org

5. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    My personal issue with the current health care plan is twofold. First it the excessive cost and next is the fact that when I have taken my children to the ER or a doctor's office I get not one but 3 or 4 different bills from companies that I never heard of such as radiologist and pathologist and the like. To top that off, they run test that are completely useless to increased the bill even more. As an example, once my wife was spotting during pregnancy, it increased to a more heavy flow. We went in to see the doctor and he checked her and said that she would probably have a miscarriage. He then wrote orders for about three different test. I asked him what the test where for and what would they tell him that could help prevent the miscarriage. He told me that she could go on bed rest, but that there was nothing that could be done to prevent a miscarriage and it isn't know if bedrest would actually help. I told him that if there was no practical reason to have the test I don't want them. He looked at me as if I has slapped him across his face. I said "Well, based on your own response there is no practical reason to take these test, I'm not interested in helping to pay for your lexus and sending your kids to college when you can't tell me a single benefit to taking these test"

I doubt very seriously that these health care providers and insurance companies are breaking off a piece to the government. I am sure the price increase is in anticipation of increased cost they are expecting once the health care plan takes effect. It is sort of like gasoline. Something happen in world news and in anticipation of some event they increase the cost to the end user....speculators. The actual expenses may go down rather than up, but they USE the uncertainty as an excuse to increase their profits.

6. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    I doubt very seriously that these health care providers and insurance companies are breaking off a piece to the government

What is there to doubt? the facts are there

Total Health sector expenditures from 1998 to 2010 was $3,980,184,031

Health expenditures increased $97,579,000 or 22% from 2007 to 2009

Sub Sectors

Pharmaceuticals/Health Production sector – 18% increase since 2007 as the determined pharmaceutical and health services industry increased lobbying to fight against the democrat lead health care bill. The big spenders in 2009 were:
    Pharmaceutical Research & Mfrs of America (PhRMA), is an exceptionally powerful and influential lobbying organization that represents 48 of the largest pharmaceutical companies. In 2009 alone it spent $26 million defending pharmaceutical intellectual property rights, fighting against price controls, creating favorable regulation, and a broad attack against healthcare reform. PhRMA also uses numerous other organizations to advocate on its behalf.
    Pharmaceutical / Health Product companies –
    Lobbying amongst all pharmaceutical companies was concentrated on overturning healthcare reform. Other lobbying interests included those lobbied for by PhRMA as well as specific industry related tax breaks. Largest individual lobbying expenditures included:
    C Pfizer Inc spent $24,619,268 in 2009 as compared to $12,180,000 in 2008
    Amgen Inc $12,440,000 in 2009 as compared to $10,800,000 in 2008
    Eli Lilly $11,215,000 spent less than 2008 amount of $12,485,000
    The next 10 largest pharmaceutical companies all spent between $5,000,000 and $9,000,000.

Health Services/HMOs sector – increased spending almost $23,000,000 a 45% increase over 2008. This sector represents large health care insurance companies like United Health Group ($4,770,000), Blue Cross / Blue Shield ($4,700,000), and Humana ($3,180,000).

www.redesigntheparadigm.com

7. Chevron Dove

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,731
    23,000 unnecessary deaths annually...

Millions of middle-income people will be pressured...leaving them vulnerable to financial ruin if they become seriously ill...high co-pays...

This confirms my assumptions. Wow! This just doesn't sound good at all.

8. Chevron Dove

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,731
    she would probably have a miscarriage.

In my opinion, that was a terrible thing to say coming from a doctor. I don't believe that he would want another doctor to say that to him or his wife if they were looking forward to a new little life trying to come through. I honestly don't believe that about miscarriages not being prevented. But now I wonder about other studies and why he felt the need to seem so insensitive. This makes me think about another issue. I wonder if this Health Care Bill will cause doctors to take advantage of people based on the way that they feel about the law and changes going on today. I hope you went for a second opinion or something.

9. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    Drs like Kamau Kokaii and Dr Laiila Africa, also Dr.Brbara Justice, as well as Kass Ingram,

who are versed in naturopathic as well as aleopathic medicine, have a much different mindset, approach and attitude.

10. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    Since corporations have Human Rights now,
    the term Good,

no longer means the citizen and the tax payer,
    but the Bottom Line in increased revenue and greed, by any means necessary,
    regadless of who suffers,
    this plan is very good to help HMO CEOs get their 3rd yacht and 4th mansion

case in point/ the same corporate mindset that threw 6 million of your and my relatives overboard,
    has run the nation since Reagan, and still runs the nation today