Black Spirituality Religion : No Single Book

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Aug 5, 2005.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I've learned a lot over the last few months. I''ve been directed to explore many texts other than the bible and in them I find there is also some truth. Is the bible the only book that presents problems? What can be said about all books?

1. They were written by men
    2. They were translated into different languages
    3. There are different versions of them within the same language
    4. They are subject to interpretation by the reader
    5. A certain amount of faith is needed to accept their metaphysical claims
    6. None of these metaphysical claims actually manifest themselves to the physical senses

No one has presented any text to me where these things are not true. Even the message of astrology is so open to interpretation that one interpreter can say two people should stay away from each other while another interpreter says the same two people were made for each other.

Where does this leave me in my search? It leaves me to understand that while God's truths may willy nilly find their way into various texts no single texts can lay claim to be wholly and exclusively God's message to man.

I cannoot count all the stars in the sky but I can count the ones I see. I cannot know all truth but my Creator will lead me to the truths that are relavant to me as I seek to grow in understanding.

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    ahh! such a pleasure to read your balanced thoughtful words!! thanks!

Man tries, but I don't feel that man can/will quite grasp the "truth" quite yet - have patience; "God isn't finished with us yet."

"God's Truth" is out there ... in here ... out here? .. in there? .. well, I guess it would prolly be most truthful to say "God's Truth Is" and let it go at that.

Attempting to put it into words messes it up since there aren't enough of the right sorts of words yet. Added to that, it is gonna get interpreted by whomever is attempting to write it down based on the experiences of whomever is writing ... which very likely doesn't cover quite enough ground to be actually "authoritative".

Even put together, they won't/can't get to "the whole message". Although looking at all of them all together (with the "contradictions" balanced across the whole), one might maybe be able to get a wee bit larger glimpse than we have. And wholy larger than any one of them has!

most excellent sig, tee-shirt, bumper sticker, etc. material!!

3. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    In Here Out There Out Here In There - You Are Here

Until you go somewhere else.

If we could know it all it all wouldn't be all that much, would it. If we could put it all in a box it all would have to be small enough to fit into the box--a box as small as the world's most powerful computer--100 million billion tetrabytes pi to the trillionth power would still be very small a thing to call ALL.

Maybe if I just have a box big enough for me to understand what I am here to do if I understand that what's in my box isn't it all. why have a box? Anything finite is a box. Anything conceptualized in the brain is finite.

I am learning that an athiest is not someone who doesn't believe in God he just doesn't believe in the gods that man has made.