Black Christians : No Other Gods Before Me

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by cherryblossom, May 31, 2009.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Exodus 20: 3

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

"The first commandment is concerning the object of our worship, Jehovah, and him only, Thou shalt have no other gods before me - The Egyptians, and other neighbouring nations, had many gods, creatures of their own fancy. This law was pre - fixed because of that transgression; and Jehovah being the God of Israel, they must entirely cleave to him, and no other, either of their own invention, or borrowed from their neighbours.

The sin against this commandment, which we are most in danger of, is giving that glory to any creature which is due to God only. Pride makes a God of ourselves, covetousness makes a God of money, sensuality makes a God of the belly. Whatever is loved, feared, delighted in, or depended on, more than God, that we make a god of. This prohibition includes a precept which is the foundation of the whole law, that we take the Lord for our God, accept him for ours, adore him with humble reverence, and set our affections entirely upon him. There is a reason intimated in the last words before me. It intimates, That we cannot have any other god but he will know it. That it is a sin that dares him to his face, which he cannot, will not, overlook.

The second commandment is concerning the ordinances of worship, or the way in which God will be worshipped, which it is fit himself should appoint. Here is, [1.] The prohibition; we are forbidden to worship even the true God by images, Ex 20:4,5. First, The Jews (at least after the captivity) thought themselves forbidden by this to make any image or picture whatsoever. It is certain it forbids making any image of God, for to whom can we liken him? Isa 40:18,25. It also forbids us to make images of God in our fancies, as if he were a man as we are. Our religious worship must be governed by the power of faith, not by the power of imagination..."

http://bible.cc/exodus/20-3.htm

2. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    There are TWO things wrong with this.

1) In the verse it does not say there are no other Gods. "I Am" says there shall not be any BEFORE him. If there were a prohibition of ANY other Gods then the verse would read "THERE ARE NO OTHER GODS BUT ME"! As it stands, this verse along with hundreds of others in the bible prove that Moses and the other unknown authors of the first five books did a poor job of stealing and interpreting Ancient Kemet's worshiping of Ausar and Auset because they wanted to negate the supreme importance of a Goddess in creation and worship.

2) It is a MYTH that Egyptians (Ancient Kemet) put other Gods BEFORE Ausar and Auset. It was clear to us THEN AND NOW that everything stemmed from THEM! We had a MONOTHEISTIC faith with many manifestations of Ausar and Auset which included sons and daughters who governed other parts of life.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Brother A007 ... this particular forum ... Christian Study Group ... is for those Members who believe in Christianity, and want to discuss it with others that believe the same.

It's not for those of you that want to prove them wrong.

While none of this has been officially established yet, i'm thinking, it's going to be the only way to go ... or else ... those of you who think others are so wrong in their beliefs, will inundate them with your opposing views ... and in so doing ... deny them the opportunity to discuss in relative peace and tranquility, that which they believe.

We do have the main Spirituality Religion Forum, where everything can be challenged.

Please speak to the threads there, or even, start your own threads disproving Christianity, if you are so inclined ... but stay out of this one with the opposing views.

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

4. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    No problem.

Will do. I apologize if I offended Cherry or any of the other Christian Study Group members.

Peace and Love.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Brother A007 ... it's okay, no apology is necessary.

We're really just feeling our way, trying to make it work for all of us, the best we can.

Thanks for being willing to give these spaces ... Spirituality / Religion Study Groups ... this extra consideration, for the same applies to them all.

We may find, as time passes, that we have to do more or different, to make it work.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Isaiah 45:5

I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Isaiah 43:

[10] Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
    [11] I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

Isaiah 44:

[6] Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

8. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,324

Praise be to the Father on High!:)

It is a common thing now for people to place trust and faith in material representations of the Father and the Son rather than them putting their faith in the Ones who gave us faith to start. Whether it be crucifixes, statues, paintings, and so on, people would rather look to these than to the Father through the Son.

Men and women only need to realize that the representation of the Father has come already, in the flesh of the body, and has died for our sins, and was resurrected the 3rd day back to life and eternal glory. He came for our salvation and has granted us pardon from our wicked works that we may have righteous works before the Father, with faith in He. Faith doesn't need material things for us to see with carnal eyes, but needs to be spiritually strong in the Son and the Father with works that give it life. With that, not statues, are we justified by the Son to the Most High.