Black People : No More Writ of Habeas Corpus

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    No More Writ of Habeas Corpus

What if you're a Political Journalist, online or in print, and doing an article on fanatical Jihadists. Let's even use a new buzzphrase of late... Islamo-fascism is the focus of your piece, so you go to Google and Yahoo etc and do your research. Along the way, you visit a Mosque or three; interview a couple local Mullahs in the Bronx and Brooklyn, though it could be anywhere. Finally you sit down and hammer out your piece. Whatever.

One day, there's a knock at your door, assuming they knock at all, and it's Homeland Security. The first thing you'll hear is "You're under arrest for suspicion of terrorist activities... you have no right to an attorney, nor the right to remain silent, nor do you get a phone call." Dramatic? I don't know, that's what they say. Anyway, they haul you down to the Police Station... FBI Headquarters...CIA local office... ok they haul you off to who knows where, you don't have the right to know. Nor, does anyone who knows you. And the reason they did this

Now, mind you, I check very closely who I write that tax deductible check out to before April 15th comes around, but that second part... well, in a way, I'm speaking out against the Government right now and its policies. Which makes me eligible for that 'indefinitely' part.

What is my recourse? What can I do to explain to them I was just understanding the perspective of those who don't want war, at any price? I can try and they may or may not believe me. Should they not, my loss. My next option, if they don't believe that I'm only someone sympathetic to not wanting a crusade? I can pray for rain... because:

Furthermore...

Ok, now they have me legally - what can I expect?

My point? If you don't see this Act as a complete raping of my/our rights as Americans then anything I could say beyond what I already have, would be a waste of your time.

Forget the moral side of "matching the infidels" toe to toe. Or Gandhi's an eye for an eye theory... the fact is, with this Act, we have allowed our Government Carte-blanche to do as it pleases, with not only, as it would like us to think, THEM, but with US too.

For the First time, that contract the subsidiary of Halliburton, a firm known as Kellog, Brown and Root, received... makes sense.

Those aren't for immigrants, those centers are for you and me.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    One day, there's a knock at your door, assuming they knock at all, and it's Homeland Security. The first thing you'll hear is "You're under arrest for suspicion of terrorist activities... you have no right to an attorney, nor the right to remain silent, nor do you get a phone call."

Could You Be Considered a Terrorist?

:heart:

Destee

3. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    More

Senate Moves to OK Detention of U.S. Citizens
    The Bush administration has slipped in a major change to the Senate bill on interrogations that would allow U.S. citizens to be detained as enemy combatants. Initially the bill defined an enemy combatant as anyone who engaged in hostilities against the United States or its allies but the definition has been expanded to include anyone who has materially supported hostilities against the United States or its allies. The Washington Post reports that human rights experts expressed concern that the language in the new provision would be a precedent-setting congressional endorsement for the indefinite detention of U.S. citizens.
    Two Albany Muslims Convicted on Terror Charges
    In Albany, New York, two Muslim immigrants have been convicted on terrorism charges in a case that raised major questions over the conduct of government officials. The men, Yassin Aref and Mohammed Hossain, were convicted of aiding a government informant in a fake plot to assassinate a Pakistani diplomat. The men’s attorneys say their clients had no violent history and are the victims of government entrapment. Earlier this year, defense lawyers failed to have the case dismissed on the grounds it came out of the Bush administration’s warrantless spy program.
    Padilla Accuses Jailers of Torture, Drugging
    In Florida, the former enemy combatant Jose Padilla is accusing military jailers of torturing and drugging him. Padilla was arrested four years ago amid accusations he plotted to set off a dirty bomb. He was kept in jail without charge for more than three years and finally charged with several lesser offenses. In a motion filed, Padilla’s attorneys allege military officials threatened to kill him, cut him with a knife and pour alcohol on his wounds. They also allege Padilla was administered drugs against his will, including some form of both LSD and PCP.
    Blair Govt. Wins Ruling to Hold Trial in Secret
    In Britain, Prime Minister Tony Blair’s government has won a motion to hold a secret trial for two men accused of leaking a memo detailing a conversation in which President Bush reportedly says he wants to bomb the headquarters of the Arabic television network Al Jazeera in Doha. The memo was revealed a year ago next month. David Keogh, a former civil servant, and Leo O'Connor, a former parliamentary researcher, are charged with leaking the memo in violation of the Official Secrets Act. On Monday, a British judge sided with the government’s argument that publicly disclosing the memo’s contents would harm British national security because it would have a "detrimental impact" on "diplomatic and political relations" with the US. Mark Stephens, the chief lawyer for al-Jazeera, said: "The bottom line is that there is no national security involvement [in the case]. What is being protected from us is evidence of a war crime." The secret trial is expected to start in April.
    British Schools Urged to Spy on Muslim Students
    The Guardian newspaper reports that college professors and staff in Britain may soon be asked to spy on "Asian-looking" and Muslim students they suspect of involvement in Islamic extremism. The paper obtained an 18-page document that reveals Britain’s Department of Education has drawn up a series of proposals on how the spy program should work. Teachers are likely to be asked to report suspicious students to a special branch of the government. Wakkas Khan, the president of the Federation of Student Islamic Societies, said the program is potentially the widest infringement of the rights of Muslim students ever in the country.
    Bachelet Visits Former Chilean Secret Prison
    Chilean President Michelle Bachelet returned recently to the secret detention center where she was imprisoned and tortured more than 30 years ago under the Pinochet regime. Michele Bachelet: “We were lucky enough to survive. Many others were not so lucky. Because thousands of Chileans, among them my father and many loved ones, did not survive prison or the torture." Michelle Bachelet’s trip marked the first presidential visit to Villa Grimaldi, one of the country’s most infamous secret prisons. In September, Chile's Supreme Court cleared the way for Augusto Pinochet to face possible charges of murder, torture and rights abuses at Villa Grimaldi.

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Yes. I could be considered a terrorist. Why? Because of my past affiliations with anti-apartheid organizations and liberation movements, some of which came to power South Africa, Namibia, Angola and Zimbabwe. Because of my support for Islamic militants during the Iranian Revolution. Because of my membership in Pan Africanist and Black nationalist organizations based in the united states. Because of my long term friendship with individuals from these organizations; friendships which have lasted for close to 30 years.

Am I a threat to national security. No. Not under present conditions.

5. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    no more writ...

detention centers?,heck i haven't had detention since high school.