Smartgurl

$$ PREMIUM MEMBER $$
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 20, 2001
Mobile, AL
Occupation
Full-time Student
Hey family,

I would like to make an announcement regarding the John B. Ervin Scholarship for African-Americans at Washington University. I am a sophomore at Washington University, and yesterday, the administration announced that the Ervin scholarship is no longer only for African-Americans. Starting next year, this scholarship is open to everyone. This decision was made after WashU was pressured by right-wing legal organizations (such as the one who sued University of Michigan) and threatened with a law suit based on reverse-discrimination. There are other minority-only scholarships at WashU, specifically the Annika Rodriguez scholarship for Hispanic students, however WashU was only threatened and told to change the African-American undergraduate scholarship. Washington University is not the only school targeted; these organizations are threatening many of the best universities across the nation. The African-American student body at WashU is outraged. I just thought that I would let this forum know, being that this not only affects WashU students and prospective WashU students, but also the black community as a whole. If you would like to know more about this issue, here's a link to the article in our school newspaper: http://www.studlife.com/news/2004/0...on-649597.shtml

Much love and peace to all,

Smartgurl
(a disappointed and discouraged black student)

This is outrageous!! However, don't be discouraged Smartgurl. What you need to do is gather the black student body and protest. Start a letter writing campaign, not just to the student newspapers, but to the local newspapers as well. Try to enlist or at least inform black alumni of Washington University's intention to effectively end the Ervin scholarship (you can do this by researching previous Ervin scholarship recipients). Furthermore approach the administration of WU and remind them that affirmative action was upheld at Michigan University. There is no legal basis for this move, especially when a Latino-based scholarship is allowed to continue. This is blatant discrimination, and if anything it will leave WU open to another lawsuit. Good Luck, and keep us informed.

This is just another way to limit African Americans from attending colleges. Especially to those who have high expectations, but financial hardship. I myself is attending college this coming school year. There is no telling how difficult its gonna be just to stay in schools because of shortened funds.

Reading about this really makes me want to apologize to my young brothers & sisters who are beginning college. You should not be faced with the dismantling of minority scholarships, attacks on affirmative action, and overt racism. The Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s, 60s, & 70s was fought so that no one would have to face the cruelty & wickedness of a door slammed in their face because of racism.

I do encourage young ppl to consider going to a historically black college or university (HBCU). These schools were created in the late 1800s, early 1900s to provide African Americans with an opportunity to learn, because white schools would not admit them. Although these schools declined in popularity after the Civil Rights Movement, the current racist climate have make these types of school once again necessary.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back