Black People : No Child Left Behind, better known as No Child Gets Ahead.

very true very true

Self esteem is the cornerstone of success, if you dont have it you really cant have anything or do anything for that matter....

yes appreciating one's self is the first step, i think Ron was saying it should

be the ONLY thing, we need other tools out here

not disagreeing with you here

yes

I do think that we are born being aware of self. Infact I read that a baby is aware of its being and place in space around 4 to 5 months gestation! (isnt that amazing) However I think that self esteem something that has to be encouraged and built upon. It can grow or diminish depending on the type of encouragement or lack thereof we recieve as children.

i think RON, is saying he just wants his nephew to have a fighting chance

i understand what he's saying and i understand what you're saying

but the system is not going anywhere, not right this minute,

why not build self-esteem and educate,

i think ron meant sacrificing competence for self-esteem is not helpful

so you can feel good about yourself but if you can't read and write

well....................................

I really didn't get to finish because I was rushed...but I do understand and agree that our children should be able to read and write. But, if you all take a look at the post, you will see that Ron was talking about mediocrity not incompetence. I 100 percent agree with teaching our children to read and write...WELL. But, beyond that the formal educational system is not the end all be all to our success...even in this system.

I am in Memphis,Tn where children are graded on an unusually high grading scale that does nothing but separate the children and humiliate "average" children with D's and F's. I am not speaking of children who can't read and write but children who get 73 percent and get a D which will prevent them from passing to the next grade if there are enough of them. While in the white school system that I grew up in (jr. high and high school) 73 was a C and was good enough to pass every grade and even get into a state college. I know of two such average white students (good friends of mine) who did just that and now one owns a construction company and one owns a glass company. Now these same average students(black or white) in this school system would have been crushed until the weight of 73 percent D's that say they aren't going to amount to anything. I see it happen every day. When you kill an average child's confidence and take his self-esteem he will turn to the first them that makes him/her feel good about themselves. Here in Memphis that is Gang affiliations and dealing drugs. I am fortunate enough to have 2 above average sons and 2 average sons but all of them know that hard work will pay off even if it doesn't in the way of an acedemic scholarship. I make them study because they need to learn discipline not because I care what grades they make (as long as they pass). I get on to them for being lazy...not for having average grades. They all read and write well enough to learn any life lesson that they need. Now, it is my job to teach them how to be successful in this life...and formal education does not seem to be the answer.

Speaking as a teacher, I must say I understand where Ron was essentially coming from. Before I even begin to reply I must say that I believe that it takes a village to raise a child. But at some point we must hold the parents reponsible. My job is to educate your child and to prepare him/her for the real world not pamper him and give him a false sense of self. However this current No Child Left Behind policy is more about making you feel good then making you be good. But what happen to feeling good about achievement and being proud of a job well done. I agree that some students are only going to reach average but does that mean I should set the standards lower. Why not set the bar high and push the students to achieve.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back