Black People : No Child Left Behind, better known as No Child Gets Ahead.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Da Street So'ja, May 24, 2008.

1. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    Ron from Syracuse writes:

I hope the next President does away with No Child Left Behind, better known as No Child Gets Ahead. Teachers are enforcing mediocrity, not excellence, and are more concerned with children's self-esteem than their competence. I don't care if my nephew has low self-esteem; I want him to be able to read and comprehend, write a proper letter and understand calculus. If he can't do that, he shouldn't graduate.

i thought this was great

2. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    Well...

It seems Ron has bought into the system whole-heartedly. Either he didn't give a great deal of thought to his statement or he is not aware that he is advancing a system that tells our children that they are only as good as this oppressive system says they are based on subjective standards.

First of all realize that the formal education system is geared towards two things. Believe what we tell you to believe wheather it is logica/factual or not. And to teach our children to fight for a good J.O.B. (Just over broke). In both instances once our children have bought into it by believing that they can only be as good as this system says they are we are doomed. So we must take care to help our children's self-esteem or they will suffer greatly.

3. Da Street So'ja

Ratings:
    +42
    i think you make a great point too

i think RON, is saying he just wants his nephew to have a fighting chance

i understand what he's saying and i understand what you're saying

but the system is not going anywhere, not right this minute,

why not build self-esteem and educate,

i think ron meant sacrificing competence for self-esteem is not helpful

so you can feel good about yourself but if you can't read and write

well....................................

4. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343
    Brother A007:

While I do have a problem with Ron's statement about of low self-esteem his main point was right on target. Our children do need to be able to put a simple sentence together..to understand what they are reading..and to advance as much as possible in the field of mathematic. So to me he has not bought into the system. But quite the opposite....I have had the, I want to say pleasure of meeting some of these kids that he's is talking about. But after talking with them what was pleasure quickly turn to disbelief. Some can't even do simple math.....

How can we raise a nation of builders in our struggle if they are not prepared? How can we enlighten our children if they can't even read what we are writing for them to see years form now...not just today? How can we expect them to read a slide rule or take us to the next level of this struggle if they are not prepared? Low self-esteem is something that can be molded and shaped with ever hurdle that they overcome and this will give them confidence.... confidence and pride..pride in the things that they have achieved and confidence in knowing that if a problem should arise they can handle or solve it. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you or others may have something you'd like to say......

Lilpea

5. Each1teach1

Each1teach1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    build up the nation
    Ratings:
    +986
    Self esteem is the cornerstone of success, if you dont have it you really cant have anything or do anything for that matter....

6. Da Street So'ja

Ratings:
    +42
    very true very true

yes appreciating one's self is the first step, i think Ron was saying it should

be the ONLY thing, we need other tools out here

not disagreeing with you here

7. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343
    True that Sister Each1...but is this something that we are born with..or does it grow as we grow?

8. Each1teach1

Each1teach1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    build up the nation
    Ratings:
    +986
    yes

I do think that we are born being aware of self. Infact I read that a baby is aware of its being and place in space around 4 to 5 months gestation! (isnt that amazing) However I think that self esteem something that has to be encouraged and built upon. It can grow or diminish depending on the type of encouragement or lack thereof we recieve as children.

9. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115

I really didn't get to finish because I was rushed...but I do understand and agree that our children should be able to read and write. But, if you all take a look at the post, you will see that Ron was talking about mediocrity not incompetence. I 100 percent agree with teaching our children to read and write...WELL. But, beyond that the formal educational system is not the end all be all to our success...even in this system.

I am in Memphis,Tn where children are graded on an unusually high grading scale that does nothing but separate the children and humiliate "average" children with D's and F's. I am not speaking of children who can't read and write but children who get 73 percent and get a D which will prevent them from passing to the next grade if there are enough of them. While in the white school system that I grew up in (jr. high and high school) 73 was a C and was good enough to pass every grade and even get into a state college. I know of two such average white students (good friends of mine) who did just that and now one owns a construction company and one owns a glass company. Now these same average students(black or white) in this school system would have been crushed until the weight of 73 percent D's that say they aren't going to amount to anything. I see it happen every day. When you kill an average child's confidence and take his self-esteem he will turn to the first them that makes him/her feel good about themselves. Here in Memphis that is Gang affiliations and dealing drugs. I am fortunate enough to have 2 above average sons and 2 average sons but all of them know that hard work will pay off even if it doesn't in the way of an acedemic scholarship. I make them study because they need to learn discipline not because I care what grades they make (as long as they pass). I get on to them for being lazy...not for having average grades. They all read and write well enough to learn any life lesson that they need. Now, it is my job to teach them how to be successful in this life...and formal education does not seem to be the answer.

10. asimplepoet

asimplepoet Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +229
    Speaking as a teacher, I must say I understand where Ron was essentially coming from. Before I even begin to reply I must say that I believe that it takes a village to raise a child. But at some point we must hold the parents reponsible. My job is to educate your child and to prepare him/her for the real world not pamper him and give him a false sense of self. However this current No Child Left Behind policy is more about making you feel good then making you be good. But what happen to feeling good about achievement and being proud of a job well done. I agree that some students are only going to reach average but does that mean I should set the standards lower. Why not set the bar high and push the students to achieve.