Black People : No Black Reporters Covering Hurricane Katrina?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Family,

As i watch the news ... so many Black people being killed in New Orleans, and i have not seen ONE Black reporter on CNN, FOX, MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CBS ... or any of those national news programs.

Do they not have any Black reporters to give air time to, in order to cover this story?

So many Black folk being reported on, by so many White people. Anyone else notice this?

But we're the story ...

My People My People.

:heart:

Destee

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Black journalist probably fear being confused with a looter and subsequently shot by the military troops being brought into the area to "restore order".

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    That's krazee Brother Pan.

They use this against us all the time, when convenient for them.

Where is our fear in Iraq with so many young Black men and women fighting?

Where is our fear within our own neigborhoods, many facing bullets and death daily?

Where is our fear when leading the most violent and injurious sports in this country?

Where is the fear that keeps us from overwhelming prisons that violate and rape us daily?

Where is the fear when selling the drugs they supply to our neighborhood, the most stressful of jobs in the world?

I've heard of what you say, Black police officers being mistaken for the criminal and shot by "friendly fire."

They can tell us any dadgum sonofabuck'n thing ... and we fall for it.

Yeah ... we can't let yall do this, because a few of yall might get shot by us ... accidently.

Therefore, you never get to make this money, get this prestige, be in a position to let your people know the truth.

There are Black journalists just like you Brother Pan, willing to go on the front line of their chosen career path, and do their job! Our people are not afraid. It is them who is afraid, and has deflected that fear onto us ... but it is not ours, so let's not embrace it.

Again i ask ... where are the Black journalists covering these Black people?

Why aren't we represented in THAT number ... yet overwhelmingly representing the dying??!!

C'mon now ... help me please.

:heart:

Destee

4. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    for the same reason you saw none during 9/11.

Black Journalists in white media are tokens to keep front looking good. When times of national crisis where the countries attention is on the news they put the black people away, to keep them from talking some reality.

5. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Good eyes, Destee!

The bosses at the media centers pull the Black reporters because they are considered 'high risk' due to their 'emotional closeness' to the story. White reporters are able to be more 'objective', meaning they will report the expected political line.
    As a matter of fact, yesterday the bush caravan created the illusion that massive steps had been made, but one day later, much remains the same at the convention center. Yes, some food and water was brought, a few buses came and took some out but if you check it, the buses stopped after the first wave and the Friday evening news time passed. Thats why I'm urging people to read the 1927 Flood post, so we can get a better understanding that we have to monitor this over weeks and months. The illusion is being built that the calvary has arrived and everyone is now safe. Not true!
    Your eyes do not deceive you.

6. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    When the victims of Katrina are in a more stable situation, (if they can ever be as such), they need to tell their stories at the very least online. The black community needs to see what is truly going on down there.

Someone had said that it would take a catrosphe to get black people thinking... what is the point of a catrasophe if it doesn't involve all 36 million of us? Really, only the people in the Katrina areas, or family members and friends who know them that might live outside of those regions TRULY know what is going on as far as the racism, the numbers dead, etc. Black people everywhere else are seeing nothing but what the white media tells them... all of these people 'looting' and raping. And of course, you also have the 'white hero' stories. I've already seen comments on some message boards saying blacks can't complaint about racism because of all the white people helping them out in this situation. :eeek:

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I was being sarcastic Destee. I agree with you, the absence of black journalist raises eyebrows. However the lack of acting from the government to help the overwhelming black population of New Orleans in addition to how the media is portraying this tragedy has raised my eye brows so high, that they are in my lower back!

8. NITAINO75

NITAINO75 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    that's a good question, because there's most defitnetly a lack (or rather an almost non existent presence) of black reporters in this huge story (IMO one of the biggest ever)

however i believe there was a single lightskin brotha (at least on camera) from cnn in the midst of it all (he was on the roof with the NO police)

9. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    them reporters are thinking about their jobs! They know themselves that they can't go there. They will done messed around and said something only to find that they ain't got no job when they get back! Lets keep this real !

10. Earftones

Earftones Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Why are we surprised when this happens? Why are we surprised when the white media distorts the picture of blacks. We know the same people that enslave us will not make us free. So how do we get our own television media that does not destort nor insult black folk. And, if one came along would we support it?