Black People : "No African-American Culture" -JEJ

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by happy69, Mar 25, 2004.

1. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
  2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    To put it mildly, I'm very disappointed in James Earl Jones because of his comment that African Americans shouldn't waste their time searching for their African roots and then to follow it up by saying that African Americans don't have a culture! If we don't connect to our African heritage and we don't have a culture in America, then who are we? Does Mr. Jones realize what he just did to the minds and hearts of those that listened to his speech? Shocking!

He seriously needs to be challenged on his views. Yes, he has the right to think as he does, but he should feel compelled to defend and support his beliefs if he's going to make them known in the public arena. And not only that, but to go so far as to SUGGEST that we are NOTHING--a people WITHOUT a culture is despicable and reckless.

Quick to point out his mixed heritage--Irish, Cherokee and African, Mr. Jones goes on to claim that he knows more about his Irish lineage than his African, even after having made several trips to West Africa. What is he thinking here? It makes me scratch my head with wonder.

Oh well, he's fodder for a very interesting debate.

Queenie :spinstar:

3. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    I don't know what he really meant. At the time I thought about it... and really couldn't discern his meaning.

I have heard many say, that there is not an African-American culture; because what is called African-American culture is American culture. I agree with the premise that Our culture is American culture. American Culture is based upon what We do and don't do. Now, just for a minute think about what We could do and create if We embrace it.

And that statement about knowing more about his Irish"ness" that is a wannabe's dream.

Until I understand exactly what he meant...because his premise is easily dismissed and illogical...as far as I am concerned there is no James Earl Jones; I want people like him and his views eradicated from Our consciousnesses.... I would have pulled his *** off of the stage! We should never support any of his movies or projects... it was disgraceful.

Just another common kneegrow.

4. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    I AM SOMEBODY

Never thought I'd ever end up quoting Jesse, but there it is!

A culture is customs, traditions and a way of life that is comprised of a set of common more's, values, and beliefs among a group in society. We're not talking about heritage--we're talking culture. Our heritage is African, our culture is as Africans who have lived in America. Even though we have the right to call ourselves American, we are not the same as all other Americans or is there someone who thinks that we are?

In my opinion, African Americans DO have a culture, albeit that it came about due to our brutal experiences here in America. Regardless of how our history here began, we were still able to develop a system of thinking and common behavior patterns that grew into who we have become. And I won't accept it as being called a sub-culture either. Bump that "sub" way of thinking which sends the message that we are less than or something else is greater than we are and bump James Earl Jones for even suggesting we don't have either. No, in my very outspoken opinion, African Americans own a bona-fide and legitimate CULTURE which is why we need to wake up and stop all this mad behavior after having been exposed to the culture of our oppressors.

One's culture is adopted from one's experience so to deny that AA's have a culture is to deny our very existence and all forms of influences we have had on American society as a whole and the world at large. We are not homeless or invisible. As much as some of us don't want to accept it, we have the right (maybe not the privilege) to call ourselves Americans if we want to, African Americans if we prefer, thereby denoting and distinguishing us from all other Americans and Africans.

Why do Latinos have a culture or Asians, or Native Americans? Do we ever question that? What do you think makes up a 'culture'? Just like in a petrie dish in any laboratory, a culture is a mixture of ingredients that comprise a single substance. WE DEFINE who we are and not some misguided, living in denial, make any excuse for wanting to be something that you're not--actor.

Peace,

5. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    Say Sister Queen.
    You speak the truth-- this is it; this is it.
    It is so sad... again, he is gone; even someone like George Bush; who we know cannot stand Us-- says that African-American culture is American Culture; and that without it, there would be no America. He was not the first to say that. But it is TRUTH.

Amen, Sister. You just hit that one outta the park, too.

6. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey happy

This was a shocker. Mufasa done lost his mind....smh

7. carlhurd

carlhurd Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +10
    This is so sad. This is the one thing that really is a problem for us, between the haves and the have nots. This is why for those who really believe in the betterment of our people need to support and uplift each other as much as we can and countinue to fight until we can get it right. Good find , thanks for sharing.

Please take the survey at www.blackfeedback.com

8. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    When you think of people's cultural roots, don't you think of traditions and ways of life that stem from your cultural heritage? When you think about Latinos and Asians, Irish, Germans, Native Americans and people from the Middle East in terms of culture, don't certain things like the foods they eat, the way they dress , their family structure, their language and even religious practices come to mind?

African Americans may be uniquely different from many of these other groups in that our cultural roots were brutally severed as we were cut off from our African homeland, but we have managed to retain some of our African cultural traditions as well as invent news ones since coming to America. For Bush to say that African American culture is American culture is more like American culture stems from African culture. We learned the language of the Europeans and reinvented it. We took their clothing and reinvented it. We took their religion and reinvented it. We took their musical instruments and created our own music. We took their foods, applied our traditional culinary skills to it and reinvented it. Where does Jones think that our dance style comes from? Is he that big of a fool?

Don't believe the hype or the rhetoric. The truth of the matter is, it's because of our CULTURAL strengths that we have been the target of other's hatred. So don't tell me that African Americans don't have a culture but more specifically, don't expect me to believe it if you do tell me that. What I'm convinced of is that James Earl Jones has been looking for his African culture in all the wrong places.

9. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    Sister Queen;
    All you are saying is the TRUTH.

I just wonder how We can more fully tap into Our Cultural Strengths today, and take the lies that They tell and the crimes that They commit against Us and Use it?

10. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Good and accurate information is the key.

Find ways to reduce our pessimism and increase our optimism about ourselves and our future here in America and around the world.

Stop living in denial and face the enemy that brings fear into our hearts, infects our minds and causes us to not want to do anything to help ourselves.

Find a positive role model that is doing something and try to emulate that person.

Don't be afraid to ask questions for fear of appearing stupid. "Seek and ye shall find."

Learn how to become a critical thinker and don't accept everyone's opinion as your truth. Know who it is that you give permission to impact your life and protect it at all costs.

Take each day at a time and make a commitment to yourself and others to do something each day to be more community minded.

Know what it is to be a hypocrit and don't aspire to be one. Do everything you can to practice what you believe.

Start the dialogue. Talk to a family member, a friend, a neighbor, a teacher, your pastor . . . about issues that concern you about your community and what you think is happening. Ask them what they are doing to help improve the situation and be ready to answer the same question.

Explore the things that are important to you and be honest with yourself about what they are. What do you find most attractive--is it money, is it good looks, is it material things, is it being admired and looked up to? Don't be afraid to admit to yourself who you really are and then don't live a lie.

Always be willing to learn something new and don't cower when challenged. Realize early that not everyone will agree with your opinion, but be committed to your beliefs when you think you're right.

Learn quickly what is meant by "When you lie with dogs, you're bound to come up with fleas." Don't constantly surround yourself with people who can be harmful to you because they will eventually drain you. Don't alienate yourself from those who are demonstrating that they have your best interest at heart. From them you will gain your strength.