Black People : Nikki Parker - living large and loving it?

Is Nikki Parker's assertive sexuality represented as positive?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Not at all!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The representation is ambiguous.

• She\\\'s too fat to be sexy.

• Total voters

Flybaby

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 22, 2003
Peace and Blessings,

I'm new to this forum and glad to have found it. I've been reading the posts but this is my first contribution.

I'm a graduate student at a large midwest university where it is difficult to engage my colleagues in discussions on topics that interest me related to race, sexuality and body image. I've been a fan of the show "The Parkers" and I'm interested in the way the relationship between the professor and Nikki Parker plays out. On the surface, it seems to send a positive, empowering message to large Black women. But the subtext seems to send the message that Nikki is freakish and abnormal after all is said and done. The professor is downright abusive at times. Is it just me or are these mixed messages? What do you think? I know it's a sitcome and it's supposed to be funny, but I'm detecting some traces of racism. Why is Nikki denied a fully realized sexual relationship? All outward appearances point to a strong sexuality, but it seems constantly undermined? And why are people so uncomfortable talking about large Black women's sexuality?

I think in the African-American community, large women are more acceptable. Most Black men like "thick women".

I do think that each person should care about their bodies through exercise and diet. Not everyone can be a size 2, but a person should be the size that is healthy for them.

Some of the comedies don't appeal to me because some of the shows stereotype. Our community is diverse and I don't think the media accurately portrays all aspects of our people.

Peace and Blessings,

I'm new to this forum and glad to have found it. I've been reading the posts but this is my first contribution.

I'm a graduate student at a large midwest university where it is difficult to engage my colleagues in discussions on topics that interest me related to race, sexuality and body image. I've been a fan of the show "The Parkers" and I'm interested in the way the relationship between the professor and Nikki Parker plays out. On the surface, it seems to send a positive, empowering message to large Black women. But the subtext seems to send the message that Nikki is freakish and abnormal after all is said and done. The professor is downright abusive at times. Is it just me or are these mixed messages? What do you think? I know it's a sitcome and it's supposed to be funny, but I'm detecting some traces of racism. Why is Nikki denied a fully realized sexual relationship? All outward appearances point to a strong sexuality, but it seems constantly undermined? And why are people so uncomfortable talking about large Black women's sexuality?

And the flip side is that the shows with all the big men have smaller woman - Simpsons, King of Queens, Honeymooners, and others, including a now-defunt show that starred Holly Robinson Peete.

The message is that a big women will have a hard time getting a man and she must appear freaky and desperate to get him, that's why the Professor can treat her any way he wishes and she will still try to vie for his attentions regardless. When he is entertaining other women, they are all small size or smaller than Nikki (monique). But a plus size man apparently doesn't have to worry about that as he will get a woman regardless.

It's not so much racism as it is blatant and obvious sexism.

Never liked the Parkers for this reason. Made big women look bad.

What

color are the producers of the show..there is your answer.

Peace and Blessings,

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back