Black Sports : Nike Ad Rejected - Black Man Too Combative

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Destee, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Nike Ad Recected - Black Man (Lebron James) Too Combative

[​IMG]

Commission member Norman Krumholz called James' image on the mural "terribly negative."

James' grim visage and hardened stance play to a stereotype of young, urban black men as menacing and aggressive, a city design-review official said Thursday.

Stanley Miller, executive director of the Cleveland NAACP, said in an interview Friday that the James mural bothered him.

"The media depict [African-Americans] in a more aggressive, forceful, athletic -- combative, if you will -- position," Miller said. "The biggest challenge I have with boys is to build their understanding that there's more to achieve than being a football player, basketball player or rap star."

Commission chairman Coyne objected to the "Prepare for Combat" tagline as insensitive to veterans and to soldiers fighting overseas.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I agree the image of james send a message that's not in a positive way
    and where nike is on a sale ad pitch for there newest product.............

The message James is sending to the youth is to be aggressive in battle
    which makes black urban americans a lable of destruction.

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Truth!

Sister Destee, how are you? Hope all is well!,

This is not surprizing at all really, but thanks for bringing it to the forum. The Maafa 21 Century Thread, first displayed by King Tubbs and then by Chinelo speaks directly to this issue of the 21 Century. I hereby encourage all viewers of this thread and post to invest 2 hrs watching the documentary, its well worth it...Peace In my sister friend.

And Oh...I'm ready to Battle:), in fact, Destee.com is ready to Battle!

4. WARRIOR

WARRIOR BAMN - By Any Means Necessary PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +298
    THE FACT THAT THIS PICTURE IS VIEWED AS NEGATIVE , JUST ADDS MORE FUEL TO THE FIRE OF DIFFERENCES IN PERCEPTION....

AND IN THIS CASE......FEAR SEEMS TO BE THE MAIN PERCEPTION....

BLACK MEN HAVE BEEN VIEWED THIS WAY BY NUMEROUS OF TYPES OF PEOPLE OVER THE CENTURIES.......ANCIENT EGYPT & AFRICAN HISTORY ALONE PROVE IT...

THE PEOPLE THAT CONTROL THE MEDIA....TELEVISION....MOVIES.....ADVERTISING....ETC......THEY CANNOT AND WILL NOT SEE THE POWER IN BLACK MEN FOR WHAT IS...UNLESS.....IT BENEFITS THEM......AND EVEN THEN , IT IS ALTERED TO FIT THEIR NEEDS...

I LIKE THE PICTURE OF LEBRON JAMES.....I THINK IT SPEAKS VOLUMES......AND I BELIEVE THE FEAR THAT WHITE MEN HAVE FOR BLACK MEN.....WILL NOT GO ANYWHERE........

BECAUSE THE WHITE MAN KNOWS JUST AS WELL AS WE DO , THAT IT ONLY TAKES A SPARK.......TO PUT US IN MOTION.....

OHHH......AND WHEN WE ALL GET ON THE SAME PAGE......OF THE SAME BOOK.......WATCH OUT

WARRIOR

5. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    kind of disturbing , even black folks have been lead to think that raw black manhood is some how menacing. I mean Brett Farve would get the same reaction? Doubt it,shake them haters off King James. James is a warrior,if you have ever watched him play,you would see thatthe mural is in accordance to his style of play.

My only problem with the situation,is that the mural has that fake,commercial rapper,take my shirt off ,soft thug look...

This all boils down to fear of not a black planet,but a black man on the planet with tattoos!

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nike ads for men

2. nike men ads