Black Christians : Night Watch Services...True or False?

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074
    African American History
    Why do African Americans celebrate “Night Watch Service?”
    Knowledge is power, sometimes we get distracted on tradition without knowing the true meaning.

The above is not quite true...

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/newyears/watchnight.asp

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

Night Watch Services...True or False?

Is Snopes.com correct? Maybe so!

But even before 1862 and the possibility of a Presidential Emancipation, African people had gathered on New Year's Eve on plantations across the South. That is because many owners of enslaved Africans tallied up their business accounts on the first day of each new year.

Human property was sold along with land, furnishings and livestock to satisfy debts. Families and friends were separated. Often they never saw each other again in this earthly world. Thus coming together on December 31 might be the last time for enslaved and free Africans to be together with loved ones.

Black folks in North America have gathered annually on New Year's Eve since the earliest days, praising God for bringing us safely through another year and praying for the future. Certainly, those traditional gatherings were made even more poignant by the events of 1863 which brought freedom to the slaves and the Year of Jubilee.

Many generations have passed since and most of us were never taught the significance of gathering on New Year's Eve. Yet our traditions and faith still bring us together at the end of every years to celebrate once again, "how we got over."

By Charyn D. Sutton, The Onyx Group

http://www.wsbrec.org/blackfacts/index.html

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Just further testament of how much we just don't know, how much we've lost of our past generations.

As to this particular tradition, no matter its historical origin, its observance is still one of reflection, introspection and hopeful change and growth.

No matter its origin, IMO, it's still a good thing.

4. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    Don't you mean "Watch Night" services?

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

Yes

6. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    I think it is going to be hard to prove the true origin of Watch Night services. Its too far removed from the present and there isn't anyone alive to corroborate the story. And you know white people didn't bother to write this down for us. Sort of like Juneteenth.

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

Juneteenth...June 19th, is a fine example.

8. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Freedom's Eve. amazing...

FREEDOM'S EVE. Amazing and interesting!

Wow! I never realized it went back to this 'supposed' tradition of 'Slavery times' and/or 'emancipation times'.

I am also amazed at 'Snopes' rendition of the tradition too.

And just as Sister Cherryblossom put, I still think it is a great event no matter what the origin of it. I now though, because of this article, HAVE MUCH MORE APPRECIATION FOR IT. :)

In the past, I just did not have any interest in it and always preferred to stay at home when my older family relatives would go to church and attend. But now, this article has made me LINK SOME HISTORY that i strongly believe goes back much farther than even 'Snopes' has done.

In my opinion, THIS VERY WATCH NIGHT SERVICES CORRELATES DIRECTLY TO THE BIBLE ACCOUNT OF THE EXODUS!!!

My first thoughts too, when i read the first account was that my older relatives told me that AMERICA DID NOT OBSERVE CHRISTMAS ON DECEMBER 31st. They said christmas was observed in January 6 and this was done way after EMANCIPATION TIMES. So I agree with Snopes that even though Abraham Lincoln had the letter read prior to January 1862, many slaves were not actually freed until later anyway. Therefore, there seems to be a flaw in the FREEDOM'S EVE tradition being on that New Years Eve night.

When I read Snopes rendition of MORAVIAN ORIGINS, I immediately saw a flaw in this story too. Credit was given to 'present day Czech Republic' and John Wesley. And this too is a great MIS-EDUCATION.

I agree that those people probably did practice their Methodist WATCH NIGHT services [their Covenant Renewal Services] once a month and every full moon but, what is left out is that this is ORDAINED FROM THE BIBLE!

It is redundant, in regards to the Hebrew Israelites, in that they worshiped the Almighty God every new moon [month] with sacrifices. This began at the time of the EXODUS when they had to be COMPLETELY DRESSED and they had to eat their PASS OVER meal by MIDNIGHT! so after the Death Angel passed, the pharaoh came riding his chariot into Goshen and told Moses and Aaron to get out of Egypt. the Bible states that more than [at least] a half million people left...they were already dressed, packed and ready to go...WATCH NIGHT...

In addition; the Moravians were none other than BLACK...just like their very name should reveal MOORS [MOR-AVIAN; AVIAN OR FLIGHT]. They were Black people of EAST EUROPE and many of them were already there before the CZECH REPUBLIC people came.

People like John Wesley and JOHN HUSS came and did a lot of great things during a terrible time in Europe Middle Ages. They are the foundation of the Protestant Movements along with Martin Luther and etc. But, their history though, is stratigically used to cover up the Black History in Europe.

This article reveals to me too, that the very WATCH NIGHT services started here in USA and practiced by African Americans stems from the Bible days and the very Biblical account of the EXODUS.

Thank you for this great article Bro. Clyde!

9. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    wow

It's been 145 years since that first Freedom's Eve and many of us were never taught the African American history of the Watch Night Service, but tradition still brings us together at this time every year to celebrate "how we got over."

wow

funny choice of words, how we got over

as Hiphop

we strive to be
    the best we can be
    not to just get over

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

I agree Chevron and you are welcome, very much; Night Watch or Watch Night is very symbolic of the Passover, for sure.