Amun-Ra : ******, Niggerz, ******

Call me by my name

We have to be so careful when we speak to/about ourselves. I believe that our images of ourselves have everything to do with what we're called and what we call ourselves. I speak to parents constantly about giving positive self-images when they speak to their children. Too often we hear the ugliness in a parent's rant against their own children, calling them the most horrid things. Constantly telling children that they're little bastards, and *******...and cussing and swearing at them, is very damaging to their self-esteem.

And the transformation and belief in those negative messages is extremely subtle. Our children generally won't disappoint us. They will then behave like little bastards and *******. I know. As a school teacher, I learned much from my students who were amazed because I wouldn't call them out of their names. Their other teachers did it; their parents did it....their friends did it. And why would I be any different?

It was because I recognize that I have a name my own parents gave me, and that's what they always called me. There was "family pride" and self respect instilled. And in order to receive respect FROM my students, I would address them in a respectful manner at all times. Even called them "Mr." and "Miss". Something some of them had NEVER heard.

"Nigge*" has the same debilitating affect on our self-esteem. Laughing and joking about it, like it means "nothing" to be chilling with the homies talking that talk, is so much blissful ignorance. The walls of self respect are slowly but surely coming down whenever our people engage in that negative self talk. And don't let someone from the other group(s) hear us! Somehow, "they" begin to think it's "ok" to say that word, too. And we all know that ain't the case.

So I like to head that kind of nonsense off at the pass. I am what my name is upon meeting and greeting the red, the brown, the yellow, the black and the white....and I, in turn, give them all due respect when they introduce themselves to me.

thank you for the opportunity

a

most def Alyce

it's most def da truth coz so often too many tymes
i've watch our own call self not of blackman but *****
and our children lap all dis in at a point of less-esteem
now u made some very sweet points here , and now
we take it like it's our name ......Ra is right I am not a
***** nor all the other stuff one call out so proud i am
me a man wit a Name do address me in such form or let
it be ........i agree wit ya ....we must and will save our
children minds so they can blossom..

If you Want to go deep . . .

Try reading Randall Kennedy’s book, "******- The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word. Kennedy takes on all comers. He takes on the apologists, the sentimentalists and even himself in discussing the strange career of "******". I'll let you draw you own conclusions, but one thing Kennedy has succeded in doing is being thought provoking about a word that just will not go away nor will it be legitimized.

Ra

;)

Check This Out Yall ...

The article below was shared on an email discussion list that I subscribe to. I immediately thought of your article Amun-Ra. I wrote the author, Davey D of www.daveyd.com, and asked permission to share it here.

He said yes (though I didn't include the transcript he shared w/me).
yes you can post it up on your board also here is the actual transcript from the NBC3 newscast in San Jose.. It aired 2cd weeknd in March..

Thank god I work at a radio station.. We finally got the story confirmed. I saw it when it first aired and wrote about it.. But apprently no newspapers picked it up.. It was carried on NBC3 in San Jose but for some strange reason they did not have it on its website.. Interestingly enough KPIX which I believe also had it.. did not have transcrips for their weeknd newscasts..

Here is the actual transcript as it was read on air....you can email NBC3 and get further information.. I hope this clarifies any doubt..

Davey D
****** SUCK! or ******* SUCK!
Is There a Difference?

by Davey D

A major WACK Award goes out to those who insist and continue to use the N word. Whether you spell it ****** or *****, you still get the WACK Award. This past weekend the ridiculous logic of using this word came back to haunt us. A San Jose judge allowed a white guy who committed a hate crime against his Black female teacher off the hook.

His defense, the white guy did not commit a hate crime when he vandalized school property because he spelled the N word N-I-G-G-A and not N-I-G-G-E-R. The white guy used the friendly version of the word. Editors note: the above headlines is not what was sprayed painted on the walls. Dude wrote 'Thanks *****' and had an arrow pointed to the teacher's name.

For those who are still shaking their heads in disbelief, here's what went down. A white student at a San Jose high school got upset with his African American teacher for suspending his white friend. In retaliation he spray paints a school wall with the teacher's name and the N word which was spelled N-I-G-G-A. The police were upset. The teacher was upset and the community was appalled. Dude goes on trial for this hate crime and his defense attorney brings in some witness to testify to the judge that there's a difference between the two spellings of the N word. The judge listens and lets the white dude off and says no hate crime was committed and thus a dangerous precedent is set.

San Jose's Black Police officers association were extremely upset over the ruling. After all, they know all to well what this will lead to. Next time some cop pulls you over and hurls the N word he can get off by saying he said N-I-G-G-A and not N-I-G-G-E-R. Should you be careful before you file a racial harassment suit against a coworker or an insensitive boss? After all, he or she may actually be using the ***** spelling of the word. I couldn't help recalling the speech that Minister Farrakhan gave at the most recent Hip Hop Summit in LA. He emphatically warned us..'if we keep putting something out there we will one day have to answer for it'. This recent court interpretation of this hate crime and the use of the N word was proof. Think about it.

www.daveyd.com

The Confusion

Destee:

This piece brings the problem to light. We cannot haveit both ways. It either is a term that can be used freely, and that means by everyone, or it isn't. Yes, by acknowledging it as a term of affection or even attention, we can take power out of the word. However, as long as it has the power to incite, then it is a word that necessarily neds to be examined further and find some common ground for its usage or lack thereof.

Ra

:)

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back