Black People : NIGGE* it ain't how you say it! (look at what we've done)

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by UPTOWNE, Apr 1, 2002.

1. UPTOWNE

UPTOWNE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Electric Powerlineman
    Ratings:
    +11
    WHITE STUDENT LET OFF FOR USING 'N' WORD AGAINST BLACK TEACHER

Judge says '*****' not the same as '******'

by Davey D <[email protected]>

(Mar. 18, 2002) *A major WACK Award goes out to those who insist and continue to use the N word. Whether you spell it ****** or *****, you still get the WACK Award. Weekend before last, the ridiculous logic of using this word came back to haunt us.
    A San Jose, California judge allowed a white student who committed a hate crime against his black female teacher off the hook. His defense reasoned successfully that the white guy did not commit a hate crime when he vandalized school property because he spelled the N word N-I-G-G-A and not N-I-G-G-E-R. Yep, the white guy used the "friendly" version of the word and got away with it. Dude wrote 'Thanks *****' and had an arrow pointed to the teacher's name. For those who are still shaking their heads in disbelief, here's what went down. A white student at a San Jose high school got upset with his African American teacher for suspending his white friend. In retaliation he spray paints a school wall with the teacher's name and the N word which was spelled N-I-G-G-A. The police were upset. The teacher was upset and the community was appalled. Dude goes on trial for this hate crime and his defense attorney brings in some witness to testify to the judge that there's a difference between the two spellings of the N word. The judge listens and lets the white dude off and says no hate crime was committed and thus a dangerous precedent is set. San Jose's Black Police officers association were extremely upset over the ruling. After all, they know all to well what this will lead to. Next time some cop pulls you over and hurls the N word he can get off by saying he said N-I-G-G-A and not N-I-G-G-E-R. Should you be careful before you file a racial harassment suit against a coworker or an insensitive boss? After all, he or she may actually be using the '*****' spelling of the word. I couldn't help recalling the speech that Minister Farrakhan gave at the most recent Hip Hop Summit in LA. He emphatically warned us, "If we keep putting something out there we will one day have to answer for it." This recent court interpretation of this hate crime and the use of the N word was proof. Think about it. UPDATE: BEANIE SIGEL COMES UNDER FIRE White Rapper Disses Him By Using The 'N' Word! -- davey D and Phillyhiphop.com Looks like there's some more hip hop drama brewing. A white rapper named Shortyo in Philadelphia has decided to come after Beanie Sigel with a song called 'How Lovely.' Shortyo says that he came after Beanie because he was in New York on Hot 97 talking about he's the best rapper in Philly ... OK so the kid wants some publicity and this is a good way to do it but homeboy takes it to an all time low by referring to Beanie as a '*****' in the song. According to messages posted on the Phillyhiphop.com website Shortyo says he has no intention whatsoever to stop using the n word... I spoke to Shortyo [on Friday March 15] and he explained that his use of the word ***** is different from the term ****** which he takes offense to. Initially I had spelled the word n-i-g-g-e-r when writing this story and only agreed to change it after conversing with Shortyo and getting his side of the story. So for the record, Shortyo says his use of the word has a different meaning then the n-i-g-g-e-r spelling. Me, personally I don't agree with him. The use of the word with either spelling is disparaging. Not to mention when used in the song, Shortyo was not being endearing to Beanie. He was blasting him. According to some, the use of the term ***** is supposed to be a term of endearment. or a friendly greeting. That's not the way he flipped that word in the song. However, for the record, Shortyo feels the use of the word, with it being spelled n-i-g-g-a, is a slang term and hence it was from that perspective he used it. He emphatically insisted that he is not a racist and he did not want to send out the wrong message. Someone needs to remind Shortyo and trust me I did ... that racist people who speak with accents in certain parts of this country and the world will actually pronounce -- and in some cases -- even spell the 'N' word in the slang style he advocates. One has no way of knowing. As an African American who actively and aggressively fights racism the word is offensive. I also reminded Shortyo I take issue with the use of the word even when black artists use it. I have, along with many others, a long history of speaking out against the use of this word. I have a problem when Jay-Z uses it, when P-Diddy uses and definitely when Shortyo uses it. As an emcee there are dozens of words and phrases that homeboy could've used to lyrically shred Beanie Sigel. He should've done that and been more clever as opposed to raising a red flag. The racial stuff is about to get ugly folks; the constant use of this word has gotten a whole lot of folks mad as hell.

now ain't that some shi..............

this is UPTOWNE baby!

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    UPPIE ... adding property (articles, poems, etc.) to this forum, that does not belong to you ... before asking for/receiving permission from the owner and including that permission in your post ... is against the rules.

It just so happens that I have already asked for and received permission from DaveyD to add his article to the forum. I posted it and his permission in this thread.

This time your violation can stay (because we already have permission), but please be aware that adding property that belongs to others (without first obtaining and including their permission) is against our forum rules and it will be deleted.

Thanks,

Destee

3. UPTOWNE

UPTOWNE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Electric Powerlineman
    Ratings:
    +11
    I hear ya destee I recived this in an email it was forwarded to me I understand at the time i ddin't think that this was a rule violation I thought you ment plagerism I didn't take cridet for it so I thought it was ok I just fel that this was something that need to be fowarded to as many people as possible MY BAD it won't happen AGAIN!

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Yes UPPIE ... I know you weren't trying to claim the work as your own. I just want to make sure we ask folk can we put their property on this forum ... before we do.

Thanks Shugg.

Destee

ps ... it is relatively new, in that, we are just beginning to strictly enforce this rule.

5. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    i don't use the word. my peeps don't use the word or its variations...

recently i hit a poet in his rhime who used the word randomnly,
    regretted it.

it was given by haters, and haters of self have taken it.

peace be
    j

6. snood

snood New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    From where I sit, it looks as if we as a people have become and are becoming more and more aware of the uselessness of the word, in any form.
    What I can't understand is why there is so much tolerance and benign acceptance of the constant use of the word by our so-called hip-hop pioneers. I get sick of the petty justifications they keep using to keep capitalizing on this particular ignorance.

7. shaneak

shaneak Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Support engineer
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's called contenment and acceptance... what blacks oh so truly long for in the country... and what they settle for... which we have done for the past centuries...

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    in agreement wit da family !!!!
    dis be the act of da self back door kind.....
    da work is ban in dis house.

9. Thandiwe

Thandiwe Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    well just wait for the clothing line...

i was recently informed that a black "clothing designer" has started a line of clothing called, "rilnigga" or is it spelled "rilnilga". either way, here's another legal way to call us *****/******.

i wonder if it would have been acceptable and tolerable if the teacher would have called the offender a "*******" or "pusshead".

but you did mention it was california., home of proposition 281?, anti-affirmative action bills. you have many rappers and such using the term ***** so gratutitously, we allow it, buy it and though i am bothered, i'm not surprised.

i hope this teacher is appealing the ruling.

i was just watching on tv last on how the number of suspensions are increasing (thoug they have always been high in our community). the reason for this being, zero tolerance. this ruling didn't even give him a slap on the back. perhaps it wasn't mentioned by i also didn't see anything about destruction to property or any other charges they could have brought again the student.

10. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I agree....Yes, that's what it is.