Black People : Nigerians

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by karmashines, Jun 19, 2006.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    There is a very RACIST perception that Nigerians are swindlers and it sickens me. Are there any Nigerians here that can shed light on why such a perception exists except for RACISM? Anyone here know any Nigerians personally?

2. militant

militant Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks. I am glad you brought up the topic.
    I dont condone criminal activity of any form and it is unfortunate for those who have been affected. That said, I believe people have to be rational when making senseless generalizations. Make no mistake, I am Nigerian and proudly because I feel deep down whites fear strong and educated black people.
    Firstly, 95% of American fraud is perpetuated by White Americans. Something CNN refused to indicate in its recent onslaught of Nigerian in Houston. Mind you Nigerians in Houston has the highest per capita of medical doctors than any other racial group, including the Jews or Asians.

Secondly, I always felt that if we were to put up all criminal activities of Italians, russians, East Indians or hispanics on the news media, one would be forced to switch off the tv very often. However, the News Media will not do so because they feel it is politically incorrect to attack these groups of people. Consider the narrative of a certain friend of mine in UK with whom I brought up the exact question you raised, his words are as follows:
    I think the labelling of Nigerians as criminals has to do with many factors:
    (1) Identifiable criminal element(s) ala 419, drug peddlers.
    (2) A very visible Nigerian immigrant population in health care sector, economics, universities such that it goes against the tenets of white supremacy and as such needs to be qualified.
    (3) The unfortunate arrogance and loudness of many Nigerians that does little to win them friends and plenty to win them enemies.

It is noteworthy that the recent Operation Return to Sender arrested 2000 illegal imigrants, 800 of which were Nigerians. That is on the back of millions of mexicans protesting, attemtping to bring American to a standstill, with the Mexican flag.

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    We do have a fellow young Brotha here who is Nigerian and from Nigeria (out of respect for him, I will not mention his name), and from what he tells me and has told me, things are not very good for him either. I will make an attempt to find him though.

CD06

4. ibrahim

ibrahim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ghana
    Student
    Ratings:
    +122
    I have met a couple Nigerians who feel that way.
    Some too have been arrested for Fraud, 419.
    But you know what?
    Their victims are always white men
    GREEDY WHITE MEN

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367

............I hear you my Beloved Brother.......

I will even admit for my sake that it gets hard considering what goes on with our people around the globe. My take - 'Good Times' are surely coming to an end.

CD06

6. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    WELL///
    IF THYER GREEDEY WHITE MEN..
    THEN TELL ME...
    WHO TOOK THIER MONEY.. TO MAKE THEM WANT IT BACK?
    DID THEY NOT SAY THEY DID IT..
    OR DID THEY JUST GET A KIK OUT OF TAKIN A MANS MONEY WHO HAS ENOUGH FOR 2.. OR FOUR?

I DATED A NIGERIAN..
    AND HE GOT A KIK OUT OF GETTING OVER ON PPL...
    IT WAS ALMOST SIKENING..
    NEEDLESS O SAY THAT AINT LAST LONG...
    HIS MOTTO WAS THE WORLD OWED HIM AND HIS..
    SO WHATEVER HE TOOK WAS HIS IN THE BEGINNING.

7. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    hmmm.....

Well, my sister was with one for 9 years, and she had no such a complaint, besides the fact he did her scandalous toward the end of their relationship, and yes, over material items. The only rumor floating around (in general) that I know of, is that all the men have wives in their homeland, and they wire funds illegally, and scam for money. But hey, what foreigner DOESN'T have that reputation. I say judge them on an individual basis:spinstar:

8. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Man, people need to STOP stepping on Nigerians.

Dag, so much smut out there - cloggin' my arteries.

Stereotypes among our own are the worst.

~Ikoro

9. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18

Nigeria IS a very corrupt country. Even most Nigerians talk about that all of the time. I know too many Nigerians who can't go home due to the fact that billions that should have been used to develop the country have been stolen by Nigerian "Big Men." Simple things like a can of tomato paste cost an unbelievable amount of money there. Many Nigerians only eat one meal a day and even that one meal doesn't contain the proper nutrients.

Nigeria is "the" powerhouse of Africa--the most populous, richest,etc. What has the corruption in America or any other place got to do with the corruption in Nigeria? It's the corruption in Nigeria that deprives Nigerians here and there of their birthright!! Now we have all of these old Nigerians in America--who had looked forward to going home to spend their senior years and they can't due to all the money their own leaders have stolen. It's so sad seeing them, hearing them talk about their hopes and dreams of going home and now they can't and most of them now realize they're not going to ever make it home.

All Black people are not innocent pawns of white racists or the West. There are some "BAD" Black people out there and we have got to stop defending them!

10. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Excuse me sister, but I never said that all black people (or Nigerians, that you are so strongly hinting at) are innocent pawns of white racists or the West. Do not attempt to educate anyone on the subject matter of Nigeria, when, in all due respect, it is clear that you are not completely so yourself.

You keep repeating the same thing, "Nigeria is corrupt". WHO the HE** is Nigeria? Is it the Igbos, the Hausa or the Yoruba? Maybe the Fulani?

What group is Obasanjo from? What of the last president? Hm? You're always generalizing. It is no longer a matter of defending anyone but -ones own pride-, sister.

....Did you seriously just ask me that question? SERIOUSLY? You insult me and my nations intelligence. In fact, the whole continent and the MOVEMENT as well.

And who are you Americans to point finger at ANY country when you are living in the most corrupt nation on the planet? Please, wash your mouth. Even if you are not running things in the United Snakes, you cannot now, or ever until you have your own government attempt to insult/critisize another.

"Nigerians are corrupt"... Hmph. I spit at that statement. Is that how you will further the cause of the Nigerians you seem to pity so much, by pointing at them? Furthermore, oil, fish and other resources don't automatically turn into hard cash. Someone has to GIVE these "corrupt, bad men" all their money. That would be the white racists and/or the West (who are VERY well aware of the state of my country and my people).

Stop pointing fingers.

Perhaps my tongue was too sharp, if so, I apologize. I meant no disrespect. I just felt that I had to return what I was given.

Respect and humble apologies sister (brother?) Riada, and anyone else who attempts to join in on this discussion.

~Ikoro