Black People : Nigerian Woman Barely Escapes Stoning Death; Now Her Countryman Faces the Same Fate

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Pharaoh Jahil, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Nigerian Woman Barely Escapes Stoning Death; Now Her Countryman Faces the Same Fate
    By Alicia Johnson, Special to BET.com

Posted September 26, 2003 -- Just moments after a Nigerian woman escaped being stoned to death for adultery, her countryman was sentenced to the same fate for molesting boys.

Amina Lawal, a 32-year-old peasant woman, attracted worldwide attention when she was sentenced to die under Sharia, strict Islamic law. After months of legal battles and pleas from international human rights groups, a panel of five judges ruled 4-to-1 to spare the single mother, stating Lawal was not given "ample opportunity to defend herself."

Lawal is the second Nigerian woman to be condemned to death for having sex out of wedlock and later acquitted. The first woman, Safiya Hussaini, had her sentence overturned in March.

To read the rest of this article, please go here http://www.bet.com/articles/0,,c3gb7541-8365,00.html

2. Deepa

Deepa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Sad situations in a sick world.

Many see it as "us" and "them" when it is "we".

If "we" would have acted as a worldwide nation of people then "our" sistas and brothas wouldn't victimize other victims.

Now back to reality....

Don't ya just love subjective religious laws? Makes ya feel all warm and confused inside.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i was watching this and i agree with Deepa very sad and sick
    to stone her to death in time a over rule that save her life .wow!

4. Pharaoh Jahil

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    <<<Don't ya just love subjective religious laws? Makes ya feel all warm and confused inside.>>>

This just further proves that 'religion' is man-made.

5. Tetsujin

Tetsujin Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I find it interesting that the offending man in the stoning situation would not have received such a harsh sentence.....

6. HerukhuMaat

HerukhuMaat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think we should judge other cultures. If that's the law in their country who are we to say that it's not right. There are a lot of things in this country that we should be more concerned about rather than that particular incident.

Americans are so quick to judge and feel that what goes on elswhere in the world is so immoral when right here on our own soil there are still lynchings going on and injustice everywhere.

7. Pharaoh Jahil

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    <<<I don't think we should judge other cultures. If that's the law in their country who are we to say that it's not right.>>>

C'mon, you don't believe that a woman being stoned just because she cheated is wrong? When it comes to the treatment of another human being just because of some foolish man-made religious law, you better believe Im speaking on it. Im concern for the well-being of Afrikans all over the world, especially our women.

8. HerukhuMaat

HerukhuMaat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    <<<<C'mon, you don't believe that a woman being stoned just because she cheated is wrong?>>>>>

Hey,

If you go to many other countries in West Africa (I personally know the Gambia) a public stoning is the system for dealing with breaking the cultural and social laws. You probably don't realize that this is the way crimes of that nature are dealt with no matter who commits it. And yes.. women are dealt with in a different manner than men.. even in this country... We americans look from the outside and say what's right and wrong around the world based upon our culture not from someone else's.

That's the problem we're having in Iraq right now.. We're trying to impose our perspective and culture on foreign peoples without trying to understand and accept that we're dealing with other people who have different practices and value systems which are not necessarily bad but just contrary to our own.

Now did you ever ask yourself or find out what the crime rate is in those other parts of the world per person or per square mile in comparison to the U.S? In many places around the globe and in Africa you don't have the jail population that you have here... Consider that.

9. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Now did you ever ask yourself or find out what the crime rate is in those other parts of the world per person or per square mile in comparison to the U.S? In many places around the globe and in Africa you don't have the jail population that you have here... Consider that. (quote)

Yeah! Just kill all who offend us because we who is with-out sinn
    do have the right to determined the fate of others.
    ( Not neccessarily agreeing)

Why Stone only the women? Why not the man who also took part in this sexual act?

Inside us all there is some level of right and wrong isn't it?
    What if she was raped and the man says it was consential?
    What kind of justice would you call this? No! I have no right to judge another countries systems but I do have the right to voice my opinion exspecially when it comes down to the life of another that I didnt create. The creator is the judge of all life. Not man. Prison is the alternative. When we stand before his grace
    and he looks at the life we lived, I dont think the murder of his children would come off as pleasing!

10. Pharaoh Jahil

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Exactly Purple Moons!