Nigeria : Nigerian Islamist Senator Marries a 13-Year Old Egyptian Girl

Amnat77

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 11, 2006
UK..not for long
Occupation
professional.
Posted April 28, 2010

[I]Nigeria's Senate has ordered an investigation into reports that one of its members has married a 13-year-old Egyptian girl.

Ahmad Sani Yerima, 49, is alleged to have married her at the national mosque in Abuja several weeks ago.

Senators called for the investigation after receiving a petition by protesting women's groups, who believe Mr Sani has broken the law.

The senator has not spoken publicly about the reports of his marriage.

The BBC's Caroline Duffield, in Lagos, says Nigeria's human rights commission has already begun an investigation.

Mr Sani was the governor of Zamfara state, where he oversaw the introduction of Sharia law - for the first time in a northern state - in 1999.

Legal action

Our correspondent says reports of the marriage - appearing in newspapers - are creating a storm among human rights groups.

The female senators, lawyers and doctors who are protesting say that they fear for the child's health.

"What we are concerned with is that our minors, the girl child, should be allowed to mature, before going into marriage," Mma Wokocha, President of the Women's Medical Association and one of those behind the petition, told the BBC.

"This very evil act should not be seen to be perpetrated by one of our distinguished legislators ... that is what we are saying.''

The senator is reported to have paid a dowry of $100,000 (£66,000) to the child's parents - and to have brought the girl into Nigeria from Egypt.

The women's groups want Mr Sani to be taken to court, to face a fine and a jail sentence.

Our reporter says the whereabouts of the teenager are unknown - and it is not clear whether she has any parent or guardian with her.

Newspaper reports have also accused the senator of having previously married a 15-year-old girl in 2006.

The investigation is to be carried out by a Senate committee.[/I]

http://africansuntimes.com/cms/modules/content/index.php?id=31

Before I get accused of bashing Muslims or called a 'Zionist agent' lol....I should say that I come from a Muslim background; my grandfather was an Imam in Abeoukuta,Nigeria, who also taught Arabic in the school that I attended. In the 18 years that I new my grandfather I did not see/hear him or any other Muslims in my surroundings sanctions this kind of choice.

The pedophiles in the Catholic church are been exposed, let us shine the same light on pedophiles who use Islam as a cover to justify their sick preference for children.

Note: the LEGAL age for consent in Nigeria is 18.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back