Pan Africanism : Nigerian Foster Children in the U.K.: Another Piece of the Racial Puzzle

In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

Nigerian Foster Children in the U.K.: Another Piece of the Racial Puzzle...a very significant piece I might add.

I haven't had time to fully investigate this yet, but I did something I don't really do on the regular---watched The Monique Show. Last evening she interviewed Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, the actor who played Adebisi in the prison drama, "Oz," some years back. I've not really seen him in too many films, so I've not really paid that much attention to him. However, I found his story interesting. He's Nigerian by blood and ethnicity, but he was raised in England by whites. He revealed that, and I hope I'm remembering correctly, that he was among the first group of Black British as a result of a phenomenon of some unusual system of foster care. Nigerians of the time (the 60s) would come to work and be educated, and I guess, due to hardships and trying to accomplish their educational/career goals would frequently foster out, or basically hand their children over to whites to care for. He alluded to the fact that they suffered much of the same kind of 'white is better' mentality that most Blacks have been exposed to and felt the children would be properly educated and so on. The problem is that many of the children were apparently left with these white families permanently or for far longer than they should have been. He said he was with whites since about 6 weeks old, and subsequently, came to identify with them and not his Africanness. Hopefully, I didn't misunderstand his story, but that is what I took from it. I'm sure the show will re-air or can be seen at BET's site. However, I wonder if there is any correlation between these basically abandoned children and the reportedly high rates of IR in England. Anybody have any information on these children and the fostering system which socialized them?

Great dialogue, enjoyed all the links and information, also, seeing the Goddesses(Blaklioness and Amnatt77) at work is a beautiful thing.

And you are indeed correct Blaklioness, this foster care issue does become another piece of the Racial puzzle. What I find interesting is his father, after receiving his degree came back for his children, but at this point, it was too late, there was no room between the biological(s) to bond.

After the horrible sacrifice and purpose of foster care was achieved, Adewale gave his father the earned certificates of his education, reached inside of himself and followed his passion(singing), ending up here as an actor, according to the interview...smh

I agree. I'm hoping that assembling these pieces will start to help us realize just how much power we have in our own right to stop this foolishness that we've allowed to go on for far too long. It's truly pathetic that we can still be this entrenched in the sickness in 2010.

Great dialogue, enjoyed all the links and information, also, seeing the Goddesses(Blaklioness and Amnatt77) at work is a beautiful thing.

And you are indeed correct Blaklioness, this foster care issue does become another piece of the Racial puzzle. What I find interesting is his father, after receiving his degree came back for his children, but at this point, it was too late, there was no room between the biological(s) to bond.

After the horrible sacrifice and purpose of foster care was achieved, Adewale gave his father the earned certificates of his education, reached inside of himself and followed his passion(singing), ending up here as an actor, according to the interview...smh

In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

.......That's true Goddess Blaklioness, very true.

I agree. I'm hoping that assembling these pieces will start to help us realize just how much power we have in our own right to stop this foolishness that we've allowed to go on for far too long. It's truly pathetic that we can still be this entrenched in the sickness in 2010.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back