Pan Africanism : Nigerian Foster Children in the U.K.: Another Piece of the Racial Puzzle

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Blaklioness, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    I haven't had time to fully investigate this yet, but I did something I don't really do on the regular---watched The Monique Show. Last evening she interviewed Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, the actor who played Adebisi in the prison drama, "Oz," some years back. I've not really seen him in too many films, so I've not really paid that much attention to him. However, I found his story interesting. He's Nigerian by blood and ethnicity, but he was raised in England by whites. He revealed that, and I hope I'm remembering correctly, that he was among the first group of Black British as a result of a phenomenon of some unusual system of foster care. Nigerians of the time (the 60s) would come to work and be educated, and I guess, due to hardships and trying to accomplish their educational/career goals would frequently foster out, or basically hand their children over to whites to care for. He alluded to the fact that they suffered much of the same kind of 'white is better' mentality that most Blacks have been exposed to and felt the children would be properly educated and so on. The problem is that many of the children were apparently left with these white families permanently or for far longer than they should have been. He said he was with whites since about 6 weeks old, and subsequently, came to identify with them and not his Africanness. Hopefully, I didn't misunderstand his story, but that is what I took from it. I'm sure the show will re-air or can be seen at BET's site. However, I wonder if there is any correlation between these basically abandoned children and the reportedly high rates of IR in England. Anybody have any information on these children and the fostering system which socialized them?

2. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Sound like African Americans to me.. same same.

3. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Oh...of that I have no doubt. However, Black people here got that message directly from other Black people for the most part (plantation carryover)---not some sort of fostering system; this was a particular practice that I'd never heard of and so was curious about it. Typically, according to where we are in the world, unique experiences will dictate how the brainwashing occurs and through whom it occurs or continues to occur. So, it's helpful to know in terms of getting the big picture. He says that the practice essentially was the beginning of Black Britain as we currently know it. Apparently, BET has posted the episode; it starts around the 16:30 point...

http://www.bet.com/video/1480549 .

4. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    uhmmm I don't know... but the self hate amongst black is on a whole other level here...i ran across this yesterday- this man's sentiment is pretty common.

5. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    I don't think he identifies with white culture(he said he felt more closer to the people who raised him for 20 years-understandably) over african, since he decided to keep his Yoruba name even after being advised to change it, in order to 'make it' in Hollywood...and he speaks Yoruba,was born in the UK but dose not call himself British.

and this is his site ...Fela is as anti white as you can get..

http://www.adewaletheartist.com/flash/#/biography/

6. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Ok...he said he didn't feel at one point he was African or something to that effect ( I need to go back and relisten to him speak on it just to make sure I didn't misinterpret.)...he expressed that at the time he found out about his heritage/parentage (remember he was literally a baby when the whites got their hands on him) he went into some phase of denial. Now, what has subsequently happened may be a positive story; I mean hopefully he's taken other healing steps beyond just holding onto his name. Any Black person, regardless of where they reside at present, knows the extreme difficulty in casting off the plantation/colonialism demons when folks around you have no problems with staying in the matrix. I'm just glad he did get the opportunity to reconnect with his parents, so that he could work to 'get back on track.' I just found his story a revealing part of the racial story that I'd not known. I'm glad I watched.

As for that video, smh, (Why is it that I can never find that dang puke icon when I need it most?) I stopped listening right after the Beyonce and Halle as the exceptional "black" beauty comment. Don't even get me started on where negroes can take a permanent hike to with that white/light 'supremacist' garbage.

Who is Fela?...you mean Fela Kuti?

7. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    yes Fela Kuti.

8. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Here's a snippet of an article; it doesn't really have a lot of substantive information, but it claims that these parents are PAYING whites to take in their children because of the ingrained belief (LIE) that white is better--all this despite reported abuse. I'll see if I can other substantive stuff later.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Secret+trade+in+foster+children.-a0111428896

9. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Ok...his is a story I need to investigate in more detail. Unfortunately, he passed away early. I've read that there is a broadway musical about his life--not sure how much justice is being done, but there is apparently a mix of continental and diaporan Black folks in it. By the way, was Fela one of the fostered out children at some point? ---I mean, if that is why you brought him up, I think he would have been a bit older than when the fostering business supposedly started.

10. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    No I meant Adewale obviously knows about Fela (his music plays on his site)-to most Nigerians playing fela's music is a political statement.