Pan Africanism : Nigeria develops Plasma-Screen TV

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by militant, Nov 27, 2005.

1. militant

militant Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Im sorry, could have continued this in another thread but look, in all honesty, this deserved a new thread.

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This does deserve its own thread, and is a perfect opportunity to "buy black"! I see this as a very positive move for Nigeria.

3. militant

Ratings:
    +3
    Those were exactly my thoughts. A perfect opportunity for "buy black". But we all know that Africans both in Africa and in Diaspora will rather buy Samsung nad Sony Plasma screens from Japan and Korea. Just because of the name factor. I wonder how it will do with the african appetite for imported goods.

4. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    In the u.s. its all about how you market. if you can make the t.v. the "black thing to do" such as von dutch clothing, nike shoes, or cadillac autos it will be a gold mine for the producers. Or if you just make a creative marketing campaign all people will bUy./

5. militant

Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with you. But one must remember the images of Africa most people have as a factor. Japan wasnt always the best of countries when they first started out. It might take time for African technology to be taken serious.

6. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    tRUE, YOU WOULD HAVE TO PUSH THE PRODUCT FIRST RATHER THAN THE ORIGINATING COUNTRY OF THAT PRODUCT. oNCE AMERICANS ASSOCIATE QUALITY WITH A REGION YOULL BE HOT LIKE FIRE.

TAKE THE AUTO COMPANY KIA, A KOREAN PRODUCT. pEOPLE IN THE U.S. KNOW ITS NOT THE BEST CAR BUT BUY BECAUSE ITS PRICED RIGHT.

7. militant

Ratings:
    +3
    It also depends on the Main Market of the product. If say it is for argument's sake America, I would advice that they set up a branch here in America to help with the image issues. When the market is established with a firm hold on the market, then they can "go back home" by outsourcing the resources back to the head quarters in Africa.

8. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Meaning actually set up a production hub in the desired regeion? In this case the u.a.s.? or even find an american firm to help produce a "made in th u.s.a." product?

great point

9. militant

Ratings:
    +3
    Some of the guys who worked in the company are obviously Nigerians who lived overseas. Some of these Nigerians might have held high tech positons before they decided to help there native country. I believe one can pull such skilled Africans that are scattered all over the diaspora and build similar high tech companies. They need the incentives such as good infrastructure and investment to contribute there knowledge and skills.

10. twashing

twashing Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Do you have a link to some specs we could review?

/tim