Black Women : Nice Gestures

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by CarrieMonet, Oct 28, 2004.

1. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Whats the nicest thing you've ever done for a stranger? Why did you do it?

2. Kelvin Brown

Kelvin Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full time Internet Marketer
    Ratings:
    +1
    I never pulled anyone out of a burning car.

I am in DC. I always see people standing on a corner looking at a map and looking confused.

I help as often as I can.

On the net is probably by largetest contribution. I help bring businesses and consumers together. Sometimes I spot problems on websites and try to let owners know.

I have taught computer and martial arts classes locally, they are strangers, at least at first.

Know extraordinary.

kelvin

3. jazzymoonchild

jazzymoonchild Well-Known Member MEMBER

administrative
    Ratings:
    +9
    I work downtown in DC, and I practice random acts of kindness depending upon my mood. But to select the one thing that stands out I would have to say the day that I bought a homeless person I was about to pass on the street something to eat at a nearby store. I was feeling more blessed than usual that day, and something compelled me to stop and do something for him.

To add to this, something nice a stranger did for me one day...also during a lunch break at work, a friendly older gentleman, a cab driver in fact, was taking me to my destination, and out of nowhere, asked if I liked poetry. I said that I did, and he recited, verbatim and with such passion, various poems by Maya Angelou. He had the book for quite some time, and he handed it to me so I could read along. Then, he asked me to read some to him. It was great.

4. Solo

Solo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Tech Support for an ISP
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've done a few things, but nothing really stands out. I've given a girl and her grandmother cab fare, but that was because I was paranoid about giving them a ride myself. I'm a sucker for those people with the signs who are begging for food/money, even though I know some of them may be lying. There's other miscellaneous stuff like helping people with car trouble and stuff like that, but like I said, nothing really stands out.

5. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    This question kind of disturbs me because when I usually do something generous, I don't view it as a kind deed. I veiw it as paying it forward. For every kind thing someone has done for me I do for someone else. There for I am always going out of my way to help when I can. Even when I don't feel so kind.

I remember one time I was checking out at a supermarket. My credit card was acting up on the swiper thang. I was standing on a crowed line and so embarassed. I knew I had cash on my card but for some reason the machine wasn't processing it. I then told the cashier to set my things aside while I go and call my bank to see what the problem was. A women behind me then pulled out her cash and paid for over $60.00 worth of food. I told her that it wasn't necessary because I was going to call my bank and straighten it out. She then said to me, "no, please let me do this. I haven't done anything nice for someone in a while and I would like to do this for you." I was so filled with emotions that I almost cried right there in the store. While she was checking out I went to the cash machine to withdrawl the money I owed her but when I went back to the line she was gone.

I know this thread was about the kindest thing that I have ever done for someone but it didn't feel right to mention those things because they were done out of kindeness I have received all through my life. I just want to give back the kindness that had been givin to me.

6. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    I try to help out as often as much as I can. For instance, the other day while at the supermarket, I was waiting for my grandmother, and a woman was at the atm, withdrew her money and left..atm card and all. I ran up to her and gave her the bank slip and her card. Im first aid and cpr certified as well, so I will be able to use that whenever there is an emergency. I also try to say hi to someone who looks like they aren't doing to good, and things like that

7. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Say Purple you cool peoples and all, but it aint that serious. I do not think the intentions of the thread were to brag about your nice gesture, it was just to illustrate one so others can read and compare.

I have a few nice gestures, one nice gesture I did was give this lady and her kids who were stranded at the bus stop a paid ride home. It really makes me upset to see people sitting on wads of cash, and cannot even slide someone a buck in need.

8. CarrieMonet

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    DISTURBING?

You find this question disturbing? I understand where you're coming from and all, but the thread was meant to be a positive thing, not a disturbing thing and not a negative thing. DANG.

Sometimes we do something nice for someone without much forethought, and other times you may stop and make a decision to do an ACT of kindness. I asked the question not so people can BRAG about it, but just to share and reflect on making someone's day.

9. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Awww Man family! LOL I didn't mean to take this on a down :rain: note. Sorry about that. I used the word disturbing for lack of a better word. LOL I guess the word disturbing is a little harsh. Let me see If I can think of a better word that will discribe exactly what I meant.

what I mean is, it stirred me to think about all the kind acts that I have received throughout my life. It brought about a smile to my face just thinking about them.

You are so right Brother Manasiac, it is not that serious. I didn't intend to make it seem as so.

This is one of those moments where wording makes all the diferences! :) :laugh: :hammer2:

Please do continue to share all your acts of kindness. who knows, one of you might have been one of those gentle hearts who caused me to pay it forward. :blowkiss: :grouphug:

10. CarrieMonet

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15

:welldone: I always feel like I word things bad. Thanks for clearing that up, I was almost feeling bad for trying to lighten things up. LOL!