Black People : NEWS MEDIA & COMMON SENSE?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Metaverse, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    CAN THEY GO HAND IN HAND?

Destee Family,

this will be another long thread of issues! Do you think the News Media and Common Sense can go hand in hand? Have you ever read something in the media, or saw a program and said to yourself- "this does not make any sense!"

Don't feel crazy. You're not alone, and nothing is wrong with you. You're very normal.

It's just that today's media tries to capitalize on our attention span. Sometimes they take advantage of the fact that we live such busy lives we are willing to buy into just about any type of rhetoric they throw at us.

OK- Someone please tell me, how is this possible?

NEW YORK — Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of painkillers, sleeping pills, anti-anxiety medication and other prescription drugs, the New York City medical examiner said Wednesday.

See what I'm talking about?
    Sounds like a big accident. Why not just come out and say- Ledger committed suicide? Is telling the truth too much to ask? Or does being Blonde and Beloved make a difference?

2. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    common sense is worth just cents..

..its the idiots that make the real bucks.

My pet peeve are the many 'survival' media stories which make the world stand up and applaud, and I just wanna slap someone ;)

"man surives after being trapped for 20 days in a blizzard" - and the world applauds him.. for driving into a snow storm, knowing it was there, with absolutely no provisions, no skills, and told noone where he was going. *slap*

"hiker survives volcanic eruption" - now who the heck climbs a volcano knowing its about to erupt? *slap*

..then they go out and get book deals.. smh.

3. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Sis. Zulile, those survival stories are supposed to make us thankful for small miracles. That perhaps there is some good still left in the world afterall. Especially during a War season, and a bad economy- where people are just barely surviving. So seeing a group of Men being pulled out of a hole after being trapped in a mine after a couple of days gives us a sense of hope. We say to ourselves, maybe I don't have so bad. Soon someone or something will pull me out of this hole I'm in.

When placed in the right frame of "thought" IE- common sense...we sit back and think about it. Wait a minute, these people were in dangerous professions to being with. "Cop gets shot on the job" what? The news media sells sensationalism.

Only to by pass the positive stories we really need to hear about, especially when they concern our people.

Kids Build Soybean-Fueled Car

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/17/eveningnews/main1329941.shtml

Now this was way back in 2006. Of course this story didn't really see any light. For what? So people could start asking about soybean powered cars? And the gas companies start losing money? Most people didn't even know soybeans could be used to power cars.

No this is not the stories they want to show us. Because this is a story of liberation away from control. Survival stories on the other hand, keep us hopeful that we will be rescued someday. Indeed we are, usually. Remember the movie "Alive"- well, that was a survival story too. Some White folks were able to live on by eating the others. Now we know if this was a plane full of our people, we'd have some food along for a long flight, but that's just us.