Law Forum : New York Times: Should Black And Hispanic Men Be Banned From Chatting With White Feminist Women?

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074
    In the Spirit of Law,

New York Times: Should Black And Hispanic Men Be Banned From Chatting Up White Feminist Women?

By now, you’ve probably seen the viral video in which the frumpy woman with the “Flashdance” hair walks around the streets of New York City getting catcalled.

The hidden-camera video was released last week by Hollaback, a group that bills itself as “an international movement to end street harassment.” The video documents the woman, 24-year-old actress Shoshana Roberts walking the streets of New York for 10 hours as she claims to be the victim of some 100 instances of harassment. (RELATED: Why I’m Not Buying That New York City Street Harassment Video)

Now, The New York Times wants to know if a law should shield white feminist women by preventing black and Hispanic men from speaking to them, and possibly offending their tender sensibilities.

“Do We Need a Law Against Catcalling?” the august, Victorian newspaper asks.

http://news.yahoo.com/york-times-black-hispanic-men-banned-chatting-white-035140800.html

[​IMG]
    New York Times: Should Black And Hispanic Men Be Banned From Chatting Up White Feminist Women?

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

To answer the question, a resounding No to creating a Law!

Do We Need a Law Against Catcalling?

Hollaback!, an anti-street harassment organization, released a video taken with a hidden camera that quickly went viral, offering proof that the harassment women describe (and some people dismiss) actually happens on a regular basis.

Should current laws dealing with harassment be strengthened to include catcalling, or will that go too far in trying to control speech and behavior?

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/10/31/do-we-need-a-law-against-catcalling

[​IMG]To women everywhere, I say: Tell your story. Force your story into the public conversation, demand better treatment. Maybe it won't stop men from being sexist. What it will do, however, is contribute to a movement that makes them feel less entitled to act out that sexism.

[​IMG]
    The video “10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman” was directed by Rob Bliss.YouTube

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

Why I’m Not Buying That New York City Street Harassment Video

[​IMG]

Many liberals have claimed this is definitive proof that all American women face routine harassment and are daily victims of a patriarchal culture. However, as a woman, I have some serious issues with this video — and the crusade the feminist left is trying to rally behind it.

First, I have never seen or experienced anything bordering on the “harassment” liberal women claim to experience. Even accounting for the fact I could just be unattractive, I find it mind-boggling that women are pushed to complain about such a widespread, visceral issue that I have never seen.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/30/why-im-not-buying-that-new-york-city-street-harassment-video/

[​IMG]

AMEENA SCHELLING
    Freelance Writer

4. Xeon

Xeon Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +20
    Stupid! No need to say anything else......

5. Sabine

Sabine Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm not discounting the video, because it happened to me also. System of patriarchy exist in conjunction to white supremacy. I want to dismantle all of them. As women, we need to feel safe walking the street without being objectify.

I have to deal with white feminist women in regard to racism and I have to deal with men of color when it comes to sexism.

There's an intersection of both. They are not mutually exclusive. If you are about dismantling forms of oppression such as race oppression, why is it hard for men to understand that we women don't want to be oppress either.

I can vouch what happened to the woman happened to me. Here in US and other countries.

The law in effect is called harassment. It gets a bit iffy when the intersection of race and gender come into play. I've experienced white women who used their race to pull a one over a man of color. So when I listen to exchanges between say a white woman and a black man, I look at the dynamic of race more so than gender. Historically and current events, white women have used gender and race to entrap black men.

System of patriarchy paint women as weak, an object to be objectify. White men already treat white women as chattel and white supremacy objectify the black body so anyone with impure intention would use whatever leverage to regain a feeling of helplessness of being someone's "b*tch." It's just a plain nasty cycle.

My question is for the OP, by posting this are you saying sexism and the symptoms of it don't exist? Just because she's white she also live in a patriarchal society. She's oppressed by her gender if not racially.

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

Oh no Sabine, in no way are my thoughts such that sexism or any of it's symptoms, non-existent, quite the contrary. What peeked my curiosity however, would be whether or not a law against chatting was necessary, according to the title of the article:

New York Times: Should Black And Hispanic Men Be Banned From Chatting With White Feminist Women?
    Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Nov 4, 2014

It turns out to be about cat-calling, something I don't do and am against.

7. rasembi aunk

rasembi aunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Greetings Sabine,
    Could you give some detailed examples on how black men oppressed black women in this country?

8. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Nothing in that video approached harassment. Males and females have been meeting, hooking up, etc. just like that for centuries. To now call it harassment of any nature is BS!

Your explanation is a clear reason why marriage has become rare today. Females are left with the following now popular choices. Casual dating and the "hook up". Both of which are nothing more than objectifying excuses for sex with no responsibility. The film only shows blacks and Hispanics approaching her. All in a respectful manner. No one called her out of her name.

Btw, you should look up the thread in here commenting on that video

9. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126

NO!!!!!

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

Yes, I'm a gentlemen of integrity and would not want anyone cat-calling my better-half, mother, sister, daughters, female relatives, etc...