Black Education / Schools : New York Teacher Claims She Was Fired For Lessons On The Central Park Five

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
Jeena Lee-Walker claims her bosses said the lesson would start a riot among Black students

A New York educator has filed a lawsuit claiming she was terminated for teaching her students about the infamous “Central Park Five” case.

According to
The New York Daily News, Jeena Lee-Walker, an English teacher at the High School for Arts, Imagination and Inquiry in the Upper West Side, created a curriculum that included an exploration of the wrongful conviction of five teenagers in the 1989 rape case of a New York jogger. In Lee-Walker’s federal suit, the teacher claims administrators told her the lessons were unbalanced and would create “small riots” among Black students.

Lee-Walker instead believes the lessons left students well-informed about the amount of time Antron McCray, Kevin Richardson, Yusef Salaam, Korey Wise and Raymond Santana spent in prison for a crime they didn’t commit. In 2002, the charges were dropped and the men were awarded a $41 million settlement from the city.

Read more

http://newsone.com/3322060/new-york-teacher-was-fired-for-lessons-on-the-central-park-five/

Jeena Lee-Walker claims her bosses said the lesson would start a riot among Black students

A New York educator has filed a lawsuit claiming she was terminated for teaching her students about the infamous “Central Park Five” case.

According to
The New York Daily News, Jeena Lee-Walker, an English teacher at the High School for Arts, Imagination and Inquiry in the Upper West Side, created a curriculum that included an exploration of the wrongful conviction of five teenagers in the 1989 rape case of a New York jogger. In Lee-Walker’s federal suit, the teacher claims administrators told her the lessons were unbalanced and would create “small riots” among Black students.

Lee-Walker instead believes the lessons left students well-informed about the amount of time Antron McCray, Kevin Richardson, Yusef Salaam, Korey Wise and Raymond Santana spent in prison for a crime they didn’t commit. In 2002, the charges were dropped and the men were awarded a $41 million settlement from the city.

Read more

http://newsone.com/3322060/new-york-teacher-was-fired-for-lessons-on-the-central-park-five/

This is why our people have to increase our literacy and thirst for knowledge. We know that there are people in power who would rather cover up certain events in history that they feel will cause the natives to become restless. Most of their fear is more than likely projection, because they know how they have a hard time of letting go of wrong doings they feel that were done to them. So we as a people need learn to research these issues for ourselves and our future generations, or they will be lost in the mind numbing matrix of sports, drama, and comedies that we are feed to keep us from paying attention to what is really going on.

I don't buy the excuse that they are afraid that knowing the TRUTH would cause "small riots". I believe it's more about teaching/ learning/acknowledging the whole truth about all of our history in this country, would force white people to take some responsibility for our disposition, and give our children a proper understanding of how we got to where we are.

White folks would rather promote the narrative that there has always been an even playing field, and AAs have lagged behind only because we are are inherently inferior in every way. Then they can sleep easier at night.

I don't buy the excuse that they are afraid that knowing the TRUTH would cause "small riots". I believe it's more about teaching/ learning/acknowledging the whole truth about all of our history in this country, would force white people to take some responsibility for our disposition, and give our children a proper understanding of how we got to where we are.

White folks would rather promote the narrative that there has always been an even playing field, and AAs have lagged behind only because we are are inherently inferior in every way. Then they can sleep easier at night.

You have to learn their history to understand them. They have done the same to their own kind long before they started doing it to us. They still misrepresent history, the present, and their future plans to keep even their own people asleep to what is happening to them.

They do fear uprisings. Just take a look at European history to see how things have gone when they allowed their real views to be shown out in the open. They have learned, for the most part, their mistakes via the uprisings and downfalls of different political systems within their original area of influence. They also understand that their population growth is zero to negative and as such those they harmed will one day out number them. Burying the past is one thing they desperately desire to do, for fear of reprisals that they know they would do if they were in the victims shoes.

Right now, taking responsibility for our disposition is not nor will it ever be important to them. That is why it is incumbent upon us to build ourselves up. The only way you truly get concessions out of them is to approach them as equals or betters with the power to punish them for any shenanigans they might pull. So right now our main objective needs to be to acquire such power. The starting point being acquiring knowledge that can create tangible results (Hard Sciences, Economics, Diplomacy etc). We have to become a wise and knowledgeable people again, and then use that knowledge to become powerful & unassailable.

You have to learn their history to understand them. They have done the same to their own kind long before they started doing it to us. They still misrepresent history, the present, and their future plans to keep even their own people asleep to what is happening to them.

They do fear uprisings. Just take a look at European history to see how things have gone when they allowed their real views to be shown out in the open. They have learned, for the most part, their mistakes via the uprisings and downfalls of different political systems within their original area of influence. They also understand that their population growth is zero to negative and as such those they harmed will one day out number them. Burying the past is one thing they desperately desire to do, for fear of reprisals that they know they would do if they were in the victims shoes.

Right now, taking responsibility for our disposition is not nor will it ever be important to them. That is why it is incumbent upon us to build ourselves up. The only way you truly get concessions out of them is to approach them as equals or betters with the power to punish them for any shenanigans they might pull. So right now our main objective needs to be to acquire such power. The starting point being acquiring knowledge that can create tangible results (Hard Sciences, Economics, Diplomacy etc). We have to become a wise and knowledgeable people again, and then use that knowledge to become powerful & unassailable.

I know you enjoy bickering with me, nonetheless, I disagree on two points...

1) I endured the uprisings that followed the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., though I was very young at the time it was quite impressionable, a day I will never forget. And, I didn't experience it, but I remember the news broadcasting of the uprisings relevant to Alex Haley's mini-series "Roots". I don't believe for one second the story of The Central Park Five would create an uprising, and "they" know this. Yes, they fear uprisings, every time an unarmed AA kid is killed by a cop. But, The Central Park Five? Puhlease!

2) I am certain that the knowledge that we should concentrate on now is in the STEM areas if we want to be most competitive. Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back