New Rule - You CANNOT Create Private Chat Rooms

Discussion in 'Violators and Violations (Possible Ones)' started by Destee, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Members have always had the ability to create new, additional, public and private chat rooms. These rooms are temporary, automatically deleting themselves once the last person in it, has left. Even though this feature has always been here, few Members have taken advantage of it. It's not been any kind of an issue for us ... until yesterday!

Recently, some of the Brothers created a room called Occult. I've already created a thread on my initial response to this, but no matter that, i went in and listened, enjoyed the Brothers conversation, and even took part a little bit. It was all good.

So imagine my surprise, when i tried to enter again yesterday, and was locked out! :eeek:

I couldn't believe it! I have never been locked out of anything at destee!

It vexed my Spirit, that someone could walk through our very open doors, and then proceed to lock us out!?

We have struggled and lamented over the years, in an effort to never lock anyone out of this community! When some were suggesting, in times past, that we should lock Members out, nothing in my being could agree with that. Even though it seemed practical and logical, it went against everything i've ever wanted this community to be about. So it's never been done.

Yet here i was, locked out of a chat room! Oh My Gosh! It took everything i had in me, not to kick the door down!

Instead, i simply took the "privacy" feature off of the room, making it accessible to all, and vented a little. I promised those that were in the room at that time, that i'd make it the topic of my class discussion, which was to be held an hour or so later.

It all happened so quickly, this new experience for me at destee, and i responded accordingly. So please, those who locked the room, don't feel as though i was talking behind your back or anything. I'm glad you came in the chat, and i had a chance to repeat to you, what i'd been saying since i ran into the locked door.

Everything in this community, is for every Member here. All are welcome to participate at whatever levels they choose. We absolutely operate on an "everything out in the open" soulosophy ... hehehe ... (kiss to Sister Soulosophy) ... and if you want a room for your private interactions, you'll need to go to motel6.com, or some other place ... to get that.

While the feature is still there, the ability to create a private chat room, i'm letting you all know ... that it is now against our rules to do so ... and if you do it, you stand the chance of being banned. I'm going to work on removing it altogether, so it isn't the issue it currently is ... but until then ... please take heed to this warning. While we have the ability to remove any privacy settings, we don't expect to have to babysit anyone on this ... now that you know.

For those who are not familiar with additional chat rooms and stuff, making them, etc., let me share the little i know.

1. Every Member can make a room (at this point).

2. You must enter the main chat room, The Lounge, to get to any of the Member Created rooms.

3. Once in the Main Chat Room (The Lounge), you can see and go to the other rooms by clicking on the down arrow keys shown in the image below:

[​IMG]

4. Simply click on the room of your choice, and you'll be taken in there.

5. If you'd like to create a PUBLIC Room, click on the ADD button shown in the image below:

[​IMG]

6. A new screen will appear, as shown below. Simply enter the name of your room (this example created the Boom Boom Room), make sure PUBLIC is chosen, with NO PASSWORD included, and click on CREATE.

[​IMG]

That's all i really know about this, as it's not been used very much over the years, so i'm learning with you all.

If you have any questions or concerns, please post them below.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

2. Edward Williams

Edward Williams Well-Known Member MEMBER

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
  3. YungMiss

YungMiss Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +7
    :hearthis:I agree that the rooms should stay public..if you have some kind of knowledge to share then it should be open to everyone..this is a nice community where everyone should be able to give and recieve information/knowledge..so why deprive your brothers and sisters if they are interested? So lets keep those doors open and keep the UNITY in this CommUnity!!! :grouphug::number1:

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Because everyone is welcome to everything, and if the doors are locked, it hinders that.

:heart:

Destee

5. Ionlyspeaktruth

Ionlyspeaktruth Banned

Ratings:
    +6
    has it ever occured to

any of the women here that man's business and women's business can or should be seperated once in a while? SMH! But then again, sisters tryin to be MEN and brothers actin like ****...:10500::10500:

6. LindaChavis

LindaChavis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    God Bless the child...

..who has his own. IF the men have so much private business they dont want women folk to be a part of it..then set up your OWN PRIVATE community just for men. Why argue with Destee about the why and what of this community when she has made it clear.
    Respectfully
    Linda

7. YungMiss

YungMiss Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +7
    There are forums for the Men to speak in as well as there are forums for the Ladies. If the Men want a time to be seperated then they can host a Brothers Only class just as the Sisters do, that option is still available. Besides the room that was set up wasn't a Brothers Only Room it was an Occult room. So why should'nt everyone be allowed to get in on that info? Don't you want the Sisters in this community to be as knowledgeable as the Brothers? or am I detetecting some double standards?

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Management!

Destee,
    :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Another, excellent decision! There should be nothing hidden from such a gracious owner and Lady.

9. Ionlyspeaktruth

Ionlyspeaktruth Banned

Ratings:
    +6
    My sister please tell me

Who is arguing? I understand that most people both male and female are used to people shutting up and not voicing ,but for the life of me I dont see an argument.....

Respectfully, Ionly :)

10. Ionlyspeaktruth

Ionlyspeaktruth Banned

Ratings:
    +6

SMH