destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
New Jersey Apologizes for Slavery

updated 6:20 p.m. EST, Thu January 3, 2008

(CNN) -- A committee of the New Jersey Assembly on Thursday approved a resolution that would make the state the first north of the Mason-Dixon line to apologize for slavery.

The symbolic atonement would follow apologies for slavery made in 2007 by legislators in Alabama, Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia.

New Jersey was the last northern state to abolish slavery, in 1846.

The resolution, championed by Assemblyman William Payne, notes the state, "with as many as 12,000 slaves, had one of the largest populations of captive Africans in the northern colonies."

It adds that New Jersey had one of the most severe slave codes in the North, and was one of the few Northern states to sanction the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, which allowed authorities in non-slave states to capture escaped slaves and return them to their owners.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

jamesfrmphilly said:
yeah, well i ain't accepting....not as long as they got newark and camden

My mother who is quite sick at present, tells me that her mother lived in and around Elizabeth N.J., I never had the pleasure of meeting her as she passed a few years before I was born mid fifties. This "apology" will have the same effect on my beloved deceased as it will on the millions who died wondering at this cruel trick named democracy. Is it a correct step, we will know soon enough! For each of us it may be that chance to prove the oft stated missive concerning the slave condition..." I would never let them (enslavers) do that to me!" You see it has been stated that the slave may not have recognized his/her condition, that what we see in the pure vision of history may not have been so easily regonizable to the victims at that time. If this is so, can history be repeating itself? Is it possible to be fooled again? If so we have only ourselves to blame this time.

Destee said:
New Jersey Apologizes for Slavery

updated 6:20 p.m. EST, Thu January 3, 2008

(CNN) -- A committee of the New Jersey Assembly on Thursday approved a resolution that would make the state the first north of the Mason-Dixon line to apologize for slavery.

The symbolic atonement would follow apologies for slavery made in 2007 by legislators in Alabama, Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia.

New Jersey was the last northern state to abolish slavery, in 1846.

The resolution, championed by Assemblyman William Payne, notes the state, "with as many as 12,000 slaves, had one of the largest populations of captive Africans in the northern colonies."

It adds that New Jersey had one of the most severe slave codes in the North, and was one of the few Northern states to sanction the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, which allowed authorities in non-slave states to capture escaped slaves and return them to their owners.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

Sister Destee, did you happen to read this article on the same issue, only with a different take on the subject? I found it to be disturbing, but not out of character for politicians.

http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_mary_sha_080103_new_jersey_assemblym.htm

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back