Science and Technology : NEW HEAD OF MIT CheE Dept

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Kemetstry, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    Paula Hammond named head of Department of Chemical Engineering at MIT
    By Lango Deen
    Aug 19, 2015 - 7:28:09 AM

[​IMG]

An MIT faculty member since 1995, Paula Hammond, the David H. Koch Professor in Engineering, has been named the new head of the Department of Chemical Engineering (ChemE). She is the first woman and first person of color appointed to the post.

"We are fortunate to have someone with Professor Hammond's vision and dedication to lead this distinguished department," says Ian A. Waitz, dean of the School of Engineering. "She has a deep knowledge of the Institute and has led a remarkable career as a researcher and educator. Please join me in congratulating Paula on this appointment."

Hammond is a core faculty member of the Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research and was a founding member of the Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies. She has collaborators in academic departments throughout the Institute, and has worked with clinicians and researchers at various Boston-area hospitals. Her research group focuses on biomaterials and drug delivery. Their research focuses on the self-assembly of polymeric nanomaterials; the core of her work is the use of electrostatics and other complementary interactions to generate functional materials with highly controlled architectures, including the development of new biomaterials and electrochemical energy devices. She and her former students and postdocs have started a range of biotech companies.

Here is an interview Professor Hammond did with Black Engineer dot com's Lango Deen in 2004 to mark National Mentoring Month.

Paula Hammond: I'm very active with informal and formal mentoring of African American students and women students on and off campus. For example, I speak to advise and encourage the African-American students at MIT, attend and give forums, and appear on panels that address career issues and issues of work and family. I've been working at my church, St. Paul A.M.E. in Cambridge, as a volunteer in its Math-Science Academy.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    chemistry is hard.....:goodpost:

3. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings: