Black People : New fed laws needed to stop oil rig spillers from investigating themselves

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ankhur, May 19, 2010.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    So now the farmer is allowing the fox to investigate...
    who ate the chickens missing from the coop???????

Published on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 by the McClatchy Newspapers
    BP Withholds Oil Spill Facts — and Government Lets It
    by Marisa Taylor and Renee Schoof

Toby Odone, a BP spokesman, said the company is sharing the data with "legitimate interested parties," which include government agencies and the private companies assisting in the cleanup. When asked whether the information can be released publicly, he responded, "Why would one do it? Any parties with a legitimate interest can have access to it."

Joseph T. Hughes Jr., the director of the worker education training program for the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, said he didn't think "anyone has seen much of that data at all."

"The hard part about it is that in a normal response, when the government is doing this, there might be more transparency on the data," Hughes said. "In this case, when you have BP making the decisions and collecting the data it's harder to have that transparency."

Unlike the response to other past national disasters such as Hurricane Katrina where the government was in charge, BP has been designated as the "responsible party" under federal law and is overseeing much of the response to the spill. The government is acting more as an adviser.

So far, the government has been slow to press BP to release its data and permit others to evaluate the extent of the crisis.

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2010/05/19-0

2. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    This does not sound good at all.

But I wonder how the past oil spills compare to this one or, has there been one in the past as bad as this one.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Brother Ankhur ... it's just how it works, why are you so up in arms about it?

It's no different than us expecting, demanding, begging, fighting for the federal government to make laws that are fair, equitable, and just, when it comes to us ... and they are the very same ones that enslaved our people, instituted jim crow against us, and keep us systemically at the bottom of the economic food chain.

It's okay for us to look to them, to investigate, fix, and correct, those wrong deeds ... right? Looking to the fox, to protect the chickens.

So why not let them do the same in this oil situation? What's the difference?

They do the wrong, and they are also the only ones that can fix it.

It's a pattern at this point.

As far as I'm concerned, what we see, is what they want us to see.

I'd not be a bit surprised if they all wanted this oil to flow in the gulf, for it would achieve other ends they seek, that aren't real clear to the rest of us.

It's all their own stuff, and they are doing it like they want, without any one of us being in a position to stop them.

Rant and rave all you'd like, the decision was made to put oil in the gulf ... and guess what ... oil is in the gulf.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

4. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    The difference is that most of us including myself voted for what we expected to be a progressive administration that said much about the ecology and , would not repat the coziness to the oil companies that we saw during the last 8 years under Bush, butare some folks nowsaying that Dr King was a fool for speaking out about the rights of sanitation workers, o Dr King was a fool for being against the Vietnam war and speaking out about the government, or Malcolm X o his birthday today for speaking out about US opression of Dark skinned people all over the planet, well if they are fools for speaking out then I will be a fool also, unless I have broken dome rule of this website, then please let me know.

5. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    They told Medgar Evers , and Fannie Lou Hamer, and Dr King, "well Jim Crow is just how it works and you folks do not deserve to vote",

but they raised hell about it and Malcolm proposed strategies about how to use it to our advantage.

6. bientempo

bientempo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
    I would imagine that just like here, there are probably not needed any new laws. What is needed is enforcement of existing laws. Not just in the case of the Gulf for Oil Drilling, but other ills also.

The laws are normally there, but they are not enforced!

A law is no longer a law, only a group of words, when it is not enforced!

7. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    Excellent point, and there has been much evidence to verify what you say!

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Brother Ankhur ... of course it's not a rule violation. Just because i'm taking part in the discussion, does not mean a rule violation is present.

I quoted your opening sentence about letting the fox investigate who ate the chickens, as you seemed to have a problem with it.

We have historically let the fox investigate and remedy how many of us they have eaten, so why not go to them for the oil issue too?

What's different regarding this oil investigation, that does not apply to those same foxes dealing with Black People?

My only purpose for posting, was to ask you why don't you want to go to the foxes for the oil, but you go to them for your people?

You don't trust them to manage the oil issue properly, but you do trust them to manage your people properly? Is that it?

They are the same foxes. I don't understand why you look to them on one hand (for justice), but don't wanna look to them on the other (for oil).

It's no biggie ... you're free to go to anyone that might deliver some justice, including the fox with the blood of our people still on their breath.

I just wondered what difference you see between the two scenarios, since you are doing different with them.

I never called you or anyone a fool.

Love You!

Destee

9. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    but you do trust them to manage your people properly? Is that it?

after over my 80 posts to the contrary what gives you that impression?

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    How you gonna answer my question, with a question?

Again I ask, if you can go to the fox for justice for our people (the federal government), why not go to them for the oil issue?

Destee