Site News : New Community Features - (share if you find any)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Destee, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I usually don't even have time to "write up" the new features, in some cases I don't even have time to thoroughly test them and learn them myself! It's so much work keeping us alive and viable on this fast moving super information highway!

:whee:

So I am starting this thread for you all to ask questions or share answers about new / different things you might see. I am always trying to add new stuff for us, even if i cannot document it all to you properly.

I need your help.

That's what this thread is for.

To begin :

Sister butterfly#1 ... i logged in as a Premium Member and do not see any ads ... i think i've filled the home page up with so much of our stuff ... it looks like there must be an ad in all of that ... :) ... but there is not ... if you can tell me what the ad says i will try to confirm this ... posting this on on your profile too ... just in case you don't get to see this ... if any other Premium Member sees ads ... let me know what they say ... thanks bunches ... :heart:

Brother jamesfrmphilly ... lol Brother James ... :love: ... thank you ... yes, that is new (little image of self's avatar where threads are listed) and it indicates that you have posted to the thread. So if we see the normal thread starter avatar, and then see a little picture of self on top, it means we have posted to that thread. You're the only one that sees your avatar and everyone else sees theirs, if applicable. Love You! :heart:

Brother jamesfrmphilly ... there is also a little circle between the avatar and the thread title - if you click it it will take you to the "first unread post" in the thread ... based on your viewing of the thread ... i hope ... Love You!

Brother Clyde C Coger Jr ... i did see your question about the top right hand button being changed from ... Create a New Thread ... to ... Start a Discussion ... i did that thinking it was a bit more intuitive, and we shall see. It may be changed again later.

Also Family ... the birthday greeting on the home page will be given to everyone that has a birthday on that day and has been active in the last 30 days.

If I think of more I will post here ... #newfeatures

If you all see more that looks new and are not sure about it, post here also.

Much Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Polls are randomly chosen to show up on the site now.

It useta be this way, years ago, and we're doing it again.

So the polls you add to your threads will be rotated randomly on the site.

I think it's best to keep them open forever, for voting - but it's your choice when creating the thread.

If you have any questions please ask.

#newfeatures

Loving Us!

Destee

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Images are randomly rotating on the site too - those you add here.

If you mark them as private, they will not be displayed publicly in the rotation.

#newfeatures

Loving Us!

Destee

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    i would like thegrio and google+ added to the list of URLs that we can display...

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Let me share too, Brother UBNaturally pointed out that the video title below kept the curse word showing :

Rihanna - ***** Better Have My Money

In some places it displayed ... and some places it asterisked it out as it should ... :look:

I posted that video and did not expect the curse word to show up ... :eeek:

But it did.

Sooooo ... we can keep an eye on this ... please don't take advantage of this failure.

I'll be working on trying to make this not be the case, but until then ... be nice please.

If i have to manually edit titles and clean up behind folk ... it aint gonna make me happy ... :censored: ... :)

But i am aware of this ... and will do what i must ... thanks Brother U BEE ... :)

#newfeatures

Loving Us!

Destee

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677

What do you mean Brother James ... like when adding videos to threads ... theirs automatically display?

Tell me more and i will work on it.

Loving Us!

Destee

7. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    :SuN023:We the members of the society for the betterment of the web site. We don't like all these dad gum changes and demand they stop, immediately

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    if i want to show some news from thegrio all i can do is paste the link here.
    on other sites if you paste the link it will go get the story and copy the pictures and the headlines and so forth.
    here i have to copy and paste text and pictures individually.

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677

Thank you.

Can you give me an example of what you're saying, from a site that it does work for?

I've never seen this before.

Even if it's on another site, where you can do this - can you give me a link to where you've done it, so i can see it?

I'm thinking i have seen where if you copy a bit of text from a site, it automatically includes a snippet of the story and a link back to it ... but that is a function of the site it is coming from (to protect their content) ... and not a function of the site it is being pasted onto.

Off the top, i'd think site owners would not want people doing this, as it virtually takes their content away from their site and posts it here - if just posting a link from the site gives you the article, images, etc.

If you can give me a link to where i can see this in action, it will help me understand better what you're asking for.

I will surely try if i can ... but again ... i see copyright infringement all over this and can't imagine other sites would want their content taken in this manner ... but the Internet has changed a lot over the years and maybe this is some new stuff i do not know about.

Let me know ... give me a link if you can where i can see it.

Love You!

Destee

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677

i already said that you and jamesfrmphilly would be the ones saying ... bah humbug! ... :)

and then Brother James liked your post ... see ... i'm psychic! ... :mix:

for 19 years we have not changed much ... i can't change us much because it's a lot of work

it's only a little bit of change here and there ... hopefully always to make us better

i know it's rough in the beginning, getting use to the change ... but ... c'mon yall ... :chair:

for real though Kem and James ... say you like it please ... i've worked really hard ... :cry:

Destee