Black History Culture : New Black History Book: "When We Ruled"

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Sami_RaMaati, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Sami_RaMaati

Sami_RaMaati Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +243
    http://www.whenweruled.com/index.php

"When We Ruled" by Robin Walker, a brotha from the U.K. who appears to have done tons of research to put this together. It covers the 99% of our history that is generally ignored during Black "History" Month: Ancient Afrikan civilizations prior to slavery.

It looks like a badly needed update to Chancellor Williams' "The Destruction of Black Civilization", Dr. Yosef ben-Jochannon's "Africa: Mother of Western Civilization" and John G Jackson's "Introduction to African Civilizations" rolled into one 700+ page volume.

2. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    great post..

3. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    While I appreciate this post, and no doubt it will be of great service to those who are in need of a "general knowledge" of African history...this is exactly what I regard this work to be..." A GENERAL KNOWLEDGE WORK".
    I say this because the work in and of itself is "MUCH TOO SMALL" to be catagorized as an "updated version of the books previously mentioned".

Africa, Mother of Western Civilization is 700 pages all by itself. Introduction to African Civilization is almost 300 pages by itself and Destruction of Black Civilization is almost 400 pages by itself. This leads me to conclude that this work is more than likely a "glossed over surface skimming of our history" as opposed to an intimate understanding of our history. It is in this area that European so called scholars will bust our behinds because if they do nothing else, "they get intimate."

While I applaud the work that the brother did, I have an equal understanding that the work and the author is obviously of no significant threat to the structure of Europeans or of white supremacy if his work is being used in any academic or systemic educational structure.

In examining his list of the quote unquote "100 greatest books of black history", I did not see one book there that was a threat to white supremacy or european structure as it exist. There was no Neely Fuller, No Dr. Francis Cress Welsing, no Dr. Wade Nobels, no Dr. Naim Akbar, no Amos Wilson or for that fact anyone who would give our people an understanding of what we are dealing with and how to come up out of it. This leads me to question the brothers actual "African Consciousness" as opposed to his understanding of African history. All the same, I must applaud the brother on his attempt at any rate. This is simply "my own feed back and warning" to those who might mistakenly purchase this work thinking it to be more than what it actually is.

4. Sami_RaMaati

United States
    Ratings:
    +243
    That’s fair enough, but given the current level of ignorance among our young people about our history, wouldn’t you agree that even a “general knowledge” of Afrikan history beats the hell out of the current fare being served up to the masses of black youth by the likes of 50 Cent, Snoop and Beyonce?

I never said it was "an updated version of the books previously mentioned", I said it LOOKS LIKE A BADLY NEEDED UPDATE. What I meant by that was that I expect it to cover the same ground as the aforementioned books, but with new material incorporated. After all, those books were published in the 70's and we do need fresh ammunition, correct?

I never said it was a paragraph by paragraph rewriting of those books. It could very well be that he was able to encapsulate in a few paragraphs what Williams, Jackson and ben-Jochannon took a page or two to write. But we'll never know that unless we actually read it. Have you read it?

The same criticism can be leveled at Chancellor Williams' "The Destruction of Black Civilization" (DBC), Cheikh Anta Diop's "The African Origin of Civilization" (AOC) Dr. Ben's "Africa: Mother of Western Civilization" (AMWC), and a number of other books. After all, DBC covers the history of Kemet, Nubia, Central Afrika, West Afrika, and East Afrika in one volume (the actual number of pages that cover history per se is 307). If one really wanted to get "intimate," one would have to assemble a group of experts in the fields of Afrikan archaeology, anthropology, history, and linguistics and write a series spanning several volumes and thousands of pages on West Afrika, and then do the same for Kemet, Nubia, Central Afrika, East Afrika, North Afrika, etc. The result would be rather unwieldly for lay people. It is clear that this book was written for the masses, as were DBC, AOC, AMWC, et al. What I recommend is that instead of judging the book by its cover, we wait until we actually read it for ourselves before commenting on the adequacy of the depth of coverage. Do you agree or disagree?

I understand where you're coming from, but you must understand that a line has to be drawn somewhere when writing about history starting with who the intended audience is. Otherwise one would have to spend an entire lifetime mastering all the disciplines that interface with history in order to produce a single work aimed at professionals in the field, when a 713 page book written for the masses would be been more than enough. All authors have to decide where to start and finish their work based on who the target audience is, and I ain't mad at the brotha for limiting his coverage to 713 pages, especially when I haven't yet read it.

That's not necessarily true. For a time at least, Marimba Ani's "Yurugu" was being used as the main textbook in a course in at least one major university in California (I forget which one). If you read "Yurugu" then you know that it can hardly be said to be of "no significant threat to the structure of europeans or white supremacy." I personally know of at least one other lilly white university where the curriculum includes several classes that are a definite threat to the system of white supremacy.

In any case, whether or not his work is being used in such a setting, we'll won't know if it poses a threat to the structure of Europeans or of white supremacy unless until we actually read it.

In the first place, his list was not titled "100 greatest books of black history," it was titled “100 Greatest Black History Books” meaning these were books about black HISTORY. The writings of Neely Fuller, Frances Cress-Welsing, Naim Akbar, Amos N Wilson, and Wade Nobles deal not with history, but with BLACK PSYCHOLOGY. I know quite a few people whose psychology has been altered significantly by the proper study of black history. I’m sure you do to. Ashra Kwesi in his lectures points out that “someone knows something about you that they don’t want you to know about yourself.” I don't have to tell you there's a reason people don't want us to know about our Truestory because it has a significant potential to alter our psychology for the better, even if we're never exposed to the writings of Wilson, Fuller, et al, which to me would be icing on the cake. Now, if Robin Walker were to draw up a list of books dealing with black psychology and left the above authors out, then I’d have a problem with it.

Secondly, I saw plenty of books on that list that are a threat to the system of white supremacy. The ones on the list that I personally read in whole or in part were:

Nile Valley Contributions to Civilization--Anthony Browder; Egypt: Child of Africa--Ivan van Sertima; African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality? Cheikh Anta Diop; Echoes of the Old Darkland– Charles Finch; The Star of Deep Beginnings– Charles Finch; How Europe Underdeveloped Africa--Walter Rodney; General History of Africa vol II– (this report of the 1974 UNESCO symposium on the peopling of Kemet features Diop and his protege Theophile Obenga [who is still intimidating white ‘scholars’ with his research] and their kickass presentation at this conference on the peopling of Kemet); Precolonial Black Africa– Cheikh Anta Diop; The Destruction of Black Civilization– Chancellor Williams; Introduction to African Civilizations--John G. Jackson; African Origins of the Major Western Religions–ben Jochannon et al

Other important books on the list are:

Afrikan Genesis, Volume I. My son used this one as part of a curriculum in corrective history through the Afrikan Genesis Institute/Teen Summit 1000 program headquartered in Philadelphia. This is strong stuff for anybody, let alone a teenager.
    The Signs and Symbols of Primordial Man by Albert Churchward– a key reference used by Dr ben in “Africa: Mother of Western Civilization”
    Civilization or Barbarism–Cheikh Anta Diop; The Ruins of Empires-Count CF Volney (the english version was materially altered before distribution in Amerikkka during the slave era because Volney, a French nobleman, made the point in the 1700's that the very black men that europeans enslaved and labeled inferior are the same ones who gave them the elements of civilization)
    Wonderful Ethiopians of the Ancient Cush.ite Empire--Drusilla Dungee Houston
    What They Never Told You in History Class--Indus Khamit Kus; The African Origin of Greek Philosophy--Innocent C. Onyewuenyi; Black Women in Antiquity--Runoko Rashidi et al;
    Blacks in Science: Ancient and Modern--Ivan van Sertima et al; Early America Revisited--Ivan van Sertima; The A-Group Royal Cemetery at Qustul: Cemetery L (contains an important archaeological find that shook up the world of white egyptology)

The Irritated Genie--Jacob H Carruthers. I knew Jacob Carruthers personally (he died in ‘04). Everything he ever wrote was devoted to demolishing the myth of white supremacy.

If you don't think any of these books pose a threat to white supremacy, then my kufi's off to you for having such high standards.

I thank you for your feedback, and now you have my response to it. Now people will have to decide for themselves whether they'll going to read this book and let the chips fall where they may. I'm waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail. I look forward to reading it.

5. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    Thanks sam, I'll have to add that to my collection.:luvv:

6. TreasureEyes

TreasureEyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I'll definitely look for this book! Thanks.

7. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    My school just broke the bank on this Math book promoted by the University of Chicago. The entire city, more or less, is mandated to roll with the program (politricks). But I will certainly address the book to my principal. I think the title in itself will throw the kids for a loop and interest them. Thank you.

How did that happen? He was a young Brother.

8. Sami_RaMaati

United States
    Ratings:
    +243
    Actually he was in his early 70's when he died (of cancer), which is 'old' by the backward western standards of aging, but not old by the standards of traditional Afrika (and other non-western cultures).

9. historicalwalke

historicalwalke Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Dear Group

The website www.whenweruled.com has a number of pages called 100 facts about Africa. I don't remember seeing HARDLY ANY of these facts in the books by Dr Ben, Van Sertima, Chancellor, Jackson or Diop.

What does anybody else think?

Peace

historicalwalker

10. amandararebit

amandararebit New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Htp

I have actually started to read When We Ruled. It is an amazing read and the pictures kick butt. I think you guys are confusing books about Black topics (politics, psychology, sociology, etc) with books about Afrikan history.

Htp

Amanda