Black People : New BET Commercial...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by DreamFunk, Jun 30, 2003.

1. DreamFunk

DreamFunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    Who has seen the BET commercial were the little black boy is at the blackboard trying to solve a math problem?...The problem is like "3 + 3" or somthing simple....the little black boy is thinking SOOOO hard, he really wants to get it right....then he writes "6" or whatnot....then at the very next instant the camera pans out and then a crowd of black adults begin to cheer and celebrate....they have on party-hats and everything....confitti and the whole nine....

....who would make such a commercial...???...Am I the only one that is angered my this MESS....???...

....what this commercial is saying is that it sould be cause for celebration for a little black boy to solve a math problem....HOW RIDICULOUS!!!.....and this is coming from our own people..???..the commerical is putting a subliminal message in the mind of the viewer that Blacks are natually stupid, therefore if a black was to do anything using his Mind (rather then his loins) it is out of the ordinary and should be celebrated....

...if you saw a black dude dunk a basketball would you be shocked and feel the need to celebrate???....the thing that enables the Blackman to physically excel is the same thing that enables us to mentally excel....

I'm pretty sure all of us have heard this or somthing simular said: "Blacks have COMMON SENSE/(Street Knowledge), and although White people are SMART, they shole aint got no COMMON SENSE"
    ...but what is the difference between having COMMON SENSE and being BOOK SMART...???....I'll tell you:
    1. Common Sense in inherited...
    2. Book Smarts requires RESEARCH...
    3. Common Sense and Book Smarts are NOT two separate entities...

....Was Einstein born with all of his theories and equations engrained in his head...????.....NO!!!...He studied, reseached....he built upon all of the centuries of knowledge before him...most dont know this, but Einstein was a German Jew....and if would have lived under Nazi oppression would he have accomplished all of his scientific achievements...???...Most likely not....would he just have been a been a natural idiot....??..most definitley not....even if he didnt have the opportunity to LEARN/RESEARCH he still would have possessed a genius mind with the potential/capacity to change the world....

...and lastly...the "Dumb Jock" thing is a BIG WHITE LIE....until Blacks were "allowed" to participate, and later dominate in them, sports were considered an activity for the "privaleged" (smart/wealty) in life....it wasent until Blacks started dominating World sports that athletic people were equated with "stupidity".....Just look at Jesse Owens and the 1936 Olympics....Hitler thought that Blacks were "monkeys" and that they were inferiour to his "Aryan Master Race"....he wanted to use the 1936 Olympic Games to prove his theories of "white superiority"....and to make a long story short, Jesse single handedly whooped the Aryan Master Race's Aryan *****.....they weren't even true "Aryans" anyway.....the REAL Ayrans were a tribe from the Indus Valley (India), but that's another topic....
    Owens pierced a myth

The same thing that allows a Blackman to physically dunk a ball over the head of a 7'2" tall European dude is same thing that will allow him mentally jump over his head also...
    [​IMG]

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    DF, I have not seen the commercial that you mention because I don't watch BET. I hope the creators of this commercial didn't intend to send the message that Blacks are stupid, but it just goes to show you how even the best of intentions can often be perceived negatively and have a negative impact.

Do you have any idea who sponsored the commercial? Are you so sure it was "our" people that created it? True BET stands for Black Entertainment Television (I think), but I'm not sure we should assume that everything shown on that station is meant for Blacks or is even an accurate reflection of what we are about.

Your passion is felt strongly and I support, for the most part what you wrote, but I can see a difference between common sense and book smart.

Our history is riddled with evidence that people couldn't read a lick but they aren't dumb. I also think that common sense can be learned so it's not necessarily something that we are born with. I believe that common sense comes from the way we are socialized in a particular culture. What might be common sense in one culture, may be considered stupid in another.

Book smart requires the ability to read and comprehend. Books are made up of words that convey someone's ideas. People's ideas reflect how they have been socialized. The words will either make sense to me or they will confuse me because I'm not familiar with the information and how it's being written. In order to learn it, I must have the ability to read it and comprehend it.

I believe that our learning styles are influenced by culture. I started learning long before I entered a formal school. We all did. I'm sure you know there are different styles in the way we learn. If the way we are taught and the information being taught is incongruent (foreign) with the way we learn (i.e. standardized tests), conflict will occur. Change the information on the test, write it in a language I can relate to and you'll see a difference in the results.

So no, we're not stupid, we're not dumb and we're not White.

Peace! :heart:

3. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hey TimeWarner....Welcome to our forum and thank you for this great message. :wave: You are so right--come between someone and his/her money and you will surely get their attention! Your name is interesting considering the topic of this thread. :)

If you haven't already, we hope you visit us in Voice Chat and listen to our own Radio Station. We're open 24/7. We'd love to have you join us.

See you around! Peace :)

4. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    TW, I could be wrong but I think to change your name you might have to re-register under a new name then you can set up your membership according to the new parameters that you choose by clicking on the "User CP" (control panel).

I like the reason behind your current name but it's also obvious to some as to why they would get it confused with the Fortune 500 corporation by the same name.

If you have any more questions or need assistance, just let us know.

Peace! :)

5. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Great new name!! What does it mean? :)

6. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Okay...so you have some homework to do! I look forward to seeing the results of your research! :)

Peace!