Black Education / Schools : Need your help guys.

highfive

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 24, 2010
Hello everyone, I hope you're all ok. First off, I might as well admit that I'm white and British, so I probably shouldn't be on here, so I apologise in advance for that. Basically, I need your help.

Right, for a piece of work for college, we have to do a presentation on a social issue. I decided to do black people's representation in the media, and I've done all the stuff about Dr. Mark Dean and Ray Lewis and Fox News, But I was thinking for a case study I would do something on New Orleans. I'm aware of the criticism of the slow government reactions, but I was looking more on the press' side, many people have claimed they were being racist (Including our friend Mr. West) but it's very hard to find examples of this, even on wikipedia. So, does anyone have any links to the media being racist? I'm thinking perhaps online videos on youtube, or maybe online press articles, but they're going to be hard. So, I was hoping you guys would be able to help? I wouldn't normally ask but finding links is so very hard, and obviously I was hoping to raise awareness as I did so.

Hello everyone, I hope you're all ok. First off, I might as well admit that I'm white and British, so I probably shouldn't be on here, so I apologise in advance for that. Basically, I need your help.

Right, for a piece of work for college, we have to do a presentation on a social issue. I decided to do black people's representation in the media, and I've done all the stuff about Dr. Mark Dean and Ray Lewis and Fox News, But I was thinking for a case study I would do something on New Orleans. I'm aware of the criticism of the slow government reactions, but I was looking more on the press' side, many people have claimed they were being racist (Including our friend Mr. West) but it's very hard to find examples of this, even on wikipedia. So, does anyone have any links to the media being racist? I'm thinking perhaps online videos on youtube, or maybe online press articles, but they're going to be hard. So, I was hoping you guys would be able to help? I wouldn't normally ask but finding links is so very hard, and obviously I was hoping to raise awareness as I did so.

Highfive ... Welcome ... Thanks for joining us! :wave:

Isn't it unethical ... cheating even ... to get others to do your research for you?

What year are you? Do you mind sharing the name of the school you attend, and maybe even, your major?

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

Hurricane Katrina hit N.O in Aug '05.

The surviving Black people who were shown by the U.S. media were referenced as "REFUGEES" in the news. ---Now, we both know that these AMERICANS evacuating a city in their OWN COUNTRY should not have been called "refugees;" but that is how the media depicted the Black people.

When Black people were shown with food while wading/floating through the flood water, the news reports said that they obtained that food by theft/looting.

When White people were shown with food while wading/floating through the flood water, the news reports said that they "FOUND" some food.

I do not have corresponding video links; but if you Google, you may be able to find some on FOX, ABC, NBC, or CNN.

Good luck with your college presentation.

Hurricane Katrina hit N.O in Aug '05.

The surviving Black people who were shown by the U.S. media were referenced as "REFUGEES" in the news. ---Now, we both know that these AMERICANS evacuating a city in their OWN COUNTRY should not have been called "refugees;" but that is how the media depicted the Black people.

When Black people were shown with food while wading/floating through the flood water, the news reports said that they obtained that food by theft/looting.

When White people were shown with food while wading/floating through the flood water, the news reports said that they "FOUND" some food.

I do not have corresponding video links; but if you Google, you may be able to find some on FOX, ABC, NBC, or CNN.

Good luck with your college presentation.

We're such a great community ... good look'n out Sister Cherry ... :teach:

:heart:

Destee

Thanks!

Thanks a lot, This has helped so much.

Destee: I don't know whether it's classed as cheating, because this isn't a piece we get marked on, it's sort of a "see how they're doing so far" piece. I just thought that I may as well do the piece properly. And I figured institutionalised racism within the media isn't going to get a lot of coverage within the media itself, and I was right, so I thought if anyone would know (It's more difficult for me because I'm not American, so a lot of the news reports I don't get first hand) then it would be people who are actually noting these things happen within their own community.

I go to Egglescliffe Sixth Form College, but this is going to be confusing to people who don't understand the British education system, so let me explain.
British children must be in primary education from the ages of 4-11, similar to your elementary schools. Also compulsory is secondary education from the ages of 11-16, would this be the same as your middle/high schools? But while Americans choose between colleges and universities (Am I right in saying this?) British kids can go into college at 16 and stay for 2-4 years, THEN it's customary to go to university at age 18/whatever age you finish college.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back