Black People : NEED FOR A NEW FORUM?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Keita Kenyatta, Aug 27, 2005.

?

Is there a need for a new link?

1. yes

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. no

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    [COLOR=Black]Destee,

I've been doing some thinking...and you already know that that means trouble. :angel1: I've been considering the vast array of topics and of information that has been coming out regarding the reality of our people. As time has moved on and with the advent of new people always coming in, we often find ourselves at a bridge of having to recite or renew issues that many times has already been dealt with and settled.

It does not matter if the topic is one of religion, culture, science, economics, education, white supremacy or whatever. The point is that so much is spread all over this forum...a forum with many links. Often times there are links here that just on "subject title alone" would not gravitate a person to click into it.

Sadly, under those very links may lie information that many of us need but may not know it simply because of the "title the link" may have. Therefore I am proposing that a "new link
    " be added to this forum entitled: "The Fact Zone".

This will be a link whereby "factual information" is posted. Not information that "we think is true", but information that has been "proven beyond doubt" to be true. Obviously this new "Fact Zone" will be a conglomeration of every subject, but only subjects that have been proven to be true "beyond doubt".

Let me site a few examples if I may:

Is it a fact that we were enslaved under Islam?
    Is it a fact that the so called 10 commandements existed before Moses?
    Is it a fact that the so called "ark of the covenant" is a copy of something else?
    Is it a fact that "racism" is a European creation?
    Is it a fact that black people can not be racist?
    Is it a fact that women have been religiously and historically suppressed?
    Is it a fact that there is no language older than what our people wrote and spoke?

I think that you understand what I'm saying.

I would like to have a zone or forum with nothing but factual information that has been and can be proven instead of it being spread all over the place as it presently is. This would also call for us to inform you which post from various forums would have to be transferred over here, since it is possible that the person who originally posted it may or may not still be with us.

This is just my thought on it and maybe I should take a poll on it first to be balanced.
    [/COLOR]

2. Keita Kenyatta

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Okay yall, if you're reading it you can vote on it. Start exercising some power to go along with those opinions you been thinking anyway.

hetep.

3. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    oh? Yeah, lets think about this one! premature vote, tho ...

Again, Brother Keita, a most excellent offering to the Family! this sounds like a really great idea to be considered. kudos to you for tossing it up on the table!

i think it would be a good idea. and something on the quick links menu might be a useful tool. perhaps we could play with the idea a bit before deciding to vote on it?

let's look at this as a suggestion for discussion. shoot; go ahead and open the thread in the open forum, or, front porch, while we kick the thought of how we'd grow something like that. this thread will already be here when we do get ready to vote on it!

good thunkd! :number1:

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    It sound really great but also can fit well in the forum we have
    our open forum can harbor such links and imformation it can
    also be place'd atop for new members to vent into the forum
    and fine such links with great infomation JMO ..................

5. Wisdom7

Wisdom7 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I think it would be a good idea, only thing I don't know, is how people might see determining fact. For me, I like reading all different views, but then again even that part about the 10 commandments and Moses I would like to know about the facts on that and if it is "factual" like you say.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    Brother Keita ... thank you for your suggestions. It seems you are addressing 2 separate issues here. The one above speaks to the fact that there is information strewn all over this community, throughout the various forums. Some with thread titles that are clear, some not so clear. There are threads with similiar topics and responses, and oftentimes it's difficult to know where to look and how to find things.

I agree, this is true, but it's really the nature of the discussion forum. With almost 35,000 threads, i don't know how we can really avoid this, and am dreading the thought of trying to re-categorize all (or even a great portion) of these threads.

We've basically built the individual forums, and asked the Family to place their topics properly within them. If the Mods see something that is out of place, it will get moved, but to try to redo what's been done, would be a monumental task (for folk who are already giving so much of themselves).

Brother Keita ... okay ... the above is issue #2.

Regarding a "Fact Zone," who would be the one to determine if a fact is indeed a fact, and worthy of inclusion into this new forum? "Beyond a shadow of who's doubt?" I'm certainly not qualified to do that. Actually, i believe that most every thing a Member shares here, they believe is fact. As you've witnessed, Sisters and Brothers will debate, argue, what have you, over a specific point because one believes theirs is fact, and another believes the opposite is fact.

This already happens, we just don't have the added responsibility of stamping all of the many threads as "Fact" or "Fiction." Even the most reknown scholars will argue over what is "fact" or not. What one considers to be factual, is all based on their understanding of things, their studies, their world view, who's word they believe, among other things. So much of what we share, is based on historical data, that took place long before any of us were born. As a result, all of us must trust someone's version of things, to some degree or another. Rarely are we receiving eye-witness testimony.

In addition, the added work it would give to the Moderators and myself, to (somehow) approve these threads, move these threads, and maintain this added responsibility ... is not a task i want to give the Moderators. They already do so much to help manage this community, without ever receiving any compensation for their time and energy ... i simply can't ask them to do more, unless absolutely necessary.

Brother Keita ... these are my initial thoughts after reading your suggestions, but i'm open to change. At this point i'm not convinced that this is the way we should go, for the reasons stated above, but you are more than welcome to try and change my mind. :) If you're able to do that, i'll be more than happy to implement your suggestion.

Please cotinue to share your thoughts with me.

:heart:

Destee

7. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I think if you have a lot of information to post a forum is actually not the best place to put it because there's just going to be too much feedback. A separate 'informative' website is best for things like this, in my opinion.

8. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I voted yes. Let's give it a chance! A fact is something that can be proven irrespective of religious or philosophical persuasion. For instance, Julius Caesar was dictator of Rome, or George Washington owned slaves. Both of these facts can be proven

9. Keita Kenyatta

Ratings:
    +3,382
    The problem we have here is that there are some who have an issue with "what" is a fact and "what isn't. Example: Are the pyramids in Africa? We could all say yes....but in reality, who has seen them to say that they are really there? I'm not playing that game today. My job is not to convince anyone of anything that they do not want to acknowledge for what it is. For instance, "how do we prove that our ancestors were in slavery? Were any of us there to see it? No we were not.

How do we know that the stories we heard about it were true? I mean, they could have been lies for all we know. I'm not playing that game. In other words, how do we discern a fact from an opinion? If we as a people are so blind that we can not discern a fact from an opinion, then this forum is not needed.

10. Wisdom7

Wisdom7 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Wow, iin my post I only looked at it as honoring everyone's truth. Sometimes people believe or see what is true to them and then can learn from somone such as yourself and others to show them the "facts". I don't believe there is a right or wrong here. Do u think people would be more apprehensive to even post something because they're afraid they don't have all the facts. I would think it would set up a blockage to someone wanting to learn. But at the same time it would be nice in reviewing other posts if you placed facts as you know them as a site of reference.