Black People : Nearly 40 Percent Of Europeans Suffer Mental Illness

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Keita Kenyatta, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,383
    Europeans are plagued by mental and neurological illnesses, with almost 165 million people or 38 percent of the population suffering each year from a brain disorder such as depression, anxiety, insomnia or dementia, according to a large new study.
    With only about a third of cases receiving the therapy or medication needed, mental illnesses cause a huge economic and social burden -- measured in the hundreds of billions of euros -- as sufferers become too unwell to work and personal relationships break down.
    "Mental disorders have become Europe's largest health challenge of the 21st century," the study's authors said.
    At the same time, some big drug companies are backing away from investment in research on how the brain works and affects behavior, putting the onus on governments and health charities to stump up funding for neuroscience.
    "The immense treatment gap ... for mental disorders has to be closed," said Hans Ulrich Wittchen, director of the institute of clinical psychology and psychotherapy at Germany's Dresden University and t

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/us_europe_mental_illness

2. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    I don't know why, but I was struck with a laugh attack the entire time I tried to read this article. Wow! I can't even begin to try and prioritize some of the thoughts that come to my mind as to the probable reasons why these Europeans have mental problems to such a degree. But then too, they have most of the money and are able to go to doctors and be put on a percentage scale, but Black people of whom have suffered trauma as a result of racist actions are deprived of money and a means to get therapy and can't be put on a scale to find out how we fair as a whole in terms of mental health.

Because as a young person and being in an environment where I've seen several European mothers around their young kids, I can tell you that I've often wondered about their children due to a pattern that I seem to have recognized. They yell a lot!--around their children. They lose patience quickly and start yelling and the kids respond to this by yelling, hitting, and when they go to school, they seem to be hyperactive. I've often wondered about this in relation to how some Europeans act. How can you be calm when you've been exposed to nurturers that constantly pop off and started yelling, and acting out... freaking out...needing a cigarette or something to calm your nerves and etc...

3. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    I say the percentage is higher.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    more like 99%?

5. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    "Mental illnesses are a major cause of death, disability, and economic burden worldwide and the World Health Organization predicts that by 2020, depression will be the second leading contributor to the global burden of disease across all ages."

I guess it's not just Europeans/Whites...

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    If so many of them suffer from mental illness ... and they have authority over us ... what does that make us?

:heart:

Destee