Black Sports : NCAA SICKENING

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Therious, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Watching these coaches who already make millions in salaries , getting paid milions fopr commercials. Watching the NFL and NCAA in unison on keeping kids from making money by rule of supreme court, while they sell their jersey's, and make millions off of bowl games, tournaments ect, and not pay the atheletes a dime, all while spitting cliche after cliche on kids in need of "higher education" ....hence the title of this thread.

2. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    As I look at this problem the solution is not an easy one.

We know that in college sports football and basketball bring in the most revenue. The question is what are schools doing with this money? The short answer is using it to fund other less profitable sports and funding other school activities that have nothing to do with sports. To me its wrong to exploit the money making sports and their athletes like this, but if they dont divide the money most schools will only offer football and basketball.

I believe that if a school is benefiting from selling an individuals jersey then yes they should compensate that individual. It goes into a copyright issue if a star athlete was able to copyright his/her jersey with his/her name on it then that would perhaps make the school compensate that person for selling his/her copyrighted property. However I dont think it will ever happen this way.

When I was in college I couldnt work because of the terms of my scholorship and that made it very hard on my parents because were else is the money coming from? I guess they think because you are on scholorship that your parents will send you money for gas, laundry, extra food etc...etc.

In conclusion the N.C.A.A makes life as a student athlete hard and you wonder why you have so many kids jumping right into the pros after high school.

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    should the coach get that high salaries? maby they should divide that 3 ton 4 mill up amongst the entire team. does all of the money go to other sports? none goes 2 administrative fees or "meetings"/

good points god.

4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    DELETED BY AUTHOR

5. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    HaHaHa,

Welcome brutha Cedric I was wondering when you was going to drop us a visit. Good points...

6. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    The real issue

The NCAA pockets big bucks from atheletics especially the major two. The real issue here is why does one go to college in the first place. See almost no says "I want to go to college to become smarter or to become enlightened". From the time we are young our parents tell us to get good grades so we can go to college and get a good job so we can make a lot of money. So this is what college is about. College is a vehicle to obtain more money in life. So what wrong with this picture? Our philosophy in going to college just makes us a high priced slave to corporate America, useless you earn a degree in law or medicine. Doesn't anyone see what's wrong with this picture? Our thinking needs to be revamped before the system can be overhauled....

7. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    couldnt agree more, perhaps colleges should offer a sports major. many do such as sports mangement, and broadcast, business ect. bottom line parents should teach their kids that college must be used as a tool for ownership , not slaveship. tis the only way in this day and age.

one

8. DCBob

DCBob Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree that there should be a higher academic standard for athletes at all universities. Seems to me that so many get away with things just because they are athletes. What has to be realized is that only a very very small percentage of college athletes actually make a living off the sport.

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    DELETED BY AUTHOR

10. Froggy1

Froggy1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Are there any HBCU's on the West Coast?
    Cause I was thinking of playing for Lorenzo Romar at U-Dub but if there's any black colleges on the West Coast I could probably change my mind.