Black Sports : NBA ROUNDUP

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Omowale Jabali, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    As the NBA regular season is drawing to a close, who do you THINK is the NBA's Most Valuable Player?

What are your predictions for the playoffs?

2. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Answering my own questions.

1. LeBron James.

2. Detroit Pistons. The Best team-players with the toughest DEFENSE in the league.

And they have one thing a lot of teams lack with strong "D". Excellent perimeter shooters.

3. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Top 5 Efficiency Ratings

Kevin Garnett 30.3
    LeBron James 29.59
    Shawn Marion 28.73
    Elton Brand 28.63
    Kobe Bryant 27.42

4. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I'd have to vote for Lebron James or Shawn Marion. Shawn Marion is consistantly bringing it every game. Lebron is averaging around 31 pt, 6 rebs and 6 asst. I look at what Shawn Marion has done for Phoenix without Amare, and I vote for him. He's probably the most underrated player in the game..and on top of his offense, he's a great individual defender. Lebron will probably get it next year, but this year I'd vote Shawn Marion. I would also consider K.G., but it's hard to vote for a player on a non-playoff team.

Predictions for playoffs? I think in the Finals it will be Detroit vs. San Antonio. No one in the East can beat Detroit, but in the West it's not as locked-down. Dallas can rise and take the West (if they are 100% healthy) or even Phoenix (if they place an ounce of defense in the playoffs).

5. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    nba roundup...

is there any question...kobe,he has carried the lakers on his back the[WHOLE]season,dropped 81 on the raptors,got em in the no.7 spot in the west,a one man wrecking crew...mr.MVP.

6. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Yeah, I 'm sure there is a question. Kobe is the league's hisghest scorer but is that all there is to the game?

Lamar Odom has more assists and rebounds. Four players have higher efficiency ratings including Elton Brand whose CLIPPERS are THE LA TEAM at the moment.

I'm sure there is also a good case not only for LeBron but also K.G. and Shawn Marion, who not only has emerged as one of the most prolific scorers,playing alonside MVP Nash, but is a much better defensive player than Kobe who used to be a perennial all-defensive player.

Let me ask. How many double doubles or triple-doubles has Kobe had this year compared to the others mentioned?

7. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34

Not to mention Kobe brings the spirit of the team down, and on more than one occassion the team played themselves back into a game the moment he went to the bench. Kobe is the best scorer (ppg-wise ONLY) in the NBA, but he leaves a lot to be desired everywhere else, including fg%. I would vote Steve Nash MVP before Kobe. There are a few players that I would put ahead of Kobe (Lebron, Nash, Brand, Marion, Garnett, A.I. and maybe even Chauncey Billups). Kobe has a lot of growing to do because he's becoing one-dimensional. Even Carmelo Anthony deserves to be considerd, because he's hit more game-winning shots than Kobe this year and shoots a better %.

I believe it should look something like this

1. Shawn Marion
    2. Lebron James
    3. Kevin Garnett
    4. Elton Brand
    5. Allen Iverson
    6. Steve Nash

8. Agent_Jack

Agent_Jack Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Kobe, Hands Down Shawn Marion benefits form an excellent point gaurd and system, He is great at floor running and thats how he gets most of his points, on breaks, back cuts, etc. Rarely did you see him get true post points that started on the block.

9. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    That doesn't make him any less of a player. One could argue that Kobe gets his points from shot volume, not shot selection or good shooting %. Also, Kobe benefits from teammates and a coach that allows him to dominate the ball whenever he's on the floor. Also, a lot of Shawn Marion's points come from hustle and pure atheletic ability, because Phoenix doesn't run any plays for him. That right there shows that his stats are well earned.

10. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    This is partially true. There is a reason I posted the players with the top 5 efficiency ratings, where MVP Nash is nowhere listed. In fact, it is my contention that Steve Nash is highly over-rated, while Shawn marion is highly underrated, as is Elton Brand.

Like I asked before, how many double-doubles or triple doubles has Kobe had compared to the others mentioned?

Furthermore, a lot of Marion's point come from STEALS and BLOCKS. One can argue that Kobe benefits from the play of parker, and especially Lamar Odom, who is abmong the leading rebounders and is a capable scoreres. In fact, I am willing to wager that Lamar odom has more double-doubles than Kobe who is weak on the boards and a low assist average.

Brother Kentemojo was right about another improtant fact. As a FORMER long-time Laker fan I recognize that a lot of Kobe's points are from going so often to the free-throw line (Kobe is a crybaby who is constantly whining to the refs) and his fg% is horrendous.

For example, I remember in his last playoff appearance, the teams fg% was around .44 while Kobe shot .33

At what point is it clear that the more he shoots the more he TAKES THE REST OF HIS TEAM OUT OF THE GAME???

And that was playing with Shaq who always had a high fg%.