Black Sports : nba dRESS cODE

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Therious, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Comical. The suit, the priest uniform, or the white tee? Who's the danger?

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    THROW OUT THE THROWBACK DRESS CODE IN...

Commissioner David Stern made his NBA dress code official Monday
    players can no longer wear saggy jeans / oversize throwback jerseys /
    work boots / gym shoes once the regular season starts
    at a mimimum players will be required to wear Business - casual attire
    whenever they represent their team or the league including all team
    functions / media interviews /traveling to and from arenas

also prohibited is visible chains / pendants / madallions
    players who not in uniform and sit on the bench must wear sport coats

He (David Stern) states that their code to clean up the NBA bad image
    and the dress policy in all cases to ensure that players will be neatly
    and professionally attired ,while not being unfairly burdensome to players

To me it's a box of bull to force these guys to dress out and not feel
    comfort when moving from arena to arena ....cleaning up the league
    from the worthless fighting and bad habits on court is one thing but
    to do this is forceful ......sense their are over 90% Black players

The question is how will these guys feel and respond to such request
    and code upon them and what will it coast if the new NBA law is not
    followed ...???

is it another way to keep a man down and break his bank ??

or is this a great thing for the league and it's image ????

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    This was a racist move, by a cowardice orginization.

Phil Jackson stated "its time to get rid of the prison garb, the violence from hip hop music".

Coach jackson hip hop made you, rap artist shaquille oneal made you, Michael jordan inventor of the baggy shorts made you. Jackson showing his true racist colors. Why doesn't this mediocre coach whith great players shut his wanna be buhdist monk mouth.

So those white collar criminals , and baby rapists wearing business suits are some how less threatening right? The leaugue is getting to 'black" for these Beyaitches.

Hip hop made this leauge what it is, its hip hop money that buys their gear, their jersey's. Perhaps we should just stop buying their jersey's, and shoes!!

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    The reasoning behind this is simple. Thugs don't buy tickets to see NBA games!

5. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    but how bout those corporate thugs, ceos, and mobsters?? They buy plenty a ticket.

6. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Honestly, I don't think they should issue a dress code because these are grown men, not kids. On the other hand, I don't think a lot of these grown men need to dress like 15 yr. old little boys either. They don't neccessarily need to dress in a stiff suit and tie, but a lot of the guys still sag their pants, and walk around like thugs even though they live in the hills. Some of them still even roll around in their cars carrying a gun under the seat like they're scarface or something. I think they need to clean up their image on their own without the white man David Stern having to do it for them. That itself makes black men look like children in the eyes of the world.

7. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    i think if it were a bunch of whiteboys dressed ;like punk rockers or harley motorcycle riders (the latter two who sell cocaine, crystal meth, acid, ectasy and cary pistols) there would be know dress code. i also find it sad how so many black people support the assault on young black fashion.

8. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    I disagree. I think allowing our grown black men to dress like that, even after they are out of the hood and successful is worse. I think it's sad that so many people think that dress is appropriate for grown men. I don't think it's productive that black men be allowed to influence the youth to dress like thugs when they have access to so many young minds. I find it interesting that so many black men find it so difficult to grow up. Like I said, I don't think it should have come to this. Black men should have cleaned up their image on their own. These black men are in the white corporate world. They take the millions of dollars associated with playing in the white man's league, so don't be surprised when the white man asks you to jump through his hoops. I have no problem with black men dressing comfortably, but even in regular jobs (most of them) you are not allowed to come in and dress the way you want to, so what makes these guys think it's going to be any different? Especially since their image plays an important part in marketing and the success of the business.

9. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I agree that any company will reserve the right to institute a dress code. As a matter a fact an employee should represent the company well dressed. The NBA has the right, but i still believe it was done out of racism as well as ticket sales. like i said theyre not talking about steve nash dressed like a surfer bum, theyre talking about allen i dressd as what they perceive to be a thug. Just like its no prob for brett farve to show up looking like a mountain man wearing cut off flannel shirts. you know the type of mountain man who grows acres of weed and coke?

I dont think a wave cap, or madallion makes you a thug. i also think its how you rock your clothes. i mean Jay-z or russell simmons, or P. diddy all are highly successful grown men that wear this type of clothing. Sometimes they wear suits as well. I think what the world perceives as grown men are men from the sixies and seventies generation. there style of dress and life were different, these grown men who dress in non conservative suits are the new grown men. thats just how it is btw many do wear suits.

10. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    I don't think those items (wave cap, sagging pants, madallion) makes a person a thug either, but I will not deny that the fashion trends surrounding that appearance perpetuates the thug element. If a guy came to my door dressed like a thug with a wave cap, madallion and sagging pants on, he won't be taking my daughter anywhere. Russel Simmons, Jay Z and Puffy all dress the way they want because they got their own thing going. Also, they all make money off of the thug image, even though they will swear up and down that they don't. I even think it was ironic that Russel Simmons was at the Millions More Movement. But either way, I think once a black man puts himself into a white corporation, don't think you'll ever have the greenlight to operate as an individual. Of course David Stern would have no problem with white people looking like mountain men, because he can relate to that. He's afraid of black men that look like thugs because they are already showing signs of defiance against the system by going against the grain. It may not be empowering to black people, but it's also telling white people "I don't care what you think of me", and they get scared when they're faced with that attitude. Who is David Stern going to embrace first, a brotha in a suit or a brother dressed like Allen Iverson? The suit, because it allows him to sleep better. My point is, black men should defy the system in other ways (spending money for black people, creating systems of empowerment etc) instead of dressing like slobs. That's not doing anything but fueling an already burning stereotype about black men being tall children.