Black Sports : NBA 2010 / 11 SEASON

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
BOSTON -- LeBron James and the Miami Heat were showered with chants of "Overrated!" They sure looked that way in their debut as a team formed to win a championship.
The Celtics showed off their togetherness against the Heat and won the battle of the Big Threes,

The old Big Three of the Boston Celtics, playing under the franchise's 17 title banners, beat the new Big Three of James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh 88-80 on Tuesday night.

The Heat, though, knew it would take time to jell.

"It's a feel-out process," James said. "When you have so many options, it's something I'm not accustomed to, having that many threats out on the court at the same time."

Celtics coach Doc Rivers is convinced the Heat will progress into a title contender.

"They're going to be great," he said.

Not yet, though. Wade and Bosh weren't even all that good on opening night.

Wade was limited to 13 points on 4-of-16 shooting and Bosh added eight points and eight rebounds. The trio combined for 15 of the Heat's 17 turnovers -- eight by James, six by Wade and one by Bosh. And Miami was outscored 16-9 in the first quarter.

"This is one of 82," said Wade, whose preseason action was limited to the first three minutes because of a strained right hamstring. "Sorry if everyone thought we were going to go 82-0. It just ain't happening."

James announced his intention to leave Cleveland for Miami, revealing "The Decision" on national television 110 days before the opener.

Tuesday's decision went to the Celtics behind 20 points from Ray Allen, 19 from Paul Pierce and 10 points and 10 rebounds from Kevin Garnett. Rajon Rondo had 17 assists, two more than Miami had as a team.

Top Performers

Miami: L. James 31 Pts, 4 Reb, 3 Ast, 1 Stl, 2 Blk

Boston: P. Pierce 19 Pts, 9 Reb, 3 Ast, 1 Stl

Kobe Bryant's 27, Steve Blake's 3 help Lakers edge Yao Ming, Rockets

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5732120

LOS ANGELES - OCTOBER 26: The jersey of Kobe Bryant #24 of the Los Angeles Lakers hangs in the locker room before the start of the new season and game.

If you take out each team's "Big Three" - the Celtics supporting cast outscored the Heat's supporting cast by 11 points. They also had a big edge in assists... thanks to Rajon Rondo, who picked up 17 assists for the Celtics Tuesday.
ESPN Stats & Information​

Associated Press
LOS ANGELES -- Kobe Bryant scored 27 points, newcomer Steve Blake hit the go-ahead 3-pointer with 18.8 seconds left, and the Los Angeles Lakers opened defense of their back-to-back NBA titles with a 112-110 victory over the Houston Rockets on Tuesday night.
Pau Gasol had 29 points and 11 rebounds for the Lakers, who hung the golden banner celebrating their 16th NBA championship and handed out their impossibly gaudy rings in a heartfelt pregame ceremony.
hou.gif
lal.gif

• The Lakers came back from an 11-point halftime deficit, outscoring the Rockets 61-48 in the second half. It's their third straight season-opening win and their eighth win in their last nine games vs. Houston. The Lakers are now 41-22 in season openers, good for an all-time best .651 win percentage.
• Kobe Bryant scored 27 points and had seven assists, slightly below his 27.7 career scoring average in season openers.
• Yao Ming scored nine points, grabbed 11 rebounds and blocked two shots in his first game since April 15, 2009.
• Phil Jackson is now one win away from becoming the fifth coach with at least 1,100 career wins.
-- ESPN Stats & Information

The champs then fell behind by 15 points before rallying for a fourth-quarter lead behind a 3-point barrage by Shannon Brown, who scored 14 of his 16 points in a 6 1/2-minute span.
The clubs traded the lead four times in the final minute, but Houston's Luis Scola missed a difficult scoop shot with 3 seconds left. After officials used a lengthy video review to award possession of the loose ball to Houston with 2.4 seconds to play, Aaron Brooks' layup attempt at the buzzer was blocked by Lamar Odom.
Kevin Martin scored 26 points and Brooks had 18 of his 24 in the first half of Houston's eighth loss in its last nine regular-season meetings with the Lakers.
Yao Ming had nine points and 11 rebounds before fouling out with 6:30 left in his first NBA game since the 2009 playoffs, also against the Lakers. The Chinese center missed last season after surgery on his left foot.
The Lakers didn't make the celebration easy in their first real game at Staples Center since that gut-wrenching, come-from-behind victory in Game 7 of the NBA finals four months ago. Los Angeles trailed by 11 points late in the third quarter before a 21-4 run featuring 12 consecutive points.
But the details of the opener paled in comparison to the pregame festivities for the nine remaining Lakers. The Lakers' rings are ostentatious masterpieces of excess, featuring 16 oversized diamonds for each Lakers title, a three-dimensional rendering of each player's face, and even a small piece of the leather from a basketball used in Game 7 of the NBA finals.

More on the Lakers

lal.gif
For more news, notes and analysis of the Lakers, check out the Land O' Lakers blog from the Kamenetzky Brothers. Blog

In contrast, the ring ceremony was small and heartwarming. NBA commissioner David Stern and Lakers executive Jeanie Buss stood at center court waiting for coach Phil Jackson, who accepted his 11th ring and said a few kind words before introducing forward Luke Walton, who introduced Odom, who introduced Ron Artest -- all the way to Derek Fisher introducing Bryant to thunderous applause.
"This is what we play for," Jackson said.

BOSTON -- LeBron James and the Miami Heat were showered with chants of "Overrated!" They sure looked that way in their debut as a team formed to win a championship.
The Celtics showed off their togetherness against the Heat and won the battle of the Big Threes,

The old Big Three of the Boston Celtics, playing under the franchise's 17 title banners, beat the new Big Three of James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh 88-80 on Tuesday night.

The Heat, though, knew it would take time to jell.

"It's a feel-out process," James said. "When you have so many options, it's something I'm not accustomed to, having that many threats out on the court at the same time."

Celtics coach Doc Rivers is convinced the Heat will progress into a title contender.

"They're going to be great," he said.

Not yet, though. Wade and Bosh weren't even all that good on opening night.

Wade was limited to 13 points on 4-of-16 shooting and Bosh added eight points and eight rebounds. The trio combined for 15 of the Heat's 17 turnovers -- eight by James, six by Wade and one by Bosh. And Miami was outscored 16-9 in the first quarter.

"This is one of 82," said Wade, whose preseason action was limited to the first three minutes because of a strained right hamstring. "Sorry if everyone thought we were going to go 82-0. It just ain't happening."

James announced his intention to leave Cleveland for Miami, revealing "The Decision" on national television 110 days before the opener.

Tuesday's decision went to the Celtics behind 20 points from Ray Allen, 19 from Paul Pierce and 10 points and 10 rebounds from Kevin Garnett. Rajon Rondo had 17 assists, two more than Miami had as a team.

Top Performers

Miami: L. James 31 Pts, 4 Reb, 3 Ast, 1 Stl, 2 Blk

Boston: P. Pierce 19 Pts, 9 Reb, 3 Ast, 1 Stl

I think Wade might be realizing that he just gave his team away.
Lebron is a beast.. the fastest, strongest big guard anybody has ever seen..
he's like a more complete dominique Wilkins.. and anybody on a team with
Lebron is just the help. Until Lebron decides to take less of the spotlight
and get his big strong self down on the block where he belongs,
his teams will always be The Lebron Show.. He should be averaging
about 20 points, 15 boards, 3 blocks and 7 or 8 assists..
If he were to do that with this lineup, his team would have a
legitimate chance of winning it all. But he already walked away from the
team with the best record in the league.. how often do you see that
happen?

What I really liked was seeing Shaq out there doing it again.. The media
has sort of blacked him out for the last couple of years but Shaq still demands
attention on the court. He's still a big body with a ton of experience and
and fist full of championship rings..

Shaq went 3 for 7 from the field and 3 for 8 from the line.. getting to the line that
many times is a good sign. only paul pierce got as many shots from the line.
he got the start and had 9 points, 7 boards in 18 minutes.. and only had 1 turnover..
Thats pretty good for an old man.. compare that with Garnett's 10 points and 10 boards and 7..
yes.. 7 turnovers.. in 36 minutes.. and it looks even better.. I think Shaq is going to have a good
season..

Exactly skuderjaymes!

I will forever go on record and say that I do not hate LeBron; I am not hating on the Heat or anything like that. In fact the truth is I am not even a fan of the game anymore; I am more like one of those ESPN Analysts who do not get paid for their analysis, just as most of us are.

Anyways, yes I watched at least the last quarter of last night's game and as I piece everything together, the Miami Heat, at least for the time being, are another 'LeBron-owned' team. I have reason to feel that now it is LeBron who owns the team, leads the team, has the say, calls the shots; you get the picture. I am not saying that is right or wrong; I am just saying it appears that way.

Last, I spent all summer thinking this squad over and do you realize that by the time they become really good many of the current players on the roster may not be there? Mike Miller is good, but I think he'll be gone by like Year 3. Eddie House, Haslem and Arroyo are good but I can see them gone by like the second or third year(s), and J. Howard, Zydrunas and Jerry Stackhouse are near the end of their careers and could be gone soon as well. Point is, this is a championship team in the making and they will not get "super"-good until coaching changes, the veterans are gone, and new, dominant, game-changing faces start to show up.

Remember when Shaq and Kobe first joined the Lakers? They did not start winning championships right away; they had to drop Walter Campbell, make coaching changes (bringing Phil in), Rick Fox and Robert Horry came in the picture, then they started 3-peating and becoming dominant. I have no doubt in my mind the Heat will do well this year, but 2 things: (1) LeBron runs the team and (2) I just do not see how that current roster, with only 2-3 months of being together, could right away be predicted to win 70 games and a ring at the end of Season 1 (oh yeah - Don't forget about how the lockout will impact this championship run as well because there will be a lockout!). Last note I was just thinking - exactly how good is Bosh and what difference alone does he make with this team?

KWABENA

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back