Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Natural vs. Relaxed

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by MsInterpret, Dec 11, 2011.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I get this from both sides, naturals and relaxed...

Naturals feel like they are better than relaxed because they don't use chemicals in their hair...

Relaxed feel they are better than naturals, because their hair is straight.

I have been both, and when I cut all my hair off I didn't change...I'm still the same person that I was when my hair was relaxed and before my hair was relaxed...

To me, it's whatever makes you happy...Do you! DO IT FOR YOU and bump everyone else's opinion.

Here's a cute video about Relaxing vs. Natural

2. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I had a relaxer for most of my life. I never wanted to go natural because I felt like my hair would be too difficult to deal with. Now that I am natural, I know that I was being ridiculous. Alot of my friends feel the same way though, I talk to them about being natural, but I always get the response that it will be too difficult to deal with. I don't feel like I am better than them at all, I had my hair straightened after I went natural,( a blow out), I liked it, but it was too much maintenance, and I had a few hair casualties that wouldn't kink back up.

I will be honest, I am not the same person. I didn't change drastically, but for me it was something about rocking my hair the way it grew out of my scalp. I felt empowered, I felt like this was me. Not having to get a relaxer, and worrying about sweating my relaxer out, is such a relief to me. I felt like I was getting to know my hair for the first time. Wearing my fro......there is no feeling that describes what I feel when I do. If a sister wants to wear a relaxer, that is fine, but if the thought behind it is my natural hair is too difficult to deal with....then she may need to be educated. Alot of women don't even know how to react to their natural hair, I was one of them once upon a time. I know a woman who has natural hair, no chemicals, but every two weeks she gets her hair blown out. It is gorgeous full and straight. She looks beautiful, that is her preference, and I don't hold it against her.

For me, it is not about wanting straight and kinky, we all are individuals and have our own preferences. It is about having negative feelings towards your hair in it's natural state and trying to hide it.

3. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    The only exception, for me, would the hair of children. I'm sorry but black identity aside? Mothers should not be relaxing the heads of children younger than 12. No ethical beautician would.
    You can screw their hair up.

Otherwise...I'd agree. But, really - it's only online that you encounter these Nappy Nazis. They get on my nerves.
    Meet naturals in the real world, though, and they're completely down to earth.

I'll tell you something interesting: I started wearing weaves and such because it's fun. I can change my hair...and color...and not touch my real hair. If I feel like a short crop that day? Boom! New Hair Do. *laugh*
    I also wore sewins and such to 'hide' my hair or when I just didn't feel like doing it. *laugh*

But...when I went natural then relaxed, I haven't been into weaves and such, anymore. I don't know why. It just feels...'off'.

Well, anyway, I don't care what anyone does. Relax...natural...texlaxed...whatever.
    Just don't do it in ignorance. Some don't thnk it possible but I've seen naturals with hot mess hair, too.

See? For me natural hair was too much maintenance.
    With relaxed hair...all you have to do is Deep condition once a week, flatiron and wrap it (or however you prep it at night).

Natural hair? Ugh. I was constantly detangling and braiding and rollersetting and sitting under dryers.

For my relaxed girls? You need only do a few things:
    Take care of the ends and lay off the heat...because black women don't have issues with growth. They have problems with RETENTION.
    Also? Stop treating relaxers like a cure-all.
    "Oh, my hair's breaking. I think I need to relax it."
    ...then they'll mix the cream, pull the sh--t from root to tip and, 1 month later, wonder why they're 'breaking'.
    Really?
    Black hair's dry. Relaxers are dry-ing.
    Black hair needs moisture. Relaxed hair needs water.
    Most relaxed women can't grow hair because they don't know how take care of it. This is a fact.

They experience success while natural because they're not over-styling and over-processing their hair and misusing chemicals.
    No matter the manipulation, the methods used don't damage the hair.

4. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    This is some good information. I don't relax my hair and have not done so in years and like my natural texture. I like braids too. But I've seen many Black women with relaxed hair and they seem to be doing something right, in my opinion because, their hair looks healthy and seems to grow just fine. But back when I did relax my hair, I butchered it, and I knew it was because it was dry and brittle and had breakage.

I see beautiful Black women all the time with relax hair, natural hair, and weaves, and I just love it.

5. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    The youtube is hilarious!

I hope she didn't get whip lash or a crick in her neck.

6. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382

There's a coroners report out somewhere in regards to this (I'll have to see if I can locate it) but all coroners who have done autopsies have stated that they can tell as soon as they peel the scalp back if a black person has been using chemicals in their hair....so obviously something is physically going on in terms of the chemicals...and if something physical is going on, then something is going on in other ares as well in terms of the chemicals being used. I remember that they mentioned all this green stuff that they saw.

7. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    LOVED the video. Cute and funny! (I thought she wuz gone hurt her neck throwing/flippin' that hair!) lol

I've seen some women with natural hair, even locks....wearing blue, green and grey contacts. ---- Just blows my mind.

If I still had a perm and one of these women said something to me about natural hair, I'd prolly laugh in her face and walk away.

8. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Hmm...I suppose.

There are women who have natural hair and fake fingernails...I mean come on people...it's just cosmetics.

9. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    ^^^^ Well, IMO, a Black woman with natural hair and fake fingernails is not the same as one wearing colored contacts: blue, grey, green... and not the same as "just cosmetics."

There's a thread here somewhere about natural hair/dread-locks and how it's just "fashion" to many, men and women. (I can't remember it/find it, tho. *gasp!* lol) But, it speaks to this same issue.

However, if a Black woman has natural hair but fake colored eyes and may be even bleaching her skin, then she's a walking contradiction to me.

10. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I don't see wearing color contacts or fake fingernails as being detrimental to ones health...unless you consider the lack of oxygen fingernails get when covered in acrylic...where as bleaching your skin and relaxing your hair is.