Black Parenting : Natural, Holistic Parenting (white vs Black)

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by AntiAlice88, Dec 3, 2009.

1. AntiAlice88

AntiAlice88 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +35
    I won't make any statements (yet), I will just show you two examples of natural, holistic mothers and ask you to consider the question of whether holistic white mothers may take "natural" too far...

Exhibit A:

I do actually own and have read her book on how she raised her child holistically on a raw vegan diet, Evie's Kitchen

Exhibit B:

The video won't embed, so you can view the video here....

This sistah has written a book which i also have read and own...

Here is an article on extended breastfeeding as a bonus...

Thoughts?

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    There's no 2nd video.

3. AntiAlice88

Ratings:
    +35
    Thank you for letting me know

4. AntiAlice88

Ratings:
    +35
    The 2nd video featuring Iya Raet won't embed for some reason, but the link is in the post above

5. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    Good Thread

I'm going to let this video speak for itself...

Astrologer4U

6. AntiAlice88

Ratings:
    +35
    Yes, Astrologer, I have seen that video and the entire documentary "Extreme Breastfeeding" that clip was extracted from. I did feel disturbed to see children that old nursing. I personally feel 4 is a good age for the child to naturally self-wean. After 4, i think the child may be taking advantage of the mother consciously and/or may have some kind of complex. I don't know what goes on in their home and I hope nothing inappropriate, especially with the father, so I can't make conclusions/assumptions about the child's sexual health. But I certainly feel after 6 or 7, there is some independent sexual awareness (as in, I am my own being separate from my mother and I am my own girl/woman or boy/man) and certainly no further nutritive value in feeding so nursing beyond that age is indeed extreme and warrants some questioning.

I would cut it off if my child had not weaned himself at 4 at the latest, but a mother nursing after 6 certainly makes my eyebrows raise a bit

That being said, the full documentary is worth a watch if you can find it. It can be uncomfortable and a little sad (there was a woman in the film who wanted to breastfeed her adopted child but was unsuccessful), but thought-provoking and sometimes empowering.

7. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486

I saw the video a long time ago as well, maybe about a year or two ago. When I saw that you asked the question about white folks taking natural a bit to far, the first thing I thought about was that documentary, so I went and got it to post here.

In my opinion, white people are extreme about everything because they lack the natural nature. The way that the white woman sounds in that video you posted, like she has to force her self to sound as natural as possible. As a black woman, and black women in my family and friends, when we breast fed, we just did it cause it was natural and we knew it was, the bonding was a given, nothing to really discuss in long detail. We didn't even think as far as making up documentaries about the experience...LOL but white folks do their best in beating other people to the punch line, even if they have to cheat and steal.

I have no need to show off my skills of naturally connecting with my child, what I did with my child, spoke for itself. However, white people are always striving to be the best at everything in this world over the other races of people. This is why they go to other parts of the world to study people, other than studying themselves like they need to be doing. They copy and mimick everything.

It's not black folk who invented the bottle, so at what time did white folks decide that they was so boogin natural???

During slavery, they wasn't breast feeding their babies, black women were, now all of a sudden they want to stake a claim of natural nature experts???

The woman in the video talkin about she gone let the child be done when the child feels as though the child is done. That's what white folks problems is, they let their children have their way, that's why white boys is running around this world doing what they want like this planet is one huge playground for them.

Ain't nothing natural about not teaching your child how to stand on it's own, after all, Moammy will not always be able to be there.

I personally feel that after 3 years is enough. The child is eating regular table food by then and getting all of the nutrients outside of the mother that it needs. If the child is still breastfeeding at the age 3, while also eating table food, the breast feeding would only serve the purpose of furthering the attatchment.

I understand that in some countries due to scarcity, mothers may breast feed their children longer than the age 3 but if there is no food shortage, there is no reason for breast feeding when the child begins to fully consume whole and solid foods.

If left up to the child and depending on the child, the child would probably never stop breast feeding, why would he if the mother is not making a big deal about it?

Astrologer4U

8. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    White people are nasty

9. AntiAlice88

Ratings:
    +35
    That is so true, astrologer. I know that outside of the West, the nursing average is 3-4 years. I didn't take into account it may be due in some part to food shortage. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

As far as self-weaning children, I've read that most children would naturally self-wean by 4 anyway, and lose their "milk teeth" officially by 7 so nursing after 7 is all around unecessary. I personally would like my child to bond by nursing up to around 4, but if he should naturally stop nursing before then, that's fine as well. Mothers i've spoken with, Black and otherwise, have commonly expressed that after 2 1/2 or so, the nursing would be limited to mornings and bedtime so their child was comforted and comfortable as possible starting and ending the day. That seemed reasonable to me.

One sistah at my mother's church nursed her daughter until 4 and she told me her daughter had wanted to continue, but didn't make a big deal about it after it was made clear she couldn't. So for me to see that woman in the documentary, I thought to myself she was letting the child take advantage.

Did anyone have any comments about Shazzie's endorsement of breastfeeding while making love with your partner?

Besides extended breastfeeding, were there any other things in the videos or that you've personally seen natural white mothers do that you felt was extreme?

10. AntiAlice88

Ratings:
    +35
    A4U, I'm still laughing at this you said: